“This Hotel Saved our Vacation”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia
“This Hotel Saved our Vacation”
Reviewed March 21, 2007

My husband and I returned two days ago (3/20) from staying
at the Marriott Costa Rica. We were scheduled to return Saturday 31/7 but had our vacation extended thanks to USAir and their inability to handle bad weather on the east coast. When our flight was canceled we had no cell phone, no computer and no hotel reservation. USAir had orginially tried to rebook our flight home for the following Saturday, at the gate were able to move that up to Wednesday, 3/21.
Next we hopped in a taxi to the Marriott knowing we didn't have a reservation. We had not been there before but I remembered seeing the signs for it as we drove to the airport.
My husband is a silver elite member and we hoped that would help, plus we figured if there were no planes leaving there were no planes arriving with people checking in.
The front desk took pity on us and gave us a room for two nights, but could not promise any more. Thanks to Anton they were able to find the extra night.
The hotel is beautiful. The service wonderful. Our room was on the sixth floor and looked anything but a typical Marriott. The view was stunning. Diana in the Business Center must be complimented on her excellent service and her wonderful demeanor.
We continued to be surprised with dinner that night at Isabella's a tapas restaurant complete with flamenco dancers. All in all, this Marriott turned what could have been a miserable experience into a wonderful extension of our vacation. I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The view. the pillows, the service, the fact I had a room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LindaII

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I did stay in this hotel from March 2006 until August 2006 3 times.

The Hotel is very nice and has all to offer what you would expect from 5 star Hotel, at present it is doing some needed renovation.

The rooms are well furnished and well maintained, the service is great Room-service is very good, The Restaurants offer a good selection and the Food, with a very good Breakfast Buffet and Brunch.

I personally did not like the Hotel Spa, the pool garden area for a city hotel are well done with good service. The prices are on the high end but ok for the product you get. Employee attitude is great.

Great place to stay in San Jose and very close to the Air Port.

• Liked — All Hotel Services
  • Disliked — The Spa
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank GlobetroterAmericas
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I was quite hesitant about staying here after reading some previous reviews. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel. This was my first trip to Costa Rica and on the plane ride over I sat next to a local return home. He assured me that I am staying at one of San Jose's top hotels. We stayed for 4 nights with access to the concierge lounge. I highly advise seeking access, I was granted because of my Gold status, so I'm unsure of the cost. It was well worth it... various drinks... fruits... cheeses' and appetizers daily (and I'm talking eggs, sausage, quesadillas, etc). I personally hate when hotels skimp in the concierge lounge.
The staff was very attentive and courteous. The hotel restaurants are pricey but your kinda stuck because the closest restaurant is a short cab ride away. The pool was excellent… the hot tub was excellent. I took a tour and on the way back we dropped off folks from other hotels and I was glad we chose the Marriott. This place was like a breath of fresh air… it will truly make you feel like you are in a authentic Costa Rican Villa and not your typical hotel. The only thing that was missing was the beach and it would have been perfect. Trust me… stay here and you won’t be disappointed. I took a few pics, check em out.

Stayed January 2007
9 Thank cwiley34
Victoria
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Stayed here in January and the construction of the new wing is definently an intrusion on the usual excellence of the hotel. It would be OK if they discounted their prices but they dont and as other reviewers have said the extras here add up. The Sunday buffet is to die for so, as is the all round service.

• Liked — food, service, pool
  • Disliked — construction, prices
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Ruperto
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stayed on January 25 & 26 at this hotel. I had a room on the third floor. I was not disappointed about the hotel based on other reviews. The personel was just fantastic and attentive. My only issue was the construction of an extension or another hotel right next to the Marriott and I mean right next to it.

I was awaken at 6:30am by a constant noise coming from hammers, electric saws and people talking. I was about 5 rooms away from the end of the hall and the noise felt like it was right next to my room. The problem is compounded by the open layout of the hotel with many opening to the outside on every floor.

So when checking make sure to ask for a room away from the construction which I believe would be rooms with a number X26 and above. Other than this problem it's a great hotel and I recommend it.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank chem_flwr
USA
Reviewed January 28, 2007

If you are planning on staying at the Marriott, Costa Rica anytime soon, make sure that your room is FAR away from the construction. The front desk will fail to tell you that construction is taking place and if your room is located anywhere near the wing where they are adding 50 more rooms, you will be awaked at 6am with the sound of hammers, drills and saws! We just returned from a weekend there, and even after complaining to the front desk, they did nothing to compensate. The hotel was full and they had not empty rooms, but still charged us FULL price even though we were only able to use the room 12 out of 24 hours! Totally out of line! The manager at the front desk did nothing except say "sorry". We arrived on a Thursday and woke up on Friday to the noise, we went to front desk to ask if there was another room available. They only had one, but the manager said that there was "no construction on the weekend", therefore we decided to stay in the room only to be awakened Saturday at 6am once again to the noise! They work from 6am to 6pm, so don't even consider a nap. If you are going to Costa Rica anytime soon, find another hotel if you plan on getting some SLEEP!

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank Gal-7
clson
Reviewed January 25, 2007

The Marriott lives up to the pictures on its web site. It is a perfect spot to stay on the way through San Jose - very convenient to the airport, but not in any way an "airport" hotel. Everything about this hotel is tastefully done, with a luxury-European feel. The rooms are beautifully appointed. The tapas bar restaurant was top notch, (loved the Spanish stone-cave atmosphere) as was the main restaurant. There is also a nice casual coffee shop attached to the gift shop. We loved the large attractive hot tub set up a hill in some trees apart from the pool. The two pools themselves we found a bit too cold to swim in - because of the altitude of San Jose, the climate is temperate, not hot. Poolside service, however, was superb (although the water spritzer bottles they brought around were unnecessary given the cool temperature!). The setting is gorgeous, particularly given the proximity to the city, with to die-for sunset views from the bar and restaurant. The breakfast buffet was extensive and beautifully prepared.

• Liked — How consistently tasteful everything was
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank clson
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#4 of 85 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!