“Beautiful grounds” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Barbara, California
“Beautiful grounds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed our first night in CR here before jetting off to Volcan Arenal. First let me say that the hotel and grounds are beautiful. Lot's of dark wood and a colonial style feel. Our room was good sized for this type of hotel, and the staff was friendly. We ate dinner at the restaurant, and found the food to be quite good, although expensive - not that we expected a value mean at this type of hotel.

We ended up eating breakfast (croissant, liquado, coffee) in the coffee shop up front overlooking the coffee garden which was nice.

The hotel seemed rather empty for the capacity they can hold, which was fine with us as we weren't looking to share our holiday with tons of other tourists at the hotel.

The pool was stunning, although cold. We still enjoyed ourselves by going back/forth between swimming in the pool and relaxing in the jacuzzi.

Internet and breakfast are not included which with a family of 4 could run an extra ~$85 a day if so chosen (we didn't!). When we checked in, they asked us if we wanted to upgrade for an extra $80 a night to include internet, breakfast, and a pool-side view room. We looked at the room, and it was the same size as our existing room so we passed. Interesting that the 'rack rate' between the 2 rooms was only $20, so I guess they're trying to sell the Internet and breakfast...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I was staying here on the last night on my trip because I have an early AM flights back to the states.
When I arrived I was welcomed by a mean man wearing a tie. He made it like he was doing me a favor to check me into my room. I know no one is obligated to do anything but I asked him for an upgrade because it is my honeymoon he looked at me and said let me see what I can do... All of a sudden he got into bait and switch mode "your room is facing the parking lot for another $60 I'll put you on our executive floor" I replied Nahh I pass he went on and on how I don't have a real balcony I don't have free Internet I don't have assess to the Buffett or breakfast and that I should really consider switching. After i replied NO agian He basicly he gave me my key cards and grinch like grin
After everything I went to my little room which was outdated and extremely small and the price tag was high this just wasn't the way i wanted to end my trip.stay anywhere else in Costa rica and you are welcomed pura vita. This hotel doesn't have the costarican hospitality I was looking for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nathan B
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

From the initial encounter with the front to desk to every other aspect of our stay, our experience at the Costa Rica Marriott, San Jose was a lesson in how to provide guests with a relaxing, rewarding and low pressure stay.
The only thing that I would count as a possible negative was that one meal we had in the main restaurant was not that great, but the friendly, smiling staff made up for any doubts we might have, at every turn.
Breakfast was excellent, the bed was dreamy, the room we stayed in was quiet and very comfortable. Grounds were well-tended, the fitness room was outstanding for a hotel and the spa was top class.
We attended a conference, but the business side of the hotel did not infringe upon the leisure side. The building itself is well planned and not at all boxy, like some hotels, and the interior/exterior feel worked wonderfully.

Room Tip: An upper floor room in the main building would be my preferred location.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank John S
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good place to stay on your last night in CR. A bit expensive though and don't buy anything from the shop... you can buy all that stuff at the airport without paying the extra taxes. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The robes were awesome! The bathroom is a bit small but fine. They have a golf course, which we didn't use, two pools and a hot tub.

Room Tip: We had 443 and it had a beautiful view on the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SetStar
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Was the perfect place to start the vacation as we needed to get aquatinted with the customs and people and learn first hand what a great country CR is. We ended up going to the pennisula and out on a catamaran cruise a crocodile safari up a river and learned how to surf. Oh ya and quaded on the top of the continental divide, what a view.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank traveljunkie22_10
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

As many have said, this is a great hotel for the first night in Costa Rica, but if you have the time the property has enough to keep you busy for a few days. The grounds are gorgeous and the restaurants are above average for hotel fare. The common area has beautiful decor including an open courtyard. The buffet breakfast is a must, and if you plan your trip accordingly, it is offered for free on weekends. It is conveniently located close to the airport and rental car companies. If you are one that must be linked in with the internet they offer it for free in common areas. This was not our first visit to this hotel and will not be our last!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city if you want to see the lights at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank flsurfer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. We came to San Jose at the end of a long business trip and had reserved another hotel down the road. After checking in to that hotel, we immediately checked back out and grabbed taxi to the Marriott. It was like heaven on earth compared to the first hotel. It is quiet, peaceful, and just beautifully decorated. There are dozens of lovely details like painted tiles on the stairs and frescoes on the ceilings. The pool is really lovely as well. I only have one little complaint and that is that it is a little noisy in the mornings. The hallways have a very pretty tile that unfortunately amplifies noise a little so at 8 am we could very clearly hear the cleaning staff going up and down the hall. But it was a small price to pay compared to the hell that was the first hotel that we checked in to... San Jose is not really a very nice city - I would recommend staying here at the Marriott and taking day trips outside the city if you come here for vacation. For a business trip - it is fantastic! It's located close to the airport and away from all of the city noise.

Room Tip: Maybe if you choose a room at the end of the hall it would be a little quieter. I do recommend the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer K
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 30 in Alajuela
4.5 of 5 stars 728 reviews

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!