“A good base for your trip”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“A good base for your trip”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

A beautiful hotel that works great to have as a base when you start and finish your trip. It's close to the volcanoes and downtown at the same time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Leadville, Colorado
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I was very pleased with my stay at the Marriott Costa Rica. I booked my travel at the very last minute (less than 10 hours before I left for my vacation). I had no time to research the different hotels. I have to say that this hotel lived up to the Marriott reputation. From the time that I arrived until I left the staff were awesome. The most friendly that I have ever encountered. The hotel is close to the airport (about 10 min or less) but not so close that all you hear are planes taking off. It's outside of downtown San Jose so it is very safe (at least I felt very safe). The hotel itself was beautiful / clean and had all of the amenities that included two beautiful pools and a driving range. They have a tour company on-site that can assist with planning various activities. The travel staff were very knowledgeable and also very friendly. This hotel exceeded my expectations and I will stay here again on my next trip to Costa Rica and I would certainly recommend to all types of travelers (I was a solo traveler). It was a great base of operations for seeing the various sites in Costa Rica (Arenal, Isla Tortuga, Poas, Irazu, Monteverde, Tabacon Hot Springs).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Beautiful grounds, beautiful buildings, and a wonderful stay. Probably the most attractive Marriott I've ever been to. Just gorgeous. Mountain views, forest, a creek on-site, walking paths, strange trees and birds...

I ate in the Concierge Lounge and it was pretty good but I didn't use the restaurants or bars, so I can't address them. I didn't see any place (store, restaurant, bar) within walking distance, but I would be happy to just stay in the Marriott compound for days. The people were friendly, cabs were easy (and you can charge them to your room), and it is extremly safe and secure.

We took a cab (around $17) to the central market and it was worth visiting. Cabs from and to the airport were $7 and $12. The beach is about two hours away -- a lot farther timewise than you would think. The airport was close and excellent. No problems, very modern, and some decent souvenir shops. Five minutes to go through security at mid-morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GatorNation
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2010

After reading multiple reviews and taking my best guess, I picked this Marriott location for a 4-day get-away. The hotel has a beautiful compound and lots of greenery around. The rooms are comfortable, clean with a great view. I picked the room on the top floor and was very pleased with the sunlight as well as view. I would strongly recommend the 6th floor. This Marriott is a self-contained one with a few interesting places to eat:
- On-site restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating -- I really liked it.
- Cafe -- could not stand their coffee but the morning pastries were great
- Spanish Restaurant with Tapas - ok
Overall, I would strongly recommend trying out their soups in all the menus -- Tortilla, Asparagus and Seafood Soups were the best. Morning breakfast buffet has great selection and worth going after.

The hotel is at least 15 mins drive from a nice mall with a few eateries and other stand-alone restaurants.

The concerige service at the hotel is excellent. Through them I was able to schedule a few nature and adventure tours and loved the experience. I missed one of my tours one early morning and the conceirge was kind enough to accomodate me for the next day.

The on-site spa on-site has a lovely suana/steam room with a semi-outdoor whirlpool. I was very impressed by the cleanliness, maintenance and overall decor. Definitely worth trying. It is complimentary with your stay so do check it out. The hotel does not tell you about the steam room/suana service but you have to explore the place on your own.

Last but not the least, I loved the 24x7 gym that I availed on a daily basis. All cardio equiment was in great shape and had a real cool TV system on the equipment that monitored your exercise as well as gave you access to view and listen to the channels in both english and spanish. There is a trainer available on a daily basis. In addition, onsite tennis courts were available for the guests. Do make sure to ask for a receipt at every location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 18, 2010

What a beautiful hotel - the grounds are extensive and well maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the pools are gorgeous. The room is standard but with a resort-like, very authentic vibe. What I liked best was the wooden doors and open atmosphere of the whole hotel. Gorgeous. To top it off, during our stay, the Guns N Roses were staying at the hotel as well! We enjoyed the hotel (especially since it was a free stay using my boyfriend's Marriott points) UNTIL we tried to go to sleep. The walls and doors are paper thin. You could hear other guests passing by the room word for word. But the worst of all, there was a couple arguing for HOURS upstairs - throwing and breaking glass, stomping, screaming - until 3AM. We heard EVERYTHING and couldn't sleep a wink. Good thing was that we finally requested the hotel staff to quiet them down, the noise decreased dramatically and we could sleep 2 hours before our flight. Yay for staff, yay for beautiful grounds, nay for dramatic couples!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed April 11, 2010

With the mixed reviews this resort has received I must admit that I did not really know what to expect. Maybe the first thing that should have clued me in was the difference in cab fare from the airport. Others have written that it is $14. I paid $7 + tip. Maybe others did not go to the taxi cab window? We found the resort to be gorgeous and the service in all areas excellent. I don’t know if changes were made at the resort, or if previous reviewers were just a little ticked off about something. There was a previous review about the resort charging $1200 to a credit card on arrival. We had the same experience, but it is not a charge, it is simply a hold based on the amount of the reservation, in our case a week, so there was a hold of $1200, which was simply credited to our total bill.

The rooms themselves may be just a tad bit bigger than the normal Marriott room, although the high ceilings give them a much bigger feel. They are beautifully furnished. The bathrooms are roomy with a deep tub for soaking. The onsite facilities include two pools, a giant hot spa, 24 hour fitness facility, spa, two tennis courts, driving range, putting green, exercise trail, and miniature soccer field! There are also the restaurants. The prices are equivalent to what you would find in the US, so no bargains here. We found the service to be fantastic…again not what others have written…and the food was very good (tip: use the Lizano condiment, it is delicious!) We did go to Kiantis which is close by ($3 cab). The food is good and reasonable ($10 for dinner, $2 for a glass of wine).
It is going to be a couple of hours or more to any of the destinations such as volcanoes, zip line tours, river rafting, beaches, etc. But there is a tour company on site that can make all of the arrangements for you. This place gets a thumbs up from us.

Final two tips: 1) go to the mall close by ($7 cab), buy a $2 cooler and buy your soda, bottled water, beer, and wine at the supermercado, bring it back to the room, and have room service deliver a large bag of ice. You’ll save a lot of money over pool side service. 2) They charge for internet access (boo), but if you get it for multiple days, the price per day comes down...or have a drink in the bar area and they'll give you a free wifi access
code.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Odenton, MD
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of our Costa Rica adventure. This hotel is beautiful and seems more like a JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton than a traditional Marriott. We found every staff member to be wonderful with the one exception of the Concierge. The bellmen went out of their way to help us load and unload luggage and presents each day. They helped carry packages to and from our room and never once loooked for a tip. In fact, when we did tip them each day, they almost seemed hesitant to take it. They remembered our names and room numbers. The housekeepers were prompt and complied with our requests before check in. The pool servers were friendly and the food while expensive, was ample and tasty. My sister and I both had massages and hair cuts while there. The spa is new and very clean. We were the ony ones enjoying it the morning of our treatments and we were given the VIP treatment. I highly reconmend their treatments and hair services. I paid a quarter of what I pay at home for a great haircut and style! The rooms at the hotel were large and the beds comfortable. The pool was very cool, which wasa nice change from the rest of our trip. There are plenty of lounge chairs and space in which to swim. Overall, we had no complaints at this terriffic hotel. It was a perfect place to spend two days relaxing before our return flight home.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 77 in San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!