“"Beginning of a wonderful vacation"”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Whether it's just an overnight on arrival in Costa Rica, or a base for exploring San Jose, this location is excellent. A quick 10 minutes and inexpensive cab ride from the airport. Views are beautiful. The staff is very friendly, and can't do enough for you. The spa is relaxing and the buffet breakfast is to die for! This is not your typical Marriott, it is a hacienda type colonial building with real Spanish flavor. Room 208 with a balcony overlooking the pool was very convenient to the pool and restaurants..
Special thanks to the friendly concierge Vanessa....I don't think the staff ever rests...you see them being helpful and friendly constantly.

Room Tip: Room 208 pool view had a lovely balcony with a few steps steps down to the pool area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

You are totally right, our property is conveniently located so close to the airport, that allow you to rest after a great adventure thru the country, or if you are just returning front it, perhaps a little beaten by a long drive, or just too much fun at the canopy tours, trails and aerial trams.

So, why not to rest your sore body, and relax at the Kuö Spa, we have a special therapy to meet your physical and spiritual needs, did you get to enjoy a personalize massage with organic essences? You were able to choose from: a refreshing peppermint to soothe and clear your mind and five other organic essences.
It seemed you did love our ground level pool view room feature a terrace.

I am so happy, to learn that our staff is fully committed to provide you with a unique experience in search of service excellence. Hopefully, we will have the pleasure to repeat this experience for you once again.

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Very cozy, friendly staff, and great pool. The gym and executive lounge were also very good.

The only thing keeping this hotel from being a 5, is that there was a lot of noise in the morning by the staff (we were on the first floor).

Overall, an excellent experience and I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew:

Let me extend you my deepest appreciation for your honest and valuable feedback. We are working on this aspect, creating conscious among our associates to keep quiet in guest’s areas.

I am sure that on your upcoming vacation you will be able to enjoy of a peaceful and silent atmosphere. It is really nice to know that you did enjoy our Fitness Center, equipped with the state of the art cardiovascular and strength-training equipment and our Executive Lounge.

Your comments are the pillar that allows us day by day to offer you an exceptional quality service!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I guess I'm used to staying at the courtyard Marriott’s, so I was EXTEMELY surprised by my visit here, but from others who have stayed in the area at very high profile resorts, wished they stayed here instead. Where do I start?!?!?!..the convenience from the airport (San Jose) to here was quite impressive (only 10 minutes). The staff and service, 5 star, overly accommodating and friendly. The grounds, immaculate (great 1 mile run on the path and beautiful gym). The room, we stayed on the top floor overlooking the pool, and waking up every morning to the beautiful mountains was breathless, especially with our Juliette terrace, our room was 610. Spa was amazing. Such an open and inviting resort, loved how the hotel wasn't enclosed, you always felt like you were at an outdoor palace. If I had to give anything negative it would be that the pool was cold. I'm used to heated pools and would have preferred at least one of the pools to be heated, but if that's my biggest complaint, how can you complain?!?!?! This was a business trip for me, and I chose to stay there to piggy back on pleasure, and I’m glad I didn’t switch resorts for my personal vacation. Had such a nice mix of family, singles, and business folks that it made it the perfect choice! Stay here and you won't be disappointed, i know many others who have stayed in other resorts in the area and were VERY disappointed.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the pool. I know a lot love the ground floor as you have a patio
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Suzie:

Your enthusiasm in sharing your experiences and how much you did enjoyed the magnificent views of the mountain range, your room featuring spacious and luxurious accommodations; it is really contagious and enviable.

It is clear to me, that you got a direct connection in harmony with all the gifts of nature that this privilege country has to offer you for your full enjoyment and relaxation. Our facilities won’t mean anything, without special guests like you. Yes, we provide you with a genuine spirit to serve, but you are the real and unique reason for us to keep up with our good work.

Hopefully, in a near future we will have the pleasure to have you back in our hotel!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have had the pleasure and privilege of staying at this magnificent hotel before but this
time wanted to compliment several employees that we had the pleasure of meeting and
dealing with on this trip, during "Semana-Santa" weekend. While EVERYONE who works
at this hotel is friendly and accommodating, on this trip we spent a good many days sitting
out by the pool and two of the pool attendants, namely Minor and Erick were just so attentive
that we felt they definitely should be commended in our review this time. Steve, a bar tender
and waiter at the lovely Antigua Restaurant on the first level is another "jewel." He is always
smiling and ready to do anything he can to make certain you are satisfied with your meal
and your drinks. "Billy" at the Cafe Britt is just phenomenal - talk about a "gourmet chef" -
Billy fixed our breakfast for us every single morning and I just can't say enough about how
delicious all of his breakfast creations were along with his personal service to make certain
we were totally happy with the fantastic French Toast, the many Omellettes he created
especially for me every morning, the Bagels and Cream Cheese - just amazing! We sure hope
we find Billy still at the Britt's Cafe on our next visit to this beautiful Marriott. And last, but
certainly not least, is Andrea at the Front Desk who made our check in this time, so easy and
pleasurable and then each and every time we returned to the Check-In Desk with a question,
she was right there, ready willing, and able to help. Again, I am sure I have said this before,
but will say it again - there just isn't any other hotel in or around the San Jose area that I
would rather stay in, than this gorgeous Marriott in San Antonio De Belen.

