We stayed at Selva Verde for only one night, but really enjoyed it. It's an oasis of rainforest in the midst of a mostly agricultural area. The dark-wood rooms built on stilts in the midst of the forest felt very remote. One of our party spent 90 minutes lying in the hammock outside his room, just marveling at the wildlife and gorgeous plants.
Staff was generally friendly --- made terrific drinks in the bar. The dining room, which looks out over the river, felt a bit like a summer camp, complete with slightly institutional food served buffet-style.
We took the river cruise offered at $20/head. It was a bit sedate and the guide spoke limited English. But we did see a fair amount of wildlife, including lots of howler monkeys, a huge iguana, some nice birds, a sloth, etc. Finding the cruise on our own was an adventure in itself -- it left from a difficult-to-locate spot behind what looked like a snack bar, 10 minutes drive downriver from the lodge.
I was awakened very early one morning by the howlers and decided to do the 6 am free birdwatching tour. It was surprisingly interesting. We saw some gorgeous toucans, parrots, hummingbirds. Plenty of other animals on the grounds. We heard some of the longer walking tours were good, too.
I thought the place was good value for money and definitely worth a visit. We had some children with us, but almost everybody else appeared to be a serious birdwatcher or part of a group. Very few other children. But that could have been just at the time we were there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selva Verde is more than a lodge and more than a rainforest reserve. It is your gateway into a magical world of towering Almendro trees, Mantled Howler Monkeys, and Keel Billed Toucans. Immerse yourself in tropical nature as you hike through deep green forest or reflect quietly in a comfortable hammock. Discover something new as you encounter Selva Verde's amazing wildlife and vibrant people. Rekindle your sense of wonder and experience the out-of-the-ordinary. Experience Selva Verde! Located just 2 hours from San Jose, Selva Verde provides easy access to the wonders of the rainforest. For over 30 years, we have been a haven for nature enthusiasts from around the world. Our abundant biodiversity, comfortable rainforest lodge, and exciting activities are ideal for adventure seekers, bird and wildlife watchers, students, and families. Come explore Selva Verde's 500 acres of vibrant tropical nature in the heart of Costa Rica's Sarapiqui Canton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Selva Verde Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selva Verde Hotel Sarapiqui
- Selva Verde Lodge Costa Rica/Sarapiqui