“Beautiful Hotel”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We spent the last night of our two week Costa Rican vacation at this hotel. We booked a room on the executive floor which gave us access to the Executive Lounge. This entitled us to complimentary internet, printing, evening hors d'oeuvers and a great breakfast. The pool and hot tub were great as was the beautiful spanish colonial architecture of the building and property. We had rented our vehicle with National Car Rental and they have a kiosk located at this hotel and this was convenient for drop off when we checked in. The only negative for us was the fact that the hotel seems quite loud due to the tile flors in the hallway. It seems that every noise in the hallway is easily transferred to the rooms. The hotel is only a 10 minute taxi ride to the airport which worked out well for us. This hotel is not a budget minded Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. If you are looking for a bargain do not book here. This is a premium property and is priced accordingly.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose

Reviewed February 26, 2011

We choose this hotel because it is quite close to the airport and away from the filthy city of San Jose.
We have stayed in other Marriott hotels but I can not say that this one is on top of our list.
It is a beautiful building but that is almost it. The rooms are in desperate need of an update especially the carpeting (very filthy). As described by other TripAdvisor members it is a very noisy hotel. The hallways are tiled and there is an echo of people talking and rolling suitcases all through the hotel. We paid for an executive room but let me tell you it is not worth the extra money. The room is the same of any other room, the executive lounge is dated and the breakfast is terrible unlike the normal breakfast in the restaurant which is not included in the executive package. You are obliged to take breakfast in the executive lounge. The snacks in the afternoon are not to write home about. The only positive thing is the Tapas Restaurant , which provides a good ambiance and good food.
Staff are ok but not like in other hotels in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dd220786
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Talk about legal thieves...these dispicable cockroaches took me to the cleaners.

I was charged $19 a shot for Grey Goose vodka and $15 a shot for Smirnoff.

The manager assured me he remedied the situation and he did not.

These rotten no good thieves and the Marriot organization can buzz off.

I will never return to the Marriot.

The people of this webistes need to adjust their stinkin attitude toward my review.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I booked this hotel as a splurge for our first night in Costa Rica. It is close to the airport and the building and grounds are gorgeous. However, the room stunk like mildew. (i realize this is a tropical country however much lower priced hotels we stayed at had no smell issue). And the worst part was the noise. All the hallways in the hotel are tile. They look nice but they echo. So people walking in the hallway sound like they are right next to your bed. People were in the halls all night long. It was so incredibly loud.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACMC75
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed there for a night in between our trip from Manuel Antonio, and our flight.
Pools were excellent, and the fitness center great too. The grounds were gorgeous.

We ate dinner there, at the Tapas restaurant but it was not very good - the shrimp were cold and overcooked, and not worth the price. I would recommend going out to dinner instead. Breakfast was fine.

We would stay there again, as it a very comfortable way to assimilate back from the more remote areas we've traveled to.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Overall a very nice property and hotel itself, but these guys really do aggrevate you with all of the little fees and costs once you're on the grounds. Internet? Oh no, you're paying for that one, even though it's free almost everywhere else I've stayed in CR...and this place is double the price of those hotels!

Bottle of water on your sink in the bathroom? Don't drink it, it's $5! The restaurant gave me a bullet rice risotto for $28 I believe, not impressed. I think the breakfast buffet was something like $22 each so we just skipped it and went to the little cafe to the right of the entrance.

Having said that, that cafe is really great, a lot of nice desserts and sandwiches for prices that aren't as scandelous as the main restaurants. The fitness center was fantastic as well, if you're inclined to work out on your holiday. What's funny is they had a big water dispenser in there for free so we would take a couple of our empty bottles and go fill them up :) $5 for a bottle wasn't doing it for me!

The grounds are beautiful as is the architecture of the hotel itself, but I think this place tries to nickle and dime you way too much. We stayed in the Arenal area for 1/3 of the price and it was double the place (Volcano Lodge & Gardens if you're interested, now there is a hotel!)!

If you're on the expense account and happen to stay at the Marriott, you'll love it, if not, I would personally look elsewhere. I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it, which is rare for us as travellers.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Jarvis777
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We ended our 2 week trip in Costa Rica here with a 2 night stay. We arrived at this Marriott from the Tucan Hotel in Uvita - a hostel - and we thought we would appreciate the luxury. In reality, it seemed generic. Everyone spoke English to me - I do speak fluent Spanish. The rooms are exactly like any other Marriott room in the world. And in true Marriott tradition, nothing is free and everything is overpriced, albeit great tasting & over the top. Would I stay there again?... maybe, at least I would know what to expect, but I'd only stay one night.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 77 in San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!