Room Tip: The higher floors have the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Jinglegirl:

I think we are the privileged ones on having you back, and be able to create a memorable stay in such a way that you enjoyed our associate’s devotion to the art of hosting. Every little detail that you have mentioned on this review, about our friendly staff and how they always go one step ahead in order to make you feel home and warmly welcome, also make me realize that we are lucky as well to have them as part of our team.

Just, imaging those delicious Omelets, French toast accompanied with a recently brewed fresh coffee, make me hungry and transfer myself to the beautiful gardens that surround the outdoors terrace at our casual Casa Del Café, at the same time you get to enjoy the variety of happy birds signing and flying around.

Fortunately, you came at the right time of the year, for summer, in Costa Rica it is well known as dried season, so you could enjoy the beautiful views of the Central Valley by the pool.

I just can’t wait to meet you personally on your next coming vacation and be able to have the honor to keep providing you with an exceptional service and exceed on each trip your expectations.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel is one of those rare finds that exceeds expectations. I have traveled to Costa Rica many times and have been a loyal Marriott member for years but have never stayed in San Jose until this week. Now, I know that there is an elegant- yes, elegant, estate like resort hotel five minutes from the airport with rich dark wood furnishings, and all the amenities of a five star American Hotel. With a restaurant equal to anything in San Jose, or Miami or New York, it's a perfect venue before or after a trip to Costa without rushing to or from the airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the hill side city lights.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Walshtjw
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

It's flattering to know that our efforts to always provide quality service to our customers is highly appreciated by a special guest as you are for us.

Marriott is honored to be able to have such a loyal customer like you for so many years , that keeps us striving to improve every day and exceed your expectations.

Isn't wonderfull the view of the hills from your room at night? What a perfect view before go to bed and have a pleasant sleep.

On your next visit to San Jose your may consider to take a one day tour to the butterfly gardens , the coffee plantations , or enjoy the towering volcanoes and beaches to only an hour from our hotel.

After this unforgettable experience we would like to welcome you to our Antigua restaurant to offer that service quality and delicious international food that you already tasted.

We look forward to have you back soon and have the privilege to host you once again.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Beautiful hotel. Rooms, grounds, restaurants, pool, etc. was great. 5 minutes away from San Jose International Airport. For an airport hotel, we were surprised there was no free airport shuttle. Then, we were told there are taxi's at the lobby which could take us. They are there 24 hours a day so no problem getting a taxi. However, we were shocked it costs $15 to the airport. It was a 5 minute ride!!! What a rip off. I was offended by the hotel 1) not having a airport shuttle, then providing the only option which was a total rip off.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

It's flattering that you enjoyed our hotel that way , it is unique in its kind in Costa Rica . The gardens surrounding the property give that magic that transports you to a place of dreams.

Our hotel is located just minutes from the city of San Jose and a few kilometers from the Juan Santa Maria International Airport , this property is considered an oasis of tranquility in the city .

For your next visit we would love to assist you making transportation arrangements according to your needs.

We look forward to exceed your expectations on your next visit. We value your business and preference.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were there as part of a 9 day Caravan Bus tour of Costa Rica. Their food is excellent; they have a great fitness area; the staff is very friendly; they're about 5 minutes from the Mall, where you can get anything under the sun. The architecture of the hotel is stunning & contemporary. I seldom go to a spa, but I had a tour discount, so I decided to try it. You should too!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Tom:

I am wondering how many pictures you will have taken, how many amazing landscapes you did contemplated from this blessed land by its endless natural resources.

Our cuisine is characterized by its mixture of tropical fruits as coconut, guava and mango, I hope you have fully enjoyed this exquisite explosion of flavors, combined with the cozy and intimate atmosphere of La Isabela featuring Peruvian delicacies.

I am glad, you decided to pamper yourself and visit the Kuö Spa, Kuö means skin in the Costa Rican ancient and little known indigenous language Cabecar. Skin of the body, bark of a tree, earth’s crust and also speaks of the coffee bean and the process it goes through to get rid of its skin and obtain its precious fruit.

So for your next vacation, now you know where to go. Here at the Costa Rica Marriott, it is always a special place reserved for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 78 in San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!