“Nice hotel but may not be worth the price”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on the first two nights of our honeymoon and it was great way to settle into Costa Rica. There was plenty to do for the one day that we stayed there (tennis, gym, golf, pool) but it seemed like most of the other people there were on business. The food is great but just as expensive as the states i.e. NYC. thought the service was good. Overall, I would recommend staying there for a night or two but not for any longer since it's not actually in San Jose and it might get boring. I

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nyctraveler0
Write a ReviewReviews (1,854)

Reviewed May 5, 2008

This hotel is beautiful. However, beauty is only skin deep. The quality of the service is horrible. The people are trained like robots. If you request something out of the ordinrary, it is impossible for them to do so. For example, the staff didn't know how to handle my request for something not on their dinner menu. The manager lacked customer service skills and there was definately no service with a smile. I asked the manager to change my reservations but he was unable to accomodate me at the time because he was busy. The next time I asked to speak to him, I wasn't allowed to because he was eating his dinner!!!! I asked the gym attendents to change the radio station that was playing in the gym and they "weren't allowed" to do that.

The bottle of water in the hotel room is 9 dollars. The internet is 15 dollars a day. It cost more to get my underclothes dry-cleaned than to buy brandnew ones.

Why is it that when I stay at Marriott Courtyards and Residence Inns I get better service and treatment than at 5 star hotels? I'm not exactly sure how it works. If you are an American in Costa Rica, you will get ripped off.

2  Thank Jotwani
Reviewed April 30, 2008

For the price we paid, the service we received from the front desk staff was horrible. They did little to nothing to accomodate are needs, and were extremely rude. Simple tasks such as cancelling an existing reservation seemed to overwhelm them.

When I asked if I can speak to the Manager, I recieved the response, "He's eating, come back in 15 minutes". Someone forgot to mention to them that they are working in the "hospitality" industry.

The service everywhere else (e.g., cleaning, coffee shop, fitness center) was exceptional. Ester is the best, I love her.

*** Warning*** The following individuals are extremely incompetent (in ascending order):

1.) David (Manager)
2.) Johnny (Manager)
3.) Juan Carlos

I would only come back to this hotel if the above mentioned individuals were terminated of employment.

3  Thank Wolfman782
Reviewed April 28, 2008

This was my third trip to Costa Rica and previously I stayed at the Courtyard in Escazu. I decided to stay at the Marriott primarily because of the mostly rave reviews of this hotel on Trip Adviser, even though it was more expensive than the Courtyard. I was very disappointed. The room was dated, smelled musty and was not even as nice and clean as the Courtyard. Maybe there are renovated rooms where people stayed who said on this site that their room was spotless and well apppointed, but my room surely wasn't. After two days I got a reservation at the Courtyard for over $100 a nite less and moved. My wife likes the room at the Courtyard much better.-the room is no worse then Marriott and no smell. Also, the internet is free, not $15 a night. A big plus of the Courtyard is it is right next to an upscale shopping center where there is an Outback, Hooters, Argentinian, Cuban, Japanese, Italian and Tabas restaurants, upscale coffee house and a bar.

On the plus side, the grounds of the Marriott are very nice and if you stay there, you can eat inexpensively at the coffee house/cafe next to the gift shop. The health club is also fairly nice. Also, at both the Courtyard and Marriott you have access to CTT, a transportation company with very modern vans and responsible drivers. We hired one for $15 an hour (3 hour minimum) and went wherever we wanted. The driver was great to have while shopping in Downtown San Jose and chose a very nice restaurant Nuestras Tierras, with real Tico food. A good way to explore Costa Rica.

1  Thank BigdawgChicago
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We could not have picked a better hotel while in San Jose!!! Not only was the hotel immaculate, every employee treated us like royalty. Esther in the coffee shop should be teaching hotel employees everywhere how to treat customers. She is an angel, and made the delicious Costa Rican coffee even more wonderful every morning. The nice thing is that the hotel is far enough from the city that you feel that you're still at a resort, but you know that it's only a short drive to the city action. And, the airport is only 5-10 minutes away, yet it was quiet and we rarely heard a plane. The hallways are open-aire which added to the beauty, and tropical feel. We ate at the Tapas restaurant on site the last night, and wish we would have discovered it earlier in our stay. Reasonable, and delicious! Really a lovely hotel. Kudos to management and employees!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2008

I travel over 100 nights a year for business and most of my money goes to the Marriott family, enabling me to be a platinum member. I was not expecting much more than a top range Marriott when checking into the Costa Rica Marriott in San Jose on the back end of our vacation. What a place!!! This far exceeded my every expectation and is the nicest Marriott I have ever stayed in.

I was traveling with my wife and two young daughters. The staff were very friendly, but they didn't even need to be- the property itself is absolutely incredible. In the two days we were there we didn't leave the grounds, and yet didn't even explore the spa, golf, or nature walks available to guests. Food was spectacular, from the Spanish dining room to the delightful espresso bar.

The decor was described as Spanish colonial - I thought it was masterfully done. Great artwork, lighting, layout resulted in wonderful spaces such as nooks with benches and courtyards blooming with flowers and sculpture. Artifacts from Costa Rica and Nicaragua dotted the property.

(If you are a Marriott Elite member with access to the concierge lounge - this one was the nicest I have been to, with great food, a huge expanse with comfortable seating, etc etc)

I STRONGLY recommend that if you are staying a week or more in Costa Rica and plan to explore the country to spend your first night or two right here at the Marriott as well as your last night or two when you need to recover from driving the heavily pitted roads. You can take excursions from here into really interesting areas of both San Jose and the neighboring countryside to get your vacation started, acclimate to the culture and the temperature before hitting the road.

On the other end, nothing better than spending the last night or two knowing you are near the airport (return that rental car early and save $100+ bucks- the Marriott has a free shuttle - can do same on front end) and can relax by the spectacular pools and gardens while enjoying the Costa Rican sunshine.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TommyBoy2004
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Great hotel! A friend and I went down for a wedding that was held at the ballroom at this hotel. The pool is very nice and the open air hallways and spanish-style hacienda architecture really make for a great hotel stay. The service was quite good and the staff is very polite. However, this is ranked as a 5 star resort by international standards and I found two problems that would have NEVER happened in the states or europe. #1, the "mini-bar" guy comes by your room on a daily basis around 10am. I found this very annoying as in San Jose you party very late and do not want to be bothered by someone to check your mini bar for the chips you may have eaten when you came in the night before. Obviously, I am willing to pay for anything I take but this should be counted by the maid when he/she cleans your room. Also, I was looking for a shoe shine as I was attending a wedding and this was not available. Other than that, great hotel and good price!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!