“It was fun to just hang by the pool :-)”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Having visited Costa Rica a number of years ago, this trip to San Jose was mostly to see some of the highlights of the city. We had stayed at the Hampton by the airport previously, so I decided to try the seemingly more resort-like DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari.

I was initially assigned a nice two-room junior suite at a quiet end of the hotel near the fitness room and spa. But since it was on the first floor and faced upon an outside side street, I decided to ask for a change. Although the hotel was apparently close to fully booked, the front desk staff were gracious and accommodating in finding a room on the upper floor which faced into the pool area. It had a nice balcony, but they apologized for not being able to find an available upgraded room. The room was actually totally great!

A quick tour of the hotel turned up an ATM on property, a well-equipped fitness facility, casino, spacious open-air restaurant and an inviting large swimming pool. It was the latter which called me by name to have a swim, and then a nice poolside beverage and lunch filled out most of the afternoon. I found specialty restaurants, bars, a shopping mall, grocery and liquor stores, a food court and several nice boutique shops all within easy walking distance. It was simple to purchase my coffee beans to take home, handmade candies, gifts and souvenirs without having to venture far from the hotel.

Their breakfast buffet was amazing...all you could want and more! But as with all good buffets, I hated (but needed) to stop eating. The hotel shuttle can be reserved to take you directly to the airport for a reasonable fee...unlike being terribly overcharged on the taxi ride from the airport to hotel! And just a suggestion...pay your exit tax at the hotel and for a few dollars more you can avoid the long lines at the airport!

But there was a huge downside to staying at the DoubleTree Cariari. It was fun to just hang by the pool, eat, drink, work out and catch a few rays of sun :-) So I really never left the property except to browse the nearby mall, buy a few groceries and shop for the items to take home! That means I'll just have to book a return trip to actually see the highlights of San Jose...lol :-)

Room Tip: Better to face the pool of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank eelSeattle
Carolina S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thanks for staying here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose-Costa Rica. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We look forward to welcoming you back. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My stay at the DoubleTree was set up by International Expeditions as the first night of an eight-day tour of Costa Rica. The hotel was conveniently near the San José airport where we landed in the morning and left for Tortuguera National Park the following morning. A bus stop right outside the hotel made it convenient to get into San José. We took a taxi to return. There are several restaurants to choose from within easy walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank jeremybX4943FQ
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

* Pros
- Room has a Bible in the drawer
- Very spacious rooms (1.5 times bigger than a regular US hotel room)
- Nice Bathroom
- Bed/pillows is above average
- A really nice lobby
- 10 minutes from the airport (Taxi US$20)

* Cons
- Very overpriced hotel.
- Wireless internet isn't included - $10/day - very expensive
- Poorly caulked room doors. Noise from people in the corridors might be annoying.
- Has no shuttle to the airport
- Room feels a little empty. Very scarce furniture. No couch in such a big room.
- Breakfast is very expensive.
- Far from downtown San Jose (Taxi US$ 23 one way)

NOTE: Plan to arrive to the SJO airport in well in advance. Very disorganized airport, Must pay Customs Fee (US$ 29) BEFORE checking in. No signs indicating it, so you can loose time in the line to check in to find that you have to walk to the other side of the airport to pay the fee. Security is impossibly long, takes lots of time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your honest review of your recent stay. At DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose, we like to provide a personalized experience for each of our guests, but also look for ways to keep costs low while providing comfort and convenience. We appreciate your feedback and we’ll keep it in mind as we work to make our services better. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stay at Hilton Brand hotels all the time and the Double Tree is probably one of my favorites. How can you not like the hot chocolate cookie upon arrival?
I arrived at the hotel very early for a week of business matters at our CR office. I had previously e-mail the manager letting them know of my arrival. Thank you hotel staff and the gentleman at the front desk for allowing me to check in at 6 am. I don't usually fly red eye and I was beat and needed to sleep.
I made it to my room that was on the first floor, room 1010 as a matter of fact. Spacious with a king bed, desk, a large flat screen TV and a fairly decent sized bathroom. My only complaint for me, is that it is a dark room with very little natural light coming in. Because I was here on business and I came back in the evenings, I did not care but had I been here on vacation, I would have made the switch.
The hotel is well kept and clean and the staff is friendly and eager to help. I felt safe walking in and out and there was staff at the front door till late at night and early morning. Overall, I liked the property and I thought it was a nice addition to my trip and I was comfortable.
I would stay here but I believe that you either need a car or a car service to get around to other areas of town. To me, nothing seemed walkable except for the places to eat around the hotel.

