“Enchanting Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Enchanting Hotel”
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed here a few years ago on an anniversary trip. It is an amazing place. We stayed our very first and last two nights of a 10 day trip around Costa Rica. I cannot tell you how unique and beautiful the grounds, the pool and the architecture is. I filled my camera with artsy photos of a hotel! We ate a breakfast out on the terrace which was amazing in taste, price and ambience. We also had a romantic dinner and drinks in one of the larger restaurants. This is a must, beautiful accommodations and great staff.

• Liked — the beautiful architecture and grounds
  • Disliked — didn't stay long enough
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at the Marriott in San Jose, Costa Rica as part of a recent trip to Puerto Viejo. We stayed there on our first and last nights in Costa Rica. It is really a beautiful and authentic hacienda styled hotel, one of the most unique we've stayed in.

The rooms were just perfect and the service was low keyed and efficient. We loved sitting in the hot tub in the evening and enjoying the views of the surrounding mountains. Transportation to and from the San Jose airport (less than 10 minutes away) was free and easy. And although you may be concerned as you transit to the hotel through the industrial area in which it sits, once you turn into the property you will find yourself in another world (the hotel sits on a 30 acre coffee plantation).

This hotel is a great way to start and end a vacation or adventure in Costa Rica. We used Marriott points for our stay, so the cost was not an issue, but even if you have to pay full price for a room, it is worth it.

• Liked — Overall look and feel of the hotel, and proximity to the airport
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, CA
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I stayed one night at the Marriott after flying to Costa Rica, en route to Punta Islita, and also one night after returning from Punta Islita on my way to a Panama Canal cruise. The Marriott was one of the prettiest hotels I've seen. Beautiful design, gorgeous decor, very, very nice rooms. On the spur of the moment, I visited the Spa for a massage the night before driving to Caldera to board a cruise ship. I think the gal's name at the spa was Sophia, and to this day I've never had a better massage. I felt like a million bucks! She was fantastic.

I wish I'd stayed at the Marriott longer! When I left the weather in San Jose was nice and the weather in Punta Islita, miserable. If I do this trip again I'll stay at this great hotel more than a night here and there. The room I had shared a spacious balcony with three other rooms. I never saw another person out there. Had my breakfast on the wide terrace, it was very nice.

Great service, good value for your money, nice grounds and pool. I am very fussy about hotels, I like them to be beautiful, nicely decorated, clean, luxurious rooms and good, friendly service. This hotel delivered on everything.

• Liked — Beautiful. Friendly Serivce. Nice rooms. Spa was great.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank SantaAna
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We stayed at this hotel the last night of a 6 day trip to CR. We had been staying at a small 5-star boutique hotel in another city, and came to the Marriott the day before flying back to the US. The Cost Rica Marriott hotel is very large and well taken care of. The outside and inside is beautiful! The pools and golf area were also attractive and well taken care of, although the pool water is a bit on the cold side. The fitness gym is standard for most American hotels--a redecorated hotel room that was made into a fitness center--nothing special. There are two restaurants, a bar, and a coffee cafe in the hotel. The food at the hotel was good, above average, but not gourmet by any means. The hotel is situated about 3 miles away from the airport, and there is a complimentary airport shuttle. If you are interested in the sites in downtown San Jose, you will be required to drive or take a cab. It is about a 20 minute journey to city center from the hotel.

• Liked — Attractive property
  • Disliked — Americanized experience in Costa Rica--little Costa Rican cultural influence.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
miami
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Hands down! This is the best hotel in Costa Rica. Get a pool view and book your tours via the onsite tour company. The staff and tour company at the hotel are extremely friendly and very welcoming. You will not regret your stay. I will be back next year. Oh, one more note....go the Kiantis restaurant nightly, which is a 3 minute drive from the hotel...better food at 80% less of the cost of the hotel's restaurant prices! Okay, last note..book the evening tour for Pueblo Antiguo to enjoy a great show and dinner.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Liked everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank keno305
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We´ve stayed three times now at the Marriott in San Jose, Costa Rica and it´s always been an outstanding experience. We´re met at the airport and shuttled in a clean, air conditioned van. The grounds, rooms, service are always exceptional. This is our first stop every time we come to Costa Rica and we stay there our last night before leaving. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We have just returned from Costa Rica and luckily only had to stay one night in this hotel, it was awful. From the guy at check in who had no clue what he was doing, then the drink that arrived with an insect in it, and the cold lunch, which was a pizza my partnert took a bite from it and realised it was cold, so we sent it back, they returned the same pizza with a bite out of it which they had obviously reheated in their oven or micro even though it had obviously been in his mouth! Next was the business centre where I was charged $8 per half hour, even though I had to wait half an hour for the internet code, I then had to pay 75 cents to print one sheet of paper and when I went to do this there was no ink in the printer, so had to wait over half an hour for them to work out how to fix this, so my online airline check-in took me almost 2 hours and they had the cheek to still charge me $9 for the appalling service.

We found the linen on the beds to be cold and damp.

The morning of departure we knew we had to leave by 7am so we arrived for breakfast at 6am, but 6.50 we still had not received out order of omlette and eggs, the waitress kept telling us, just a moment, but nothing ever arrived, there was only one other customer in the restaurant and 3 cooks!! So we left without any breakfast, and happened to spot the Duty manager on our way back to our room, we tried to tell him our grievances only to be told 'he was actually on his way to the bathroom'.

I am totally shocked by the severe lack of service we received and how unhappy and unhelpful the staff were having been in Costa Rica for 10 days previously we hadn't found this attitude anywhere in the country except this hotel.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank justme29
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 77 in San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!