“Stay on your way in or out of San Jose”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 27, 2008

It is a beautiful hotel - gorgeous grounds. Very convenient with shuttles and taxis easy to get. The restaurant was excellent - buffet breakfast - so many choices! Temperature is so nice, we enjoyed eating on the porch- and stayed dry even when the rain came in.

The pools are beautiful too! San Jose is not like the rest of Costa Rica - so don't stay here all vacation, but an excellent place to get acclimated to a new country before you launch to your ultimate destination. Everyone speaks English here. Many tours will pick up and drop off here. We took the Ecoscapes Highlights tour with overnight option. Booked directly on the ecospaces website. Great way to get started. After that we took a grayline bus from the Marriott to our hotel in Manuel Antonio.

I would definately stay here again.

1  Thank MdWeekender
Write a ReviewReviews (1,876)

Reviewed July 5, 2008

Reservations made thru Marriott's owner services. Being Marriott
owners, Marriott's San Jose, Costa Rica is the finest Marriott's we have ever had the pleasure of staying at. We have stayed at many Marriott's Hotels and Resorts over the years, all being of the Marriott quality, but this by far is the jewel. We arrived May 27 for 11 wonderful nights. The staff was simply outstanding. The room and facilities beautiful, the food excellent. We had many requests for the Hotel starting months before our arrival and again during our stay. Each and every request was answered and met with professionalism, quality with a smile. I just today saw a review dated 6/23/08 acknowledging Marco and Ronald from the Hotel. Writer, you have it right on. We had the pleasure of meeting these two young men on the Concierges Lounge level each day and they were superior. Another young lady that deserves major credit is Melisa Boniche V., guest services in the executive office. She provided so much help putting all the things we requested together and making everything go so smoothly. Melisa, Marco and Ronald our definately all management material. I would also like to mention Carlos at the front desk and his valet staff, very professional and great at detail. There is one another person who made our adventure a real success, he is Jose Coto of CTT transportation services (they handle Marriott's transportation). Melisa set up Jose to be our personal guide for 7 straight days. We saw so much and had so much fun. He took us to the little known places that the average traveler would never find. He knows everybody, lots of history and is an excellant driver. He is like family now and we owe so much of a great time to him and Melisa. If you're going there he is a must, even for one day's fun. One last thing, I have never completed a public review before for any place or person. The Marriott's San Jose was so outstanding I wrote a two page letter to General Manager Alexandre Esmeraldo expressing our appreciation and
commending him and his abilities to produce such an excellent
team. Hat's off Sir, from one business man to another. If I ever buy a Hotel, I am coming after you.
Rodney and Robin Bosche', Novato, California

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RodneyRobin
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. My husband stayed here on business for a week before I joined him. I stayed one night before heading out to other parts of Costa Rica.

I was very nervous about arriving alone in a foreign country. But customs and immigration were very easy. And the man from the Marriott was right outside the entrance holding a big sign. Even though my name wasn't on the list for the shuttle (my husband was supposed to take care of this), I assured him I was staying there and he let me on the shuttle. I had to wait about 15 minutes. It was probably about a 10-15 minute drive to the hotel.

I was so impressed with this hotel right away. The grounds were immaculate, the pools very pretty (although I didn't swim in them), the rooms clean and modern, the beds comfy, the service excellent, the restaurants delicious. Everything was top-notch. This might very well be my favorite hotel now. It rates right up there with the Fairmont Scottsdale.

I loved the Antigua restaurant for breakfast. I had the Costa Rican breakfast and it was yummy. So much food. We sat on the patio with a beautiful view of the grounds and the mountains. We enjoyed the little coffee shop and bakery. They had a nice patio too. There was a great gift shop where we bought all our souvineers (t-shirts, coffee). We also enjoyed a drink (I think I had a coconut martini--delicious) at the main bar upstairs.

My husband said the internet connectivity was fairly reliable, but pricey. I think it was $15 a day for a wired connection. Not a big deal for him since his company paid for it. But we wouldn't pay that for just us to use for personal reasons.

My husband also went to the spa for a deep tissue massage and a men's facial. He said they were both excellent.

All right, so I think that covers everything, I hope. We truly loved this hotel. So much that we actually cut our stay short in Manuel Antonio to come back here for the last night of our trip. Our hotel in MA didn't have A/C, it was broken. So we got a refund for our last night there and came back to San Jose early. We loved our hotel in MA, but the lack of A/C was intolerable. It was like a whole new vacation coming back to the Marriott. Especially nice that we could sleep in and have a nice leisurely breakfast before heading to the airport for a long day of travel.

2  Thank Beth76
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Stayed in the Costa Rica Marriott three nights in June on the way to and back from the Los Suenos Marriott. The Costa Rica Marriott is in Heredia, very close to the airport. It is in a very nice area, we took a walk one morning to a nice mall which included a grocery store (MegaSuper). The hotel’s service was phenomenal. The staff is extremely nice – Marco at Concierge and Ronald in Executive Lounge. The room’s are built around an inner courtyard where you can stand and watch and hear the daily rain (it rained every day without fail in the late afternoon). If you plan to drive in San Jose, get a gps. Even then, it is tough navigating as streets don’t seem to be labelled. I had read that Central Market is for the locals, which it looks like at first glance. After being elsewhere, I realized the prices there were for the tourists. I paid $1200 colones for a horchata drink that I got later for $400. And Lizano Salsa was overpriced as well. It is fun to walk around the area (outside central market) and see the fruit vendors, etc. We ate at Manolo’s, famous for their churros – they had reasonable priced meals and good Costa Rican food.

