Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Brasilia, DF
“Nice staff”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My experience in the hotel has positive and negative aspects. I had a problem during check in (the travel company informed the wrong dates) but the staff was very nice and had it all solved in a few minutes. Also, they were pretty helpful in arranging me a minibar (the rooms do not have one) because I needed to keep food in the fridge (because of a food allergy, I brought some special food with me). The staff is smiling all the time. The souvenir store at the lobby is great. The room is spacious, lots of TV channels, excellent big bed. Nevertheless, the shower is terrible. If you like a hot bath, you are only allowed to take one early in the morning - by the end of the day, the only water available is almost cold. There are several buildings in the hotel and getting around might be very confusing. The breakfast is poor and there is no way you can get anything to eat if you are on a diet. I was afraid to eat some things because of my food allergy, once there was no information on ingredients for anything. I did not get the chance of enjoying the pool, nor the casino. There is a spa, but services tend to be a little more expensive than average. Cross the street you will find a small shopping center with several food options. But forget about shopping there (I am a woman and I could not buy anything). I strongly recommend the freshly squeezed juice kiosk. I am not able to say much about the location of the hotel because I was attending a meeting in the mountains and never got to see where actually was located San Jose, and how far from the hotel is the city. Finally, the hotel has free airport shuttle, which is very convenient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending us your feedback. Indeed, becuase of the location, amenities, facilities, service, swimming pools, our hotel is one of the best in the whole. Right now we have three restaurants one Italian, another one Japanese and other one international. However, there will be one more in march 2013 which it will be the first Hard Rock Café in Costa Rica.

We hope to have you with us again in a near future. Once again thank you for choosing the new Wyndham San José Herradura.

All the best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Pros:

1) Near airport

Cons:

1) Extremely noisy (hotel has casino - gamblers rowdy all night in the hallways)
2) Curtains do not block the light
3) Angry bell hops - a guy named Carlo seemed so upset to deliver simple water to my room. Other bell hop Fernando was awesome.
4) Maids came into my room despite 'Do Not Disturb' sign - very bad and disturbing.
5) Maintenance crew with loud walkie talkies always roaming around

Rating: 1 out of 10. You've been warned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sending us your feedback. I have checked every issue out with the managers and we have made decisions in order to aviod those inconvenients in the future.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Best wishes!!

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio De Belen hotels

Sao Jose dos Campos
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at Ramada Herradura due to bussiness. The hotel is very big. The rooms are spacious. The lobby is modern. There is a casino inside it but I did not use it. There is wi-fi all over the hotel with an excelent speed. The swimming pools are beautiful, with palms around them. In my opinion, the food is the highest point. There are 3 restaurants (I think): one with "buffet" service, one italian and one japanese. I ate at the buffet and the food was delicious! Fish, meat, chicken, risoto, vegetables, everything well prepared and with a good presentation. Good desserts too. The breakfast is very complete with fruits, eggs, different types od breads, yogurts, etc. Staff is nice and helpful. This hotel is located near the airport, so, far from the city center of San José. However, across the avenue, there is a mall with some fast foods and a small market that can help us to buy some stuff. There is a shuttle to the airport. The only negative point is that there was no fridge on the room, but the rest was very good. I would recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ccipola
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate very much your feedback. As you could see our hotel is one of the best in town even if you are traveling for business or leisure as well. Perhaps, your will be able to enjoy of our forth restaurant which will be a Hard Rock Café in March 2013.

Warmest regards,

Maximiliano Ruiz V.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here twice and both times it was excellent. We were in Costa Rica vising family and needed a hotel close to the airport for going and coming. The staff were brilliant and helpful and the breakfast was more than substantial. My young son loved the pool. I woud recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank saramcloudtyley
Barbados
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've been here so many times and sometimes some things no longer surprise me.

The Good
On arrival the check-in process was smooth as normal and front desk staff was friendly. Absolutely no problems there. I didn't get the room that was requested, as expected. However they gave us an accessible room, which despite that being the case , it had lots of room. More than I would have gotten in a normal room. Full king size bed, small sofa, 2 chairs and a small table.... and still lots of space left in the room. It also opened out to a shared balcony overlooking what could be considered as a small garden.

The breakfast was as expected very good with a wide selection of choices and friendly staff there too. The hotel is still undergoing renovations and it really does have the potential to be an excellent place once some of the few issues are ironed out.

