“Beautiful Hotel, Excellent Staff!”

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is so beautiful and the staff so helpful. After checking in and getting settled into our room, it occurred to me that I had left my cell phone in the shuttle that brought us in from Manuel Antonio. Needless to say, the staff at the concierge assisted me in calling the tour company and even called my cell phone to assist the driver in locating the phone. I was told that the driver had another transfer but would drop off my phone later that day. My husband and I went to have lunch and a member of the staff found me to give me my phone. The entire staff went above and beyond to help me and I am very grateful for their service.

In addition to the amazing service, the spa was wonderful. The facility was very nice and clean and the staff very professional. Next to the spa was a coffee shop with fantastic coffees and snacks (resembles a starbucks, which I love).

Finally, we had a free breakfast with our room and we were sure we would forfeit It since we were being taken to the airport at 4:50am. To our surprise, our free breakfast was available via room service at 4am (and it was delicious!).

Our stay was truly amazing and I only wish we had a longer stay. We will certainly be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank HofitNagar

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Very impressed with this hotel. The facility is top notch and the service was impeccable. Enjoyed food and refreshments in a number of restaurants and lounges. Huge facility for US tourism and conferences. Ideally located near the San Jose International Airport.

Room Tip: Suggest rooms facing east toward City of San Jose. Great views at night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Wayne B
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I want to thank VIP Lounge Services and the Extra Pillow special service this Hotel gave me in my last stay with my wife. VIP Lounge Service were really good and professional. Also the meal service at VIP Lounge was very good. Basically, for thouse who just normally want to eat not so much and have the necessary to not go out, it is definitelly, the best option.

Room Tip: Select King Beds and Extra Pillow Options, they're very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel was a tropical paradise, with lush lawns, native fruit trees, groves of citrus and coffee, two pools overlooking rolling hills. And the staff here are friendly and genuinely interested in your having an excellent stay. The concierge can arrange excursions to rain forests, zip lines, volcanoes--all pick you up and drop you back at your hotel. The hotel is spotlessly clean, completely serene. I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool seem the nicest.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank apumba
Reviewed December 1, 2012

In every area of this hotel, the staff treated you the way you hope to be treated. I stayed here for 4 nights and always felt anything I needed was easily achievable.

Pros:

Friendly staff
Great pool/spa/health club
Close to airport

Cons:

Not sure I can up with many. Not a cheap place to stay but many times you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Don M
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed here for our very last night in Costa Rica b/c it was only a $15 cab ride away from SJO. We walked in without reservations but had no issues booking a room and checking in. We chose the $60.00 upgrade which included free Wi-Fi, Breakfast buffet and few other ammenities. Gotta be honest, the hotel is a little spooky though. Old colonial decor and dark color scheme...I'm telling you this is the perfect place to shoot a horror flick. Walk through the garden at night and look up at the hotel building...you'll know what I'm talking about!

They have a great fitness center with a ton of new equipment and a really clean really blue pool. Gift shop on the main level was amazing.

They also have a few restaurants and a lounge. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant downstairs which serves latin food. Must try: House-made fries and their guacamole! The breakfast buffet is actually one of the best we've had in Costa Rica. Crispy french toast, a delicious take on juevos rancheros, fresh made tortilla, fresh fruit...

Not bad for last night in CR.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed our first night in CR here before jetting off to Volcan Arenal. First let me say that the hotel and grounds are beautiful. Lot's of dark wood and a colonial style feel. Our room was good sized for this type of hotel, and the staff was friendly. We ate dinner at the restaurant, and found the food to be quite good, although expensive - not that we expected a value mean at this type of hotel.

We ended up eating breakfast (croissant, liquado, coffee) in the coffee shop up front overlooking the coffee garden which was nice.

The hotel seemed rather empty for the capacity they can hold, which was fine with us as we weren't looking to share our holiday with tons of other tourists at the hotel.

The pool was stunning, although cold. We still enjoyed ourselves by going back/forth between swimming in the pool and relaxing in the jacuzzi.

Internet and breakfast are not included which with a family of 4 could run an extra ~$85 a day if so chosen (we didn't!). When we checked in, they asked us if we wanted to upgrade for an extra $80 a night to include internet, breakfast, and a pool-side view room. We looked at the room, and it was the same size as our existing room so we passed. Interesting that the 'rack rate' between the 2 rooms was only $20, so I guess they're trying to sell the Internet and breakfast...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jon L
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#5 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
#1 of 7 in Heredia

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!