“Quiet location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chile
“Quiet location”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Lovely quiet setting – it was so good to be in a hotel that is not surrounded by freeways and carparks. The first room they gave me was 604 and it is right next to the lift so it was a bit noisy and then they moved me to room 478 which was much quieter.

Good points – quiet location, room service was quick and the food was good, the pool is great and I like they have a big pool and then a smaller for the kids and the spa was great, surrounded by green areas so you can run or walk, internet was fast, the TV allows you to connect your DVD which is great for someone like me that travels with a portable DVD. I have to give them full points as the pool is nice and quiet, that is thankfully they don’t have loud music around the pool which is so common in other hotels – I hope it stays this way. If I returned to this hotel it would be great to bring my kids who are 7 and 9 and I think they would have a great time in the pool.

Bad points – I struggled to get a hot shower in the mornings. The bed was too soft so after 3 days my back was killing me. One day whilst walking I came across one of the security guards dressed in black and sporting a glock strapped to his thigh. The building is brick and concrete with ceramic floors which make it a bit of an echo chamber. Also, sound tends to travel a long was as there is nothing to absorb it. There is music in the bar or restaurant each night and when they pumped up the based it was quite annoying and I was in a room a long way from the source of the music. Each room has a large wooden door with automatic closer which causes the door to bang shut so this creates a lot of noise plus the staff tend to bang around a lot. Also, they could turn off the dinger in the lift as it just creates a lot of unnecessary noise.

The checkin was rude and fast. Checkou was friendlier The final bill was a bit of a mystery – I had booked directly on the Mariot site and they had quoted US$209/night. In the fnal bill they charged US$209 @ Colones 527 plus 3% hotel tax plus 13% sales tax. The exchange rate that had on the day of checkout was US$1=Colones 513 so why were they charging 527 – the reason given was the 527 was the rate when I checked in, however for the breakfast I had on the morning of my checkout they used 513.

All in all my review sounds bad but I really liked this hotel and would return.

• Liked — Pool, quiet surroundings
  • Disliked — Building becomes a bit noisy like an echo chamber
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank munizaga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Wow! What a great place to stay for the first night of our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Even though the rain was pouring down outside, there was plenty to do between the spa, excellent gift shop (although overpriced), business center, great restaurants, and beautiful pool and hot tub area. Definitely worth the money! Also close to the city, so plenty of stuff to see and do in the area.

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — Some things overpriced
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank kalarabe
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 21, 2008

This was easily one of the nicest Marriotts and nicest hotels in general that I've ever stayed at. The only one that was comparable was the Marriott in Delray Beach, Florida where I once stayed for work--and that was easily twice the cost per night.

I stayed for 2 nights before flying back to the US. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the nice bell staff...who took my one measily bag and helped me to my room. The front desk staff were also accommodating (just saw the other review--not sure how these people could be rude...seriously!).

I stayed in a standard room with one king bed. They were able to check me in early (before normal check in time) and honored my requests for room type (I like to be on a high floor). Walking into my room, I immediately felt relaxed. The decor is inviting--with some faux colonial Spanish touches, like the rest of the hotel. If you're used to Marriott rooms, though, it's pretty similar to most of their rooms...though I'd say the bathroom and overall quality was a notch higher. The room has high speed internet (charge applies), iron/board, umbrella (thought that was a nice touch), safe, coffee maker and mini bar.

The property is gorgeous. It's located in this semi-industrial sort of area out near the airport, but within the hotel property, you'd never know it. The design of the hotel is Spanish colonial, which is done in a way that isn't cheesy. This impressed me because that is something that could go really wrong really quickly, but they pulled it off.

I ate at each of the restaurants the hotel offers. One--La Isabella--is a tapas/wine bar. The tapas I had were good, but I felt the overall bang for my buck was higher at the other restaurant. At the tapas bar, I had 4 tapas, 2 glasses of wine, bottled water, dessert & coffee for about $72--a bit high. I do think it might be a nice place if you want to just have a glass of wine, share a plate of something, and listen to the live entertainment (flamenco-esque guitar players the night I was there). At the other restaurant, I had an appetizer, glass of wine, bottled water, main course, dessert, and coffee for under $50. At both restaurants, the service was excellent and I wasn't treated like a leper because I was alone (this HAS happened at other places). The coffee bar on site is also nice--with a selection of pastries, coffees, and snacks.

I thought the gift shop had a nice selection of gifts--some of the typical things you'll see all over CR and some different things. I bought some stuff here to take to people back home and found the prices a notch below the airport shops, but probably slightly higher than other places.

The bell staff can arrange a taxi to take you downtown or anywhere else which can be charged to your room. (Don't be misled--I saw something somewhere that said this hotel has a Downtown shuttle--they don't). Cost to downtown: $17. A cab on the return trip overcharged me...I knew it, but when I asked the bell staff, they were profusely apologizing and said I should have called them over. To me, that represents how all the staff were--almost overly accommodating--as if it was their fault that the guy ripped me off! Though they don't have a downtown shuttle, there is an airport shuttle that runs every half hour.

