Having visited Costa Rica a number of years ago, this trip to San Jose was mostly to see some of the highlights of the city. We had stayed at the Hampton by the airport previously, so I decided to try the seemingly more resort-like DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari.
I was initially assigned a nice two-room junior suite at a quiet end of the hotel near the fitness room and spa. But since it was on the first floor and faced upon an outside side street, I decided to ask for a change. Although the hotel was apparently close to fully booked, the front desk staff were gracious and accommodating in finding a room on the upper floor which faced into the pool area. It had a nice balcony, but they apologized for not being able to find an available upgraded room. The room was actually totally great!
A quick tour of the hotel turned up an ATM on property, a well-equipped fitness facility, casino, spacious open-air restaurant and an inviting large swimming pool. It was the latter which called me by name to have a swim, and then a nice poolside beverage and lunch filled out most of the afternoon. I found specialty restaurants, bars, a shopping mall, grocery and liquor stores, a food court and several nice boutique shops all within easy walking distance. It was simple to purchase my coffee beans to take home, handmade candies, gifts and souvenirs without having to venture far from the hotel.
Their breakfast buffet was amazing...all you could want and more! But as with all good buffets, I hated (but needed) to stop eating. The hotel shuttle can be reserved to take you directly to the airport for a reasonable fee...unlike being terribly overcharged on the taxi ride from the airport to hotel! And just a suggestion...pay your exit tax at the hotel and for a few dollars more you can avoid the long lines at the airport!
But there was a huge downside to staying at the DoubleTree Cariari. It was fun to just hang by the pool, eat, drink, work out and catch a few rays of sun :-) So I really never left the property except to browse the nearby mall, buy a few groceries and shop for the items to take home! That means I'll just have to book a return trip to actually see the highlights of San Jose...lol :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm, rustic and luxurious, the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari brings modern day opulence to Costa Rica's capital city. A heavenly urban retreat with spacious guestrooms, a sparkling swimming pool and great service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Cariari By Hilton San Jose Hotel San Antonio De Belen
- Doubletree San Antonio De Belen
- San Jose Hilton
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose Costa Rica/San Antonio De Belen