DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
$83
$80
City Express San Jose Costa Rica(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
$73
$98
$89
La Riviera(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
$73
$71
El Rodeo Estancia Boutique Hotel & Steakhouse(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
$66
$64
Terrazas de Golf Boutique Hotel(San Antonio De Belen)
$87
Apartotel Oro(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
$49
$88
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
  • Spa
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose(San Antonio De Belen)
$224
  • Pool
Apartotel Obelisco(San Antonio De Belen)
TripAdvisor
1,487 results
All reviewsdouble treesan josecosta ricaclose to the airportwarm cookiespool areanice hotela small grocery storeopen airsmall casinoswim up barexecutive roombreakfast buffetnice staytour deskrooms are spacioushotel restaurant
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I share the feelings of another contributor that this hotel is far from 5 star. We were looking forward to a nice comfortable stay in very expensive hotel. First impressions were good. The desk clerk was very nice and very fast. He handed us our "free" cookies and told us how to get to our room. He had told us that we were being given an upgrade which sounded great until we saw the room. It was quite small and the window looked out on a walkway. If you stood next to the window and looked up you could just see a patch of blue sky. Our first impression was the the room smelled musty (same as another comment we have just read). The fact is that it was very damp. I can't understand how that could happen unless it had not been used and air conditioned for a few weeks. The bed was comfortable but damp. The towels in the bathroom were adequate but only just. The bath was slippery with no mat. The water pressure was very low, but it was hot. We had planned to have dinner in the restaurant which was really good 4 years ago. But the restaurant was closed. We had experienced the coffee shop before and did not want a repeat of that so we had to go out of the hotel to find an outside restaurant for dinner. We thought about breakfast in the morning in the same coffee shop but our past experience of the poor food together with the price of $16 sent us to Burger King. This is not one of our usual restaurants but better than the Hilton. By the way we did think of coffee at the hotel