Room Tip: Breakfast buffet is pretty big, offering many options. There is a different wifi for the outside are...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We’re happy you had a great stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Come see us again soon – we’ve got a delicious chocolate chip cookie waiting for you! Safe travels… Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The property is a little tricky to reach, but worth the search. Service is top-notch, from arrival through follow-up. The casino is a bit bland, especially compared to others in the city nearby, but the additional specials offered with the rooms are a fantastic touch. Also, one of the better brunch buffets you'll find throughout Central America.

Great bonus: supremely pet-friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to send us the great review. We hope to see you again soon at the
DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose! Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here twice in March, and based on my first check-in, this hotel would have kept a dreadful review. I am an HHonors Gold member, and while I was staying here as a part of a Collette Vacations group, I'd certainly expected a warm welcome if nothing else. Instead, when I tried to give my HHonors number to the front desk agent, he waved it away--telling me that since my reservation was prepaid, I was not entitled to any HHonors benefits. As an elite HHonors member, I have stayed in many Hilton family hotels--and have been especially warmly welcomed at Hiltons all over Latin America. This was the WORSE treatment I have ever received by a Hilton hotel, particularly as an HHonors Gold guest.

My room was large, but spartan. Oddly, for a room with a lot of floor area, there was no place to sit. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was sizable, though with just a shower. The view was garden/air conditioner view.

The center of the low rise hotel houses an outdoor pool and fountain; while the pool has a swim-up bar, few would likely use it as the water was so cold. The bar and breakfast restaurant are open air, and overlook the pool.

The breakfast buffet was varied, but quite crowded.

The hotel itself is in a suburban location about 15 minutes from the airport--little is walkable, though there are a few upscale restaurants and a very nice grocery about a block away, and the Hard Rock Cafe is a few blocks in the other direction.

At the end of the tour, we stayed at the Cariari a second time. Since I'd left a note of complaint with the hotel when we checked out, I was curious if my arrival the second time eight nights later would be different.

Turns out it was. They'd upgraded my accommodations to that of a junior suite, had internet access waiting (non HHonors elite guests pay for internet here), and informed me of the HHonors reception by the pool in the evening (Essentially red/white wine and a few cold and hot hors d'oeuvres), and HHonors breakfast in the morning. (They even overcompensated a bit--as my parents' name is similar to mine, they took no chances, and upgraded them the same way as well. . .)

The Junior Suite was a great format for a business traveler--the only accommodations I have seen with a separate office. Beyond the foyer/office, there is a large room with a sitting area and a king bed. The bathroom was also upgraded beyond the standard bathroom, with better amenities (mouthwash, where there was none in the other room) there and in the room as well (bathrobes, slippers, water). Overall, definitely an improvement.

The reception was pleasant. From 5-7, the drinks flowed (wine, well drinks, soda) and the appetizers took the edge off dinner hunger. The bartender was attentive.

The hotel feels a bit dated, though the owners have put some money into renovation, for sure. The meeting rooms were lackluster, and the fitness center would not be sufficient for an avid lifter.

While I was very frustrated by the first stay, this DoubleTree deserved kudos for recovery on the second trip. And the first front desk agent should be fired or reassigned if he treats any guests--let alone HHonors elite customers--so poorly.

Room Tip: If an upgrade to a junior suite is available, this room type is preferable to the standard room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had a great stay at the DoubleTree in Cariari. I was attending a conference at the Wyndam convention center so it was close by and I could walk. Staff are very friendly. Breakfast is good and they have a nice happy hour with great bartenders. Gym facilities are good and a nice pool. My only complaint was the jacuzzi could have been warmed. Rooms are spacious and clean. They also have a Spa!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for your comments. Whenever you’re in Costa Rica, stop by the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We’ll take good care of you. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#5 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#11 of 78 in San Jose

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!