“Changed my life” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Cahuita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Two types of tours to see sloths and learn all about this fascinating animal and its rainforest habitat. Sorry, no direct contact with sloths, for their well-being and yours. 2-hour "Buttercup Tour" requires no advance reservation; just arrive about 20 minutes before the top of the hour (8AM–2PM) to register. 4-hour "Insider's Tour" includes a light breakfast or lunch and goes into greater depth, seeing sloths in the nursery, for example. This longer tour is also limited to 6 guests for a more personal experience.
Colorado City, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Changed my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'm a huge sloth fan, and this trip completed me. It was so fascinating and exciting and was the reason I had chosen to do volunteer work in Costa Rica. Please do not miss this opportunity for someone totally unique, or you'll regret it. The staff is helpful and friendly and shares in a love for the animals that is obvious when there eyes light up!

Visited April 2013

Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hum...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went to the Tree of life two days earlier. Well, compared to that rescue center, the Sloth sanctuary was a good, expensive tourist trap, but we enjoyed it anyways. The sloths are very easily accessible and the guides were knowledgeable. The canoe ride was very ordinary, but if you ask questions and look for bugs and animals, the guide will share what he knows. Check the schedule before going, because we had to go twice, as we arrived at 2:15 the first time, and the last tour starts at 2 o'clock...

1 Thank NancyMtl
Fort McMurray, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Place; Execellent Work Done the Owners and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went on the insiders tour last week and have to say it was fantastic. I am not a supporter of zoos or keeping animals in captivity, but this center does such fantastic work caring for animals who would otherwise not be able to make it in the wild. Although the owner's main goal is to reintroduce sloths back to the wild, some cannot due to various injuries/disabilities. Staff were fantastic in answering our questions and making us feel welcome at the sanctuary. I highly recommend taking the tour and supporting the great work being done here.

Visited August 2013
Seattle, Washington
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Insider Tour was memorable BUT I am glad we did not sleep there or book the basic tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I did feel ambivalent about the visit to the sanctuary. I was very uneasy with the amount of sloths who were in permanent captivity and had no chance for release. I did not like our tour guide, and I was really glad we did not book to stay the night there. I was however very moved by the very intimate moments we had with a forever captive sloth when we were allowed to hold her and have her climb all over us (only part of the insider tour). Seeing the smallest of the orphans in the jungle gym was also really special. I ended up thinking the sanctuary needed a serious rethinking of what their mission is and what is on their website doesn't seem to match the reality in terms of releasing the animals. From what I heard it looked like this: they got one sloth, then they got a second one and now they have 500 sloths and they have no idea how to handle it.

2 Thank travellingsloths
Alfred, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“More like a sloth prison. Very disturbing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you have any sensitivity towards animal suffering, do not go to this sloth "sanctuary." I visted in July 2013 and the conditions shocked me. The sloths I saw were kept in tiny cages and apprently never get to see the sun. The tour was pathetic, given by some arrogant teenager who appeared to know nothing about sloths, and did not care for them at all. The "tour,' which consisted of seeing baby sloths from across a counter trapped in cat cages, was disgusting, and punctuated by long, awkward silences. The guide asked us to touch one of the sloths, as well,-- a very bad idea for the sloths immune system. They should not be directly handled by people. Then we were put on a slow-moving boat for 1 hour, during which time we saw nothing but the mosquitos that bit us. It was a waste on money, but more importantly seeing the injustice of wild animals confined left me skaking with anger. We we asked when the sloths were set free or rehabilitated the guide had no answer whatsoever. One leaves with the impression that it is just a sham sancuary/money-maker for the owners, who evidently have no problem displaying depressed and confined animals for the amusement of spectators. All in all, in my opinion it was a disturbing spectacle. The things people will do to make a buck...

29 Thank Mr T