2  Thank jalebi
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Lovely quiet setting – it was so good to be in a hotel that is not surrounded by freeways and carparks. The first room they gave me was 604 and it is right next to the lift so it was a bit noisy and then they moved me to room 478 which was much quieter.

Good points – quiet location, room service was quick and the food was good, the pool is great and I like they have a big pool and then a smaller for the kids and the spa was great, surrounded by green areas so you can run or walk, internet was fast, the TV allows you to connect your DVD which is great for someone like me that travels with a portable DVD. I have to give them full points as the pool is nice and quiet, that is thankfully they don’t have loud music around the pool which is so common in other hotels – I hope it stays this way. If I returned to this hotel it would be great to bring my kids who are 7 and 9 and I think they would have a great time in the pool.

Bad points – I struggled to get a hot shower in the mornings. The bed was too soft so after 3 days my back was killing me. One day whilst walking I came across one of the security guards dressed in black and sporting a glock strapped to his thigh. The building is brick and concrete with ceramic floors which make it a bit of an echo chamber. Also, sound tends to travel a long was as there is nothing to absorb it. There is music in the bar or restaurant each night and when they pumped up the based it was quite annoying and I was in a room a long way from the source of the music. Each room has a large wooden door with automatic closer which causes the door to bang shut so this creates a lot of noise plus the staff tend to bang around a lot. Also, they could turn off the dinger in the lift as it just creates a lot of unnecessary noise.

The checkin was rude and fast. Checkou was friendlier The final bill was a bit of a mystery – I had booked directly on the Mariot site and they had quoted US$209/night. In the fnal bill they charged US$209 @ Colones 527 plus 3% hotel tax plus 13% sales tax. The exchange rate that had on the day of checkout was US$1=Colones 513 so why were they charging 527 – the reason given was the 527 was the rate when I checked in, however for the breakfast I had on the morning of my checkout they used 513.

All in all my review sounds bad but I really liked this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank munizaga
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Wow! What a great place to stay for the first night of our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Even though the rain was pouring down outside, there was plenty to do between the spa, excellent gift shop (although overpriced), business center, great restaurants, and beautiful pool and hot tub area. Definitely worth the money! Also close to the city, so plenty of stuff to see and do in the area.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank kalarabe
Reviewed May 21, 2008

This was easily one of the nicest Marriotts and nicest hotels in general that I've ever stayed at. The only one that was comparable was the Marriott in Delray Beach, Florida where I once stayed for work--and that was easily twice the cost per night.

I stayed for 2 nights before flying back to the US. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the nice bell staff...who took my one measily bag and helped me to my room. The front desk staff were also accommodating (just saw the other review--not sure how these people could be rude...seriously!).

I stayed in a standard room with one king bed. They were able to check me in early (before normal check in time) and honored my requests for room type (I like to be on a high floor). Walking into my room, I immediately felt relaxed. The decor is inviting--with some faux colonial Spanish touches, like the rest of the hotel. If you're used to Marriott rooms, though, it's pretty similar to most of their rooms...though I'd say the bathroom and overall quality was a notch higher. The room has high speed internet (charge applies), iron/board, umbrella (thought that was a nice touch), safe, coffee maker and mini bar.

The property is gorgeous. It's located in this semi-industrial sort of area out near the airport, but within the hotel property, you'd never know it. The design of the hotel is Spanish colonial, which is done in a way that isn't cheesy. This impressed me because that is something that could go really wrong really quickly, but they pulled it off.

I ate at each of the restaurants the hotel offers. One--La Isabella--is a tapas/wine bar. The tapas I had were good, but I felt the overall bang for my buck was higher at the other restaurant. At the tapas bar, I had 4 tapas, 2 glasses of wine, bottled water, dessert & coffee for about $72--a bit high. I do think it might be a nice place if you want to just have a glass of wine, share a plate of something, and listen to the live entertainment (flamenco-esque guitar players the night I was there). At the other restaurant, I had an appetizer, glass of wine, bottled water, main course, dessert, and coffee for under $50. At both restaurants, the service was excellent and I wasn't treated like a leper because I was alone (this HAS happened at other places). The coffee bar on site is also nice--with a selection of pastries, coffees, and snacks.

I thought the gift shop had a nice selection of gifts--some of the typical things you'll see all over CR and some different things. I bought some stuff here to take to people back home and found the prices a notch below the airport shops, but probably slightly higher than other places.

The bell staff can arrange a taxi to take you downtown or anywhere else which can be charged to your room. (Don't be misled--I saw something somewhere that said this hotel has a Downtown shuttle--they don't). Cost to downtown: $17. A cab on the return trip overcharged me...I knew it, but when I asked the bell staff, they were profusely apologizing and said I should have called them over. To me, that represents how all the staff were--almost overly accommodating--as if it was their fault that the guy ripped me off! Though they don't have a downtown shuttle, there is an airport shuttle that runs every half hour.

The pool was great--it was a relaxing way to finish off my trip. I didn't use the jacuzzi, health club, or spa services, but they all looked great. I was particularly impressed with the health club--much more extensive than many of the hotel workout rooms I've been in that only have an old treadmill and a broken universal! I didn't use the equipment, but it looked to be very new and in good repair.

The only negative is that, well, you're staying in a high quality hotel in Costa Rica--and though everyone is nice, it's a different experience from staying in a smaller hotel/B&B. But, I really think it is a good way to begin/end your trip if nothing else. I have to say that after spending an afternoon in Downtown San Jose, I felt tired and grimy and the best thing was to retreat here (and I like big cities!) The price is definitely worth it in my opinion. As a single traveling female, I felt welcome and safe! I was thinking as I sat in my room that I'd love to just fly here and spend a night when times get stressful!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank PlangalDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
1 mi away
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#5 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!