The Bad
Again, as expected my emails weren't answered. One of which included my flight details so I had to call on arrival and was told they shuttle would be there in about 10 min. This turned out to be 30. I also made a request for a special room, I'm understanding of hotel policies and maybe it may not have been available, however.... reply and let me know something. The 2 problems I had with the room is that in the bathroom there's a small window with the screen halfway off and it couldn't be closed at all. Also if the shower was running from the bottom for any time longer than a minute, water would start to flow into the rest of the room.

The Ugly
What was to be a nice relaxing vacation turned into a cheap motel experience, at least for one night. On Saturday night, it seemed like there was a graduation or something held in one of the meeting rooms of the hotel. I happened to be in the lobby and noticed them back and forth all nicely dressed and I didn't think much of it. Till after midnight. It appears that most of them also were staying the night at the hotel and with my luck it seems they were on the block we were on. All during the night you could hear them running up and down the hall, opening and slamming doors, shouting, singing, banging on walls.... anything that was annoying these kids did it. I say kids but they were in their late teens it looked like. This went on unbelievably till minutes to 5 in the morning!!!!! I heard the radios of hotel staff outside twice I guess talking to them because other guests had complained but this never stopped the constant noise. It was honestly the worst night I have ever spent ant any hotel. I've never stayed at a motel or hostel but this is what I believe it would be like. The next morning I called reception to ask if the kids would still be there the following night and if there was any type of compensation because it was a really horrible and restless night. All I was told (with a smile) is that they were checking out at 12. I found that to be very poor and if there's anything that would make me not visit that hotel again it would be that experience. No one should pay money to travel to a destination, pay for a hotel, expect a relaxing vacation and have to experience that.
Needless to say we got nothing from Ramada to compensate for that horrible experience, not even a letter of apology.

All of my visits there I've noticed they've had many functions as it's one of the most popular locations for events in San Jose if not the number 1. So it's something to consider on your planning.

I admit it's a nice hotel and the rates are great along with the location and that's why I keep coming back, but based on this experience I could have paid a little more per night and be at a higher standard hotel in the same area without the same problems.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room with a garden or pool view. Better to call for that request.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bajan300
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringging this matter to our attention. Definitely, we owe you an apology for the inconvenients in our hotel. We receive many passangers that request the shuttle service every day and we have not been informed of any complains about it. Our operations manager will be aware of this situation in order to make sure that it will not happen again.

It was a pity that you did not call the front desk when you had such problems, our staff would have been very glad to help you with that situation. We will apprecite if you would stay with us in a near future, we will be more than glad to be able to make you welcome. Once again, thank you for the time you took to let us know about your experience in our hotel.

Looking forward to seeing you soon again!!

Best regards,
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This place really impressed me. Looks too nice for us to stay at, a real-five star feel. Free phone calls to North America, free Internet in the room, and great food at the restaurants. I mean really great food. After busy days sightseeing on day trips out of San Jose, it was great to get back to this hotel at night. Great, friendly staff and super good breakfast included.
As other have pointed out, the only downside was the walls are a bit thin and we could hear noise from passers-by and doors shutting. Also, off a busy highway (the Autopista Highway 1) but once you get your bearings it's easier to find. They are doing some remodeling but this was a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for sending us your feedback. We are glad to know that you had such a great stay with us. We hope you will be able to enjoy the new Hard Rock Café that will be operating in a few months.

Best regards,

Maximiliano Ruiz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stopped at the Ramada Plaza Herradura for a night at the beginning and end of our Costa Rican trip over the New Years holidays. Staff was really friendly and helpful.

The outdoor resort amenities were great. Two pools, an outdoor/indoor restaurant and a few other theme restaurants.

As we were quite tired when staying there, we didn't venture to the restaurants but the room service was really good and fairly quick.

Room was pretty good but not impeccably clean. Didn't bother us though.

Overall, for the avid traveller, I would recommend this resort for stopovers but not very a long trip. It's close to the airport but not within distance of any attractions you'd really want to see in Costa Rica. I wouldn't stay here for week+ vacations as it's not a large "all inclusive" type place and I think I'd get a bit bored.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ian M
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your stay with us. Most of the tourists do not know that the Central Valley has as many attractions as other areas of Costa Rica. Belive me, you might stay at our hotel a entire week and you won´t never get bored.

For instance, you will be able to visit four diferent volcanoes, the National Theater which is beautiful, The Gold Museum which is one of the best in Latin America, Coffee Plantation Tours that are very intertaining, whitewater raffting, canopy tours and so on. Besides that, I invite you to visit our three delisious resturants, casino, bar and the first Hard Rock Café in centralamerica in 2013.

Warmest regards,

Maximiliano Ruiz V.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!