“Real sustainable living real people real stories”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Province of Limon
Punta Mona Center for Regenerative Design and Botanical Studies
Los Angeles, California
“Real sustainable living real people real stories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you want to get out of your comfort zone just a little and get into one that will leave you to reconsider how you do things back at home... This is it... I am what i like to consider myself a well versed traveler, butt his place left me with yet another notch under my belt to say i did it and I wish I could have been there longer. W picked our own fruits for breakfasts and juices, picked our own vegetables from the fields and greenhouses... a leaf at taste like cranberries and, fresh pesto made from basils, which i never knew there were so many different varieties of basils alone.... I didn't get to meet the founder Steve however, the volunteers and help he had there is amazing.... Te snorkeling and kayaking were absolutely amazing... Did i mention free and included in your cost... Also the organic diet of breakfast lunch and dinner... All free... I consider myself a huge meat-a-tarian and not eating any meat was amazingly tasty and fulfilling... They do cook meat on occasion and i you ask i bet the would cook it for you given the provided groceries but I'd say try something new or if you are already vegetarian vegan.... Trust me you'll fit right in. The library is amazing... The rooms great. No fans no ac... Its sustainable jungle solar power type stuff... I bet they could provide a fan but go without it for a while and don't be a wuss. The carpentry work is awesome... Not perfect dovetails but i bet the main building is under an inch square if any architects are out there. Really well made. Nice nice wood as well , which all comes from the 85 acre farm. You will learn to blow a conch shell like Lord of the flies if your heart desires. There is a lot of diverse plant, including some rare collections. Amazing wildlife living around as well.. Bring bug spray, and flip flops as you will get wet be it from the rain or just the way life goes... Do some yoga, and have fun most of all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Linden, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you are looking to get off the well traveled path and be surrounded by the food you will be eating while you stay at Punta Mona then you have chosen well! I had a great time exploring the amazing garden and learning about all the magical fruit, medicinal plants, and wild greens, that I then got to taste and enjoy. I traveled with my three kids and they had a blast exploring and learning about the local plants and animals. The beach was amazing and totally worth the extra effort to feel immersed in nature and hear monkeys in the distance....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chinchelejo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I cannot wait to go back. Words are difficult to describe Punta Mona... It is a paradise in the jungle; a shining example of permaculture; a place where you feel hosted and cared for; a place where you can unplug, and really unplug; lay by the ocean, or get your hands dirty pruning fruit trees; rugged, yet comfortable; remote, yet..you'll arrive eventually, and it will be worth the effort 100 times over. Stephen and Sarah and gentle, kind, and incredibly knowledgeable. If you want someplace where you can relax, and also learn, this is the place. If you just want to relax, this is probably still the place!

1 Thank Henry S
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I first arrived at Punta Mona in 2002, I went on a recommendation from a friend and squeezed it in over the last 2 days of my trip. I fell in love immediately and as soon as returned to California I started planning my next trip to CR, which would include living and working at Punta Mona. I went back the following year and spent a total of 4 months on that precious land. I fixed up one of the little casitas with some thatch and moved into one of the best houses I've ever lived in. Simple and basic, a little "A" frame structure that sheltered me from the rain, surrounded by the most beautiful jungle I had ever experienced, and it was all I needed. Every day I could feel that land breathing life into me in ways I had never experienced in the states. Within days I was getting my work flow down, hiking through the jungle harvesting yuca, hot peppers, a variety of bananas, bread fruit, jack fruit, miracle fruit, papayas, mangos... and the list goes on. When not harvesting fresh food, or clearing space for new planting with a machete and a shovel, I would swim in the ocean, take a stroll down the beach to the town of Gandoca, or play music with my new farm family. The meals were always a communal experience which was such an amazing part of it all. For everyone on the farm to come together and make fresh coconut milk, homemade chocolate and of course the classic dish "Ron Don" or "Run Down", which was whatever you could run down on the farm that day and mix into a delicious healthy coconut stew! To say that my stay at Punta Mona was a life changing experience is still an understatement. I experienced a type of healing there that no one could ever put a price tag on. It humbled me, inspired me, challenged me, and motivated me in numerous ways. Since those days I have returned several times over the years to check back in with the land, say hi to Stephen and the Gandoca crew, and I am always happy to see that Punta Mona still lives strong and has grown and improved more and more over the years. I look forward to returning again one day!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good room, go to Puerto Viejo... If you're looking for a good life...
2 Thank Ryan H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I love Punta Mona with all my heart, and cannot wait to return! Having been all over the world, there is not a single place as peaceful, gorgeous, and centering as "monkey point." I am already planning my next trip to Costa Rica and plan to spend half the time at Punta Mona. This is an incredible jungle paradise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was lucky enough to see Punta Mona grow over the years, and had the opportunity to experience it from multiple perspectives. Punta Mona was and still is my first love in Costa Rica, and will remain a gem on the Caribbean coast. This is truly a one-of-a-kind place if there ever was one.

Howler Monkeys, Tropical Fruit everywhere, the Caribbean... the food is delicious, and freshly prepared with ingredients that are picked moment before eating them, the staff is there because they wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world, and there is peace there that is not found anywhere else.

Come for a day, or a month, matters not. You will be in paradise in your heart, mind, and body.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I did a permaculture design course here so I was able to spend a month on this magical land.

Stephen an Sarah are the best! They made me feel right at home as soon as I arrived.
My boyfriend and I had a beautiful private room with windows overlooking the jungle.
My only complaint would be the hungry Mosquitos that liked to hang out on our mosquito net. But hey, A few bites is a small price to pay for such an incredible experience!

I'll never forget waking up to the sound of howler monkeys, practicing morning yoga in the beautiful yoga space and learning about permacuture from amazing teachers.

This center is a beautiful example of living and thriving in a sustainable way. The food they grow is unique and delicious, always made with love. Its very inspiring!

You leave feeling radiant, reconnected and so nourished. :)

• Stayed June 2013