“Heaven on Earth”

Playa Negra Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Playa Negra Guesthouse is the place to stay if you will be in Cahuita. The property is absolutely stunning, and is surrounded by tropical flowers, plants and all of the bungalows back up to the jungle. It is so peaceful and beautiful we didn't want to leave! The entire property surrounds the pool, with a little outdoor pool house as well. The owner Michele was the kindest gentleman, and was always there to answer any questions we had. He has a couple of German Shepards that roam the property, and they are the sweetest! They are harmless, and just want to eat coconuts and lounge by the pool all day :)
We stayed in the Yellow Bungalow, it has a big wrap around porch, which we spent every morning drinking coffee, and every evening with our wine and beer before we went out. The town is so fun! This property is just a 2 min walk to the raddest reggae bar! They have great food and some nights live reggae music that you just dance the night away too!

But over all these bungalows are the very best you can get in Cahuita. You feel so at home and comfortable. The amount of space you get for your money here is unheard of! Thank you Michele for allowing us to stay at your bungalows and we can not wait to come back next spring!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank BrittanyASimmons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Cahuita is where I go in Costa Rica to disconnect. I absolutely love the town, the beaches and especially PNG. Greg and Michel have gone above and beyond with each visit. I appreciate every detail that they think of in each room or cottage. On this visit, I stayed in the green cottage because I wanted a full kitchen. It was fantastic. As everyone else says, the rooms and cottages are immaculate! The cleaning and grounds staff are efficient and helpful if you need anything. I saw someone complain about insects in the room. OH MY GOSH YOU'RE IN THE TROPICS! The only time I saw an insect in my cottage was when I left food out and a few ants visited. I cleaned up and they were gone. Occasionally other things fly or walk through (saw a moth, centipede) but I always had my doors open to let in sea air. The green cottage has a gorgeous patio where I ate all my meals and read and journalled. It was fantastic. As I drank my coffee, lizards ran by, hummingbirds flew among the flowers and the occasional other insect flew through. That´s why I stay at PNG. I love to take pictures of tropical flowers and every day there were new ones! The butterflies, the different insects, the birds, the howlers, it's a special place.

On this trip I didn't do any day trips but Greg and Michel give great advice. I get around fine without a car. For those concerned about PNG not having breakfast, there is a pulperia (like a corner store) just 100 meters away. It had everything I needed to cook. I also treated myself to Reggae Restaurant one night. Kind of an expat hangout but everyone is cool, the food is great, and the view spectacular.

I have to stick up for my girl Dolly (their German Shepherd). She is the most gentle, loving dog. On my last visit I was there with my 3 year old niece and nephew and they loved Dolly. Since the new dogs are a bit more mischievious, Michel only allowed them out when I said I wanted to meet them. Just like previous visits, if I left the grounds, Dolly stayed by the door until I returned. If you are not a dog fan, just tell Michel and Greg and they will stay in the private garden.

The morning I was to leave, Michel and I were chatting. I was asking how it was they were able to get so many different kinds of plants to flourish in their garden. He responded, "A little imagination, a little money, and A LOT of Costa Rica." The owners love Costa Rica and want to make your visit special too. I cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: The cottages are amazing and worth the little extra money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dianitah525
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Away from it all hideaway, but a close stroll to a couple of little restaurant/bars for an evening meal, and just round the corner from the wonderful Brigitte's Breakfasts of fresh pineapple juice, banana pancakes, coffee and eggs if you have room. (See photo).
The little guesthouse and very private, well equipped cabin rooms (we had the Green Room) are set hidden in the most beautiful gardens - alive with humming birds and dripping with tropical flowers. The pool is delicious, and we had it all to ourselves on the two days that we were there.
Through the gate and literally a stones throw away across the quiet little dirt road is the black beach of Playa Negra and the Caribbean - a wonderful dawn or sunset stroll and/or swim.
The owner Greg was friendly and helpful - and would have organised all sorts of adventures if only we had had the time. Sadly this was nearly the end of our Costa Rican holiday and we were happy just to relax in this beautiful oasis.
next time we will stay for much longer!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The most amazing part of this place is the landscaped grounds (although as mentioned many times below - the rooms, pool and location are all fabulous). It is amazing how on a not so very large lot, every room and cottage feels completely alone. We were a family of 6 traveling with 2 young kids and everyone loved this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived much later than we had planned, a bit harried after several hours on the road from San Jose in a monsoon. Michel was there to greet us and show us to our room, telling us to relax and that we'd deal with paperwork in the morning. Michel is the real deal--consummate host and full of suggestions for Cahuita and nearby Puerto Limon. His pride in Playa Negra Guesthouse was evident as we saw him on the grounds gardening and cleaning all day long. And the gorgeous beach directly across the street was certainly not a detraction from Playa Negra! Very nice place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just got back from Cahuita, and are still dreaming about this guesthouse and wondering how soon we can go back.

We were a family of four, with boys ages 4 and 6. We stayed in the blue cottage and it was heavenly!

The grounds are immaculate, and the pool is divine. The property isn't that big, but you feel like you're in your own little world. The beach is literally right across the street and is lovely. However, it's worth the 10 minute walk down the street to the white sand beach in the national park as well, especially if you want shade close to the shore. Both beaches were so much fun though, and our kids were elated that the guesthouse had boogie boards for them to borrow.

Michel is a rare host. Very kind and sweet. He stopped by our cottage one morning, saying he was going to buy fruits and vegetables, and would we like him to pick up something for us. We didn't need anything but the gesture was so nice. We also didn't get a transfer out until the afternoon, and he was totally fine with us using the pool and amenities (boogie boards, beach towels) and even his office to change, even though we had checked out of our room.

Lovely place, lovely host, very mellow town. A real oasis. Definitely a spot we seriously hope to revisit for a much longer stay. Two nights was a tease!

P.S. - Anybody who might have read the other somewhat negative reviews about the dogs, forget about it. I'm actually terrified of dogs, and I loved their dog Dolly. I never saw all the dogs wandering around unattended. My boys adored throwing sticks to Dolly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Playa Negra Guesthouse is that rare place where everything is just right. We stayed in the Blue Cottage following a recommendation from another family traveling with kids and we were thrilled with our choice. Michel is a caring, attentive host and the type of person who makes you smile. It's no wonder he designed the place with a loving hand and an attention to detail that is all about the guest. The gardens are lush, the pool a complete gem and the cottages a sheer joy to behold. The cottages are classic Caribbean architecture with beautiful porches, high ceilings and thoughtful touches like laundry lines, tons of towels and a stocked kitchen from electric juicer to blender to free ice. The beach is a stone's throw across the dirt road- so close that the waves can be heard all around the property. Our kids had a ball in the pool and the easy-going folks who tend to migrate to PNG went along with the fun much to our relief. The pool area was so pleasant that every day folks lounged and hung out making for fun conversation. The built-in kiddie pool is a godsend for any family traveling with young children. The place is squeaky clean. There is a reason PNG is so highly rated: you will leave refreshed and dreaming of the palms, the monkeys in the trees that surround the property and the oh-so-warm waters of the beach and the pool.

Room Tip: Families should opt for the yellow or blue cottage for privacy and lounging space.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Hotel Banana Azul
#1 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,427 reviews
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort

Been to Playa Negra Guesthouse? Share your experiences!