DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
Reviewed May 28, 2009

After driving around Costa Rica for 10 days from San Jose to Puerto Viejo, Arenal, tamarindo, Samara and back to San Jose it was like walking into an Oasis to spend our last 3 nights here before leaving CR. We were worn out and when we walked into the lobby, grabbed a warm cookie and we taken to our room it was great. We changed and went to the pool area to see the jacuzzi bubbling with steam coming off the water it was unbelievable. The water felt SO good and relaxing! Then a quick meal at the poolside restaurant and then the fabulous bed and in the morning I woke up feeling like a new man. We spent the day shopping in San Jose, then had a great meal again at the hotel. The next morning we were picked up and taken to River Pacuare by Rios Tropicales, to go white water rafting, what a blast!! Then we were returned to the hotel for our last night.
The room was great, quiet, conmfortable, large room and bathroom, desk, dresser, big tv, closet, minibar, SOFT BED!!!
Staff was great helpful friendly, perfect English.
This year we will end out trip there staying 4 nights and we are taking the executive level king.
There is a great souvenier shop in the small shopping plaza right in front of the hotel and they had the best gifts and prices we saw anywhere in costa rica. Also there is a small grocery store if you need anything. There is also a cigar shop right there, we did not go there but they have great cigars in the hotel, I feel they are very fresh because of a high turnover- they don't sit around drying out. My friends said they were good.
I would definately recommend this as a starting and/or ending spot very near, 5 minutes?, to sjo airprot, shuttle service too.

check out video....

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed April 28, 2009

We enjoyed the ambiance with outside lush courtyard and pool access from our spacious room. The food was delicious with a charming hostess (very helpful with local info). Arriving late on the 26th from the freezing Rockies, I went immediately to the pool expecting to take a swim in the warm weather...it was empty! Be sure and check to see if they have finished the renovations of the pool. It will be lovely when they do. The employees were all very friendly, as we have found most Ticos. It is a 45 min cab drive to the center of San Jose, but the location is convenient if one is using the airport and heading for other areas.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for three weeks. The hotel is clean, however I would not recommend staying at the hotel for this reason. They I called US using the hotel phone provided in the room. Since, this seemed to be a reputable hotel, I used the credit card option for calling the US. However, on receiving my credit card statement, I found that I was terribly overcharged. They charged me 39.01 (for a 1 minute, phone call to the US) and 89$ for a 15 minute phone call to the US. Do not stay at this hotel, as they seem to grab your credit card number and overcharge you at every possible opportunity. Save your money and stay someplace else where they have a better sense of honesty.
They can't get away from this by saying the calls are handled by a third party company. There is a big sign on the hotel phone, saying no connection charges for calls to US and the hotel is probably getting a big commision from the phone company.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank pks1976
Reviewed February 26, 2009

A friend and I stayed there for two nights (first and last night of our trip) and it really was a lovely hotel. The services were great...from the front desk staff to the concierge to the restaurant service. Everyone was friendly, helpful and very pleasant. The food at the poolside restaurant was very good and again, the service staff was very polite and conversational. We had a room with a nice balcony overlooking the pool/bar/restaurant area, which was really nice as well. As soon as we checked in, there was a knock at the door and a hotel staffer brought us a complimentary fresh fruit platter, which was unexpected and very nice.

The only downside was the location: good for airport travelers (it's only 10-15 minutes) but not for getting into San Jose (maybe 20 minutes) but traffic in San Jose can be brutal...like in most Central American cities. There seemed to be many guests there on business and I can see it being very efficient (good business center, wi-fi). There's also a casino on the property, which was really busy on the Saturday night we stayed there. The executive breakfast was also very good and heard that the restaurant brunch was also good.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2009

After spending 8 days at the beach, we wanted a place to stay close to the airport in San Jose, prior to returning home. What a nice little, 2 storey, hacienda style hotel. The pool is located in the centre, surrounded with lush green foliage. We booked an exeutive room and over looked the pool area. All the balconies have table & chairs and pretty window boxes. The room was modern, clean, had a nice little sitting area with sofa, desk & chair, and a good size bathroom.

By booking an executive room you get access to the private lounge. There they offer a deluxe continental breakfast in the morning and cocktails and hors d'oeurves in the evening. During the day there are also snacks and beverages available.

We enjoyed both lunch and dinner at the poolside restaurant. I found the prices very reasonable and the portions to be very large. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was friendly and efficient.

The hotel offers a shuttle service to the airport (10 minutes away) at a cost of $8 per room. You need to reserve this ahead of time. You can also prepay your departure tax at the hotel. A service well worth the additional $2 charge. It saved us the hassle of waiting in line for 45 minutes at the airport.

