“Sloths are so cute!”

Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Cahuita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Two types of tours to see sloths and learn about their diminishing rainforest habitat. Sorry, no direct contact with sloths, for their well-being and yours. "Buttercup Tour" requires no advance reservation; just arrive about 20 minutes before the top of the hour (8AM–2PM) to register. Duration about 2 hours. "Insider's Tour" is given twice daily and requires advance booking. This tour includes everything in the Buttercup Tour plus "behind-the-scenes" visits to the NICU, Slothpital, climbing area and more. Admission/donations collected directly support the sloths – their rescue, rehabilitation, wellness, research, housing and enrichments. Thank you for supporting the sloths with your tour!
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Accommodation is a bit expensive and premises have no restaurant near but the tour itself is well worth a visit. The tour includes sloth tour and a canoe tour also.

There are newer reviews for Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'm a huge sloth fan, and this trip completed me. It was so fascinating and exciting and was the reason I had chosen to do volunteer work in Costa Rica. Please do not miss this opportunity for someone totally unique, or you'll regret it. The staff is helpful and friendly and shares in a love for the animals that is obvious when there eyes light up!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went to the Tree of life two days earlier. Well, compared to that rescue center, the Sloth sanctuary was a good, expensive tourist trap, but we enjoyed it anyways. The sloths are very easily accessible and the guides were knowledgeable. The canoe ride was very ordinary, but if you ask questions and look for bugs and animals, the guide will share what he knows. Check the schedule before going, because we had to go twice, as we arrived at 2:15 the first time, and the last tour starts at 2 o'clock...

1  Thank NancyMtl
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went on the insiders tour last week and have to say it was fantastic. I am not a supporter of zoos or keeping animals in captivity, but this center does such fantastic work caring for animals who would otherwise not be able to make it in the wild. Although the owner's main goal is to reintroduce sloths back to the wild, some cannot due to various injuries/disabilities. Staff were fantastic in answering our questions and making us feel welcome at the sanctuary. I highly recommend taking the tour and supporting the great work being done here.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I did feel ambivalent about the visit to the sanctuary. I was very uneasy with the amount of sloths who were in permanent captivity and had no chance for release. I did not like our tour guide, and I was really glad we did not book to stay the night there. I was however very moved by the very intimate moments we had with a forever captive sloth when we were allowed to hold her and have her climb all over us (only part of the insider tour). Seeing the smallest of the orphans in the jungle gym was also really special. I ended up thinking the sanctuary needed a serious rethinking of what their mission is and what is on their website doesn't seem to match the reality in terms of releasing the animals. From what I heard it looked like this: they got one sloth, then they got a second one and now they have 500 sloths and they have no idea how to handle it.

2  Thank travellingsloths