“Stay at this hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay at this hotel!”
Reviewed March 14, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Costa Rica Marriott Feb 26 and 27 and wish we'd stayed longer. I can't say enough positive things about this hotel. Great, helpful, friendly, efficeint staff and very nice and priced well rooms. They have two on sight restaurants. One is a large family style place where you get the wonderful complimentary breakfast. And the second is an intimate charming smaller place with great food. During our meal in the smaller restaurant at about 9:00 pm the diners were treated to a great show. There were two spanish guitar players and two female dancers. Felt like we were in a private club in Spain. All and all had a great time. Also they are very close to the airport, less than ten minutes, if you have an early flight as we did it was helpful.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We arrived at 11:30pm after an excruciating lengthy flight. We rose at 3:30am to catch our flight. (That's what you get when living in Nowhere, Canada.) The front desk staff were helpful and accommodating when they saw our 5 & 7 year old. The kids were tired and so were mom and dad, therefore we wanted to get to bed ASAP. Instead of adjoining rooms, they gave us a beautiful suite and the bellmen brought the bags up FAST.

We stay at very nice hotels and resorts. Fortunately (unfortunately for my pocketbook) we are able to and have become accustomed to 4 star service and amenities.

What we liked about this hotel was:
The attention to decor detail: huge rustic doors and door frames, simple wrought iron fixtures, etc. Modern without compromising the history of the building.
Service: front desk staff notice your presence, restaurant staff are attentive, etc.
Breakfast buffet: I HATE buffets. They flavored for the masses: usually bland and/or salty. I also don't care much for breakfast. Everything was excellent. Some traditional N.A. dishes and some traditional (I think) Costa Rican fare. There was fresh fruit was phenomenal including some I've never seen or tasted before. (Can't remember the names.) Did I mention the coffee? The best coffee I've ever had. They mix it with hot milk but it’s slightly sweetened (not sweet like condensed milk though). Unfortunately, we didn't have the opportunity to eat lunch or dinner but the breakfast buffet was superb!

Our only regret is that we didn't have an opportunity to stay longer.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank Iamuzak
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2006

Arrived at the Marriott the Friday of President's Day week with my wife and 2 teens. At 10pm I was told that there was no room available even though my travel agent confirmed the longstanding reservation two days earlier. "One group had their flight cancelled and by Costa Rican law, we can't throw them out," I was told. After speaking to the general manager, I realized they were just grossly overbooked. He apologized profusedly and arranged to have us sent by taxi to the nearby Ramada where we stayed on the very nice club floor and breakfast was thrown in. Apparently this happens all the time. So if you'd like a nice room at the Ramada, book at the Marriott.

Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We stayed at the San Jose Marriott December 2, 2005 on our way to the Marriott Los Suenos on the coast. We loved the San Jose Marriott. The service was great and the hotel just had a wonderful feel. We stayed again prior to departing the country. The hotel has a shuttle that goes to the Los Suenos Marriott once a day. A good, economical way to get to the Los Suenos.

We had dinner at La Isabela. Excellent food and service. Tour agency at the hotel arranged a tour to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Highly recommend.

Agree with Frommers descriptions of the San Jose and the Los Suenos Marriotts. Los Suenos has a nice pool and a golf course, but if I can get back to Costa Rica, I would stay at the San Jose Marriott. Some differences between the two that tell alot: Floats at the pool - $10 per day at Los Suenos, free at the San Jose; towels at the pool laid out on the lounge chairs at the San Jose, have to be checked out at Los Suenos, writing pen in the room at San Jose - well designed, distinctive, with a Costa Rica look; pen at Los Suenos - plain black like any you find at most Marriotts in the US.

• Stayed December 2005
14 Thank sunsetviewer
austin tx
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We really liked this place - a very easy trip to/from the airport. I think there were 6 restaurants and bars, maybe even more than that. Live music, cigars rolled before your eyes, and lots of other surprises.

The rooms were very cute - we had a fantastic view of the mountains beyond the pools. Lovely grounds to walk around too.

It's more suburban and resort-y than San Jose proper, but we weren't that interested in San Jose anyway - we were much more interested in getting out to the mountains, volcanoes, rainforests, etc.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank karybird
Westminster, CA
Reviewed January 8, 2006

I very much enjoyed this hotel. It is designed to look like you are on a coffee plantation. It is brand new and has two very nice pools plus a very cool secluded jacuzzi that looks like you're in the middle of a jungle the way it's located. Very small spa however, so sign up for those massages early! I think they only have two treatment rooms. The bar is nice, and the bartender is very cool and can make you just about anything you want. They have some pretty high end liquor too, I had a shot of tequila and I don't remember the name but it was $30. The food was okay, breakfast made me sick but it wasn't the only one on this trip so I don't think it was the hotel. It is a perfect location in San Jose and very close to the airport as well as downtown, but I didn't like San Jose very much so I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time here. As someone else mentioned already the beds are unbelievably comfortable, I wouldn't say better than Westin but every bit as good. I think two nights and then move on to other parts of the country like Arenal or Guanacaste.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank schererd
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 76 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!