The wide variety of reviews of Selva Verde puzzled me until we stayed there for three night in March. I think for anyone not used to the tropics this might be a great experience, especially waking up to howler monkeys booming right outside the bedroom. The setting is gorgeous, with rooms built on stilts so that the walkways look down into the jungle. But luxurious it isn't - inside, the rooms are getting a little seedy and in need of redecorating, a bit like a third-rate motel in Florida; if it's raining, which it mostly does, after all this is the rainforest - the lack of windows means you get into a damp bed and put on damp clothes in the morning - and there's constant roaring background noise from the road, where trucks use their engine brakes on the slight hill. The bungalows across the street are air-conditioned, but they are kept closed up when not in use and smell of mildew. Be aware that the foot bridge over the river was taken out by the aftermath of the recent earthquake, so that most of the private rain forest is no longer accessible to visitors. The food is plentiful but basic - it reminded me of a Florida boy scout camp - loads of fresh tropical fruit and the ubiquitous black beans and rice. A small restaurant has been opened that serves light suppers a la carte, though when we were there the chef was ill and pizza was the only thing on offer. But you can sit and watch a flock of toucans feeding on bananas on the bird table as you eat, and the staff are unfailingly helpful and friendly. There are hotels in this price range in Costa Rica which can provide the wildlife experience and comfortable rooms and sophisticated food all together - it's a great pity that Selva Verde isn't quite keeping up with them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selva Verde is more than a lodge and more than a rainforest reserve. It is your gateway into a magical world of towering Almendro trees, Mantled Howler Monkeys, and Keel Billed Toucans. Immerse yourself in tropical nature as you hike through deep green forest or reflect quietly in a comfortable hammock. Discover something new as you encounter Selva Verde's amazing wildlife and vibrant people. Rekindle your sense of wonder and experience the out-of-the-ordinary. Experience Selva Verde! Located just 2 hours from San Jose, Selva Verde provides easy access to the wonders of the rainforest. For over 30 years, we have been a haven for nature enthusiasts from around the world. Our abundant biodiversity, comfortable rainforest lodge, and exciting activities are ideal for adventure seekers, bird and wildlife watchers, students, and families. Come explore Selva Verde's 500 acres of vibrant tropical nature in the heart of Costa Rica's Sarapiqui Canton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Selva Verde Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selva Verde Hotel Sarapiqui
- Selva Verde Lodge Costa Rica/Sarapiqui