“Loved this hotel so much went back three times.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Loved this hotel so much went back three times.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was working as an international volunteer in Cartago for a couple of months and living hostel style in bunk beds, so weekends off were my chance to see the country and/or relax away from our home base. I decided to stay at this Marriot resort as a treat, and it was so lovely, comfortable, beautiful and restful that I returned two more times including the weekend I was leaving to go home. There are two restuarants on the property, I ate at the tapas restuarant twice and it was wonderful. I thought it was a good idea to get the "club" rate because there was a breakfast included each morning, snacks and non-alcoholic drinks available all day and most of the night, and the evening happy hour would easily suffice as a meal for most.....an economical way to eat here. There is also a lovely coffee shop on site with an attached, and very comprehensive gift shop (a little pricey, but hey.....) The coffee shop also served sandwiches and tico versions of lunch foods as well as amazing deserts and pastries. All in all,
I felt it was worth the expense....use your Marriot rewards membership and/or AAA to get a really good room rate online. Trust me, this will be a lovely respite and great place to stay before a long airplane ride home.

Room Tip: All south facing rooms have lovely views. Pool rooms are nice if you plan on using the pool a lot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ashsail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Mequon, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is one of the nicest Marriotts I have stayed in. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, quick checkin, easy upgrade at a modest charge to large suite with connecting room that was worth it. Really enjoyed the tapas restaurant. We had a larger group (16) and they did a great job bring out a sampling of everything in a seamless way. We had dinner in the main restaurant as well. Food was simple but good. Very competent wine selection. Everything is very clean and organized. pictures on the website are a good representation of the property. I had a massage which was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side were a bit noisy on a Saturday night. Presidential suite is nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We chose the location for its proximity to the airport. It's far enough away to not hear any planes go overhead. It's close enough where taxis can get there for $10 with tip.

The moment you enter the compound, you are checked in by a guard, then a bell men brings in your luggage. You go to the back and check in (was done with ease) and led to room (632) great views.

We went to explore the hotel grounds and were surprised by the nice lit paths, pool areas, hot tub, coffee house, work out gym, gift shop, coffee house and dining hall.

We had the buffet. 28 dollars a person. Very enjoyable. Good service there as well.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is on beautiful and spacious grounds that make it a nice oasis within 15 minutes of the airport. The rooms were very nice and the pool area in particular was extremely welcoming for our family of five. We had a delicious pizza at the restaurant and enjoyed a great breakfast buffet the next morning.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Costa Ricas most super service-nice hotel located in pura vida beauty hills. Love this place, I could write a commercial about it with no worries. Been here a dozen times of the past seven years. Some of the same staff still work here.
The soft, humble and service minded staff welcome you and will serve you like any Asian top hotel. The breakfast buffet and the gorgeous view on the hills across will make any fast talking city girl - tranquilo.
On top of this, the KUÖ spa and tennis courts put a royal feel to the place. Thank lord its not crowded (yet) and fair room prices.
Love love love to this Costa Rican pearl!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here my last night in Costa Rica as it is close to the San Jose airport. Check in was seamless, staff is very welcoming , and the food is quite good ! I had the guacamole and the seafood platter-tasty! The grounds are quite picturesque-the rooms reminded me of a Medieval Spanish castle-dark wood , heavy furniture, wrought iron in the hallways. The bathroom was ok-nothing special. As a Marriott rewards member I was given free wi fi which was a plus. I had a standard room on the third floor-my only complaint was lots of overhead noise-maybe it was my location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Maria S
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is so beautiful and the staff so helpful. After checking in and getting settled into our room, it occurred to me that I had left my cell phone in the shuttle that brought us in from Manuel Antonio. Needless to say, the staff at the concierge assisted me in calling the tour company and even called my cell phone to assist the driver in locating the phone. I was told that the driver had another transfer but would drop off my phone later that day. My husband and I went to have lunch and a member of the staff found me to give me my phone. The entire staff went above and beyond to help me and I am very grateful for their service.

In addition to the amazing service, the spa was wonderful. The facility was very nice and clean and the staff very professional. Next to the spa was a coffee shop with fantastic coffees and snacks (resembles a starbucks, which I love).

Finally, we had a free breakfast with our room and we were sure we would forfeit It since we were being taken to the airport at 4:50am. To our surprise, our free breakfast was available via room service at 4am (and it was delicious!).

Our stay was truly amazing and I only wish we had a longer stay. We will certainly be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank HofitNagar
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
4.5 of 5 stars 2,125 reviews
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!