Overall. a wonderful hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We were arriving in San Jose late at night and were facing a 2 hour drive to Puntareas. So we decided to stay the night near the airport. We stayed at this hotel on both our first and last nights in Costa Rica since traffic is so heavy on the highways, roads are bad, and we didn't want to travel at night upon arrival, and didn't want to risk missing our flight on departure.

It is a very nice hotel, nice architecture, nice rooms, good service, and one of the best included breakfasts I've ever seen in a hotel. Plenty of hot choices, plenty of fruits, cereals, fruit juices, amazing.

I do not understand the negative comments below. We had no complaint about this hotel. My parents also stayed here, a night after we did, and commented that they enjoyed the hotel.

While in Costa Rica we only stayed at the Cariari and the Doubletree in Puntarenas. We drank the tap water and used the ice in both places without getting sick. There is a sign on the mirror in the bathroom of the Cariari that says 100% potable and that seems to be the case.

To get here, we took the "official" cab from the airport. Unlike Mexico, the official cabs are not a rip-off.

When you check out, you can pay for the departure tax at the front desk and save a line at the airport. I think you pay a bit more at the hotel. Note that the first thing you should do when flying out is pay the departure tax. They will not let you check in to your flight before you do that. Then you have to fill in some information on the back of the form you get when you pay the departure tax. Easier to do at the hotel when there are pens available and no crowd. We made the mistake of checking in online before departure. It seems to have absolutely no value in this country unless, perhaps, you have no seating assignment. We could not skip the main check-in line even though we checked in online and paid the departure tax. Even though going through customs was quick on the way into the country, you need plenty of time to deal with the departure tax and airline check-in when you leave the country. Definitely give yourself at least two hours. A good reason to stay near the airport on your last day. The airport is not in San Jose but is in a suburb and ground transportation is very slow here.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 13, 2009

My wife and I were guests of the Doubletree November 11-18, 2008. Normally, I write my reviews quickly so others get the REAL lowdown on the hotel, as we see it, as quickly as possible. I'm sorry this one is late.

This hotel is several years old. It has hosted many dignitaries over the last several decades. So, when the Hilton Group purchased it early last year, they immediately started a major upgrade of the entire hotel. All of the rooms, restaurants, the casino, pool, spa, etc., are just like new.

We were treated like royalty during our entire stay. Don't pay any attention, whatsoever, to the people who have left negative comments about the service or the employees of this hotel. We could not have been treated better - period!

We did not use the travel service located in the hotel to schedule our trips. This was due to our own preference. However, the people that staffed the tour desk were more than happy to provide us with any information we could possibly need regarding our upcoming tours - preplanned with another tour service.

Now, lets talk about the restaurants. The other reviews that state the prices are too high are bunk! The prices are right in line with all the other restaurants where we ate lunch or dinner.

Regarding alcoholic drinks, the prices are also reasonable and in line with other locations. However, you should know that the prices vary between the many bars in the hotel. I don't feel it is my responsibility to go into this since it's up to the guest to do some searching around.

Additionally, just across the street from the hotel, within only several yards, is a drug store, a small grocery store (with all the food you could want to eat in your room - any kind of booze too!) and, it's much cheaper than going to a restaurant, of course!

Let's get back to food a minute. There is also a restaurant in the strip shopping center directly across the street from the hotel. We ate there several times and always enjoyed the food and the great service. They make great Costa Rican dishes - to go!!! However, this was before we actually ate in the hotel restaurant the first time. Had we known the prices were comparable, we probably would have eaten in the hotel every day.

Let me sum this up with a few comments about the Doubletree employees. They were all terrific. Exactly what you would expect from employees of a Hilton family hotel. We used the well appointed business center several times. The center has an attendant to help you with the several computers, printers, scanners, faxes that are available to hotel guests. All the attendants were extremely helpful to us - all the time. In fact, one of them called our travel agent for us and allowed us to use the business center conference room to complete our discussions with the travel agent. Amazing!!!!

We were lucky enough to be provided access to the executive lounge. It was absolutely wonderful! All of the attendants were the best of the best! They were all very attentive, kind, kept the room and tables very clean, and were also informative about Costa Rica. I guess you get the idea - They were great! We received a FULL hot breakfast every day, and the various hot and cold snacks in the evening were simply delicious. There is a very large plasma HDTV in the lounge, normally tuned to CNN.

You know, I asked my wife to come up with any negatives she could about this hotel. Quite simply, there aren't any real negatives. The pool is extremely large, on a par with the luxury resorts in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. At the time we were there, the water in the pool was too chilly for us to swim. Now, how dumb is that? In November, we wanted the huge pool in the hotel to be heated! But............while we were having a drink by the pool, several people actually went for a swim!!!!! No more comments on this because I don't want to sound whiny or stupid.

I highly recommend this hotel as a base hotel to everyone visiting Costa Rica. If you have questions about this hotel or the major sites in Costa Rica we visited and filmed, please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tfly5331
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#5 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#11 of 78 in San Jose

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!