“Disappointment”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Disappointment”
Reviewed January 19, 2007

We spent 8 days over Christmas at hotel because we wanted a known property. Bad mistake. Property is beautiful and staff for most part very friendly...that's where it ends. Prices were outrageous - a bottle of wine we buy for 13. in US was 90.US there. Food was fair. We paid extra for ability to use Exec. Room. No one challenged 5 to 6 folks who were let in this room by someone already there. If you didn't get there early for breakfast, food picked over and not replaced. Only good thing you could take free bottled water from there several times a day...in guest room $3. for small bottle. We had Christmas night reservation at La Isabella. Nothing but mass confusion and poor service. Overbooked for sure. This hotel is only interested in making money. This hotel is basically used for one nighters arriving in San Jose to start their vacations and at the end before flying out and the local folks eating at the buffets.... really nothing is done to show long termers they're appreciated. After you've paid $l4. for a glass of cheap wine for 8 days what's another dollar per person but on checkout you will find that charge for "Habitat"..another poor example of what the Marriott shouldn't allow. This was second time disappointed with a Marriott stay.

The tours were ok. Overpriced and now that we've done them, we did put ourselves in dangerous situations in a third world country.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
22 Thank myakkalady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed January 11, 2007

My wife, 15 year old son and 9 year old daughter stayed here Dec 2004 for 2 nights. Friendly and helpful staff, beautiful hotel.
Would stay here again!!

• Liked — Hotel was beautiful
  • Disliked — Not much around within walking distance
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled with family
6 Thank Whitney S
Reviewed January 11, 2007

I was a little apprehensive about making reservations for my Costa Rica trip and decided to play it safe by staying at Marriot hotels. Well this hotel has a wonderful spanish flair, an open courtyard feel and very comfortable beds. Dinners were wonderful and I felt worth the money.

We booked tours to the Central Valley sites from this hotel (ie. Arenal Volcano, La Paz waterfall gardens and white water rafting).

My only complaint was that all these wonderful destinations were hours away. I would definitely book hotels in the Arenal area and stay a few nights there if I were to do this again. Then maybe I would actually get to see the volcano rather than spending 12 hours on a tour and then seeing nothing.

Not the Marriots issue.

• Stayed January 2007
11 Thank donduka
Pittsburgh
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,317 helpful votes
Reviewed January 10, 2007

We spent three nights here over the Christmas holdiays. I agree with the majority of the other reviews regarding the facilities. The room, pools and common areas are all very nice. Sounds like we may be the exception, but the service was consistently bad.

It started with the laundry service. I had run out of shirts and needed one for the next day. I called the front desk to verify whether the laundry prices were in colones or dollars. They incorrectly told me colones, meaning that the price was actually double what I expected. I told them that I would like to have 1 hour express service. After a 2nd phone call and an hour wait, they picked up the laundry. I eventually got the laundry back the next morning around 9:30. I had called several times and they had no idea what had happened to it.

Next issue was the service at the La Isabella restaurant. The food was very good but the service was terrible. They essentially ignored us for about 45 minutes.

The next day I tried to make a few reservations with the women at the concierege desk. They were clueless. I had e-mailed them in advance to make a golf reservation for us. They told me that we had a reservation but that the golf course didn't assign tee times. (A golf reservation without a tee time doesn't seem like much of a reservation.) My wife also tried getting a tee time through them and received the same response. We ended up calling the golf course and got a tee time.

The concierge people had previously e-mailed me and told me that they had made a dinner reservation for us at the Macchu Pichu restaurant in Santa Ana. I asked them to double check and they said that Macchu Pichu didn't have a restaurant in Santa Ana. I had to pay $8.00 to use one of their computers to pull the address of the restaurant off the internet. They then called and were able to make the reservation that I had been previously told was made. (Machu Pichu is a pretty well known restaurant in the San Jose area, with three locations.)

We also had problems with the guys that hail cabs. Since they spoke very good English, and the cab drivers didn't, I relied on them twice to tell the cabbies where we wanted to go. Both times they gave them the wrong place. The first time we were 6- 8 blocks away. The second time they told the cabbie the wrong town.

The cleaning people generally did a pretty good job but didn't clean the room until 4:00 or so. That got real old.

A few other miscellaneous comments/observations:

Prices were very high - similar to what they charge at resorts in California or Florida. E.g. glasses of wine cost $10 - $15.

We paid about $80/night extra to stay on the Club Level. The hospitality room was very well managed and had a pretty good assortment of food that they put out through the day. For our family of four, it was a close call whether we got our money's worth. If the kids weren't with us, I wouldn't consider it.

We had great meals at Macchu Pichu and Ceruttis. Note that Cerutti's is very expensive. We paid $350 for four, including a $50 bottle of wine.

Catching the hotel's shuttle to the airport worked out very well.

• Liked — The room, pools and common areas.
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
31 Thank Jeff K
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2007

I would echo what the other reviews said. I was the least excited about this hotel when we were planning our stay, but it became my favorite memory. Calling this an airport hotel does not do it justice as I believe it is a resort worth going to Costa Rica to visit!

The banana plantation it is on is beautiful and I would recommend this hotel for an exotic formal wedding as the historic chapel on site is gorgeous. The buffets for dinner were such a good value and offered great quality and variety that we opted to bypass the other hotel restaurants. There are so many great niches in the hotel, between the pools, bar, lobby, and terraces to sit and have a drink and enjoy the environs.

The cost of drinks is pricey, but do reflect what they charge at all nicer hotels throughout the country ($7 for a drink). You will pay the most if you drink wine rather than cocktails.

Stay at this hotel at some point if you fly into or out of San Jose. The rooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable. Throughout this hotel, much attention is left to decorations and detail.

• Liked — It is so close to airport and very high quality for Marriott
  • Disliked — The tour desk and coincerge are not very knowledgeable or helpful
  • Tips/Secrets — t
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bbotch
potomac
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We have stayed at this Marriott on three occassions and I like it better each time. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms very comfortable, the pool is great, the walking paths are a nice diversion, the food was excellent, etc. I had one complaint about the staff, so minor it is not worth mentioning. This is a great hotel and a great way to start or end a trip to Costa Rica.

• Liked — the hotel setting
  • Disliked — the slow service at the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Alberta
Reviewed December 26, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott Costa Rica one night prior to flying home. We booked the Marriott, hoping to get a very nice, modern, clean and quiet room with internet access, and a hotel shuttle. We got exactly what we wanted (and then some).

Our room at the Marriott was the nicest and most comfortable room I stayed in during my entire trip to Costa Rica. Beautiful decor, feather beds, nice large room. The hotel grounds were very attractive, and there were a lot of ammenities on site. The Britt store and Cafe was a great place to get coffee and light meals.

If I was in town on business, or looking for a great airport hotel, this would be a top choice.

• Liked — Feather Beds
  • Disliked — Live music until 9:00 PM could be heard inside of room.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RandomScreenName7042
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 76 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!