The pool was great--it was a relaxing way to finish off my trip. I didn't use the jacuzzi, health club, or spa services, but they all looked great. I was particularly impressed with the health club--much more extensive than many of the hotel workout rooms I've been in that only have an old treadmill and a broken universal! I didn't use the equipment, but it looked to be very new and in good repair.

The only negative is that, well, you're staying in a high quality hotel in Costa Rica--and though everyone is nice, it's a different experience from staying in a smaller hotel/B&B. But, I really think it is a good way to begin/end your trip if nothing else. I have to say that after spending an afternoon in Downtown San Jose, I felt tired and grimy and the best thing was to retreat here (and I like big cities!) The price is definitely worth it in my opinion. As a single traveling female, I felt welcome and safe! I was thinking as I sat in my room that I'd love to just fly here and spend a night when times get stressful!!!

• Liked — Everything--the atmosphere, the service, the comfort...
  • Disliked — That I wasn't seeing the "real" Costa Rica...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank PlangalDC
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Just returned from Costa Rica and had an incredible experience with the hotel. Great amenities and a pleasure to come 'home' to after each of our tours. Took in a wondrous massage too. We had a fabulous view of the mountains and the gardens from our hotel room. Tip: Buy your liquor from the duty free store at the airport and just order your mixers at the hotel..saves $$!
This hotel is centrally located for the tours we took. Breakfast bar was great (especially since it was included in the room price). We generally ordered room service in the evenings after our tours, the service was excellent. On our next visit to Costa Rica, we will probably stay the first and last night as many of you have recommended, and explore the Guanacaste and Caribbean locales.
We took the four in one -Poas, La Paz - which is actually outside the park, Sarapiqui boat ride and the guide threw in a canopy zip line experience for a little extra. Drove through the Baruillo National Park, which was a disappointment...wanted to see more of it. The tour to Arenal - swiss travel - is nothing more than lolling around in the hot springs, and the pools (one with a bar). The closest we got to Arenal was a mile from the mount. The tour was not what we expected. Swiss travel did a good job in taking us around in comfort, we booked a tour to Manuel Antonio with TAM, the guides were fun, not too informative however, and the tour van was small and cramped. Met many folks from all over the world through the varied tours we took. The rains started on our last day..so we lucked out in having good weather during our week long stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Good Service, Comfy Beds!
  • Disliked — Took a long time to check in after our journey - need more people to assist at the front desk.
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank BoundforCostaRica
NY, NY
Reviewed May 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on the first two nights of our honeymoon and it was great way to settle into Costa Rica. There was plenty to do for the one day that we stayed there (tennis, gym, golf, pool) but it seemed like most of the other people there were on business. The food is great but just as expensive as the states i.e. NYC. thought the service was good. Overall, I would recommend staying there for a night or two but not for any longer since it's not actually in San Jose and it might get boring. I

• Liked — The architecture
  • Disliked — The price of food and drinks
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nyctraveler0
Chicago
Reviewed May 5, 2008

This hotel is beautiful. However, beauty is only skin deep. The quality of the service is horrible. The people are trained like robots. If you request something out of the ordinrary, it is impossible for them to do so. For example, the staff didn't know how to handle my request for something not on their dinner menu. The manager lacked customer service skills and there was definately no service with a smile. I asked the manager to change my reservations but he was unable to accomodate me at the time because he was busy. The next time I asked to speak to him, I wasn't allowed to because he was eating his dinner!!!! I asked the gym attendents to change the radio station that was playing in the gym and they "weren't allowed" to do that.

The bottle of water in the hotel room is 9 dollars. The internet is 15 dollars a day. It cost more to get my underclothes dry-cleaned than to buy brandnew ones.

Why is it that when I stay at Marriott Courtyards and Residence Inns I get better service and treatment than at 5 star hotels? I'm not exactly sure how it works. If you are an American in Costa Rica, you will get ripped off.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank Jotwani
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 30, 2008

For the price we paid, the service we received from the front desk staff was horrible. They did little to nothing to accomodate are needs, and were extremely rude. Simple tasks such as cancelling an existing reservation seemed to overwhelm them.

When I asked if I can speak to the Manager, I recieved the response, "He's eating, come back in 15 minutes". Someone forgot to mention to them that they are working in the "hospitality" industry.

The service everywhere else (e.g., cleaning, coffee shop, fitness center) was exceptional. Ester is the best, I love her.

*** Warning*** The following individuals are extremely incompetent (in ascending order):

1.) David (Manager)
2.) Johnny (Manager)
3.) Juan Carlos

I would only come back to this hotel if the above mentioned individuals were terminated of employment.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank Wolfman782
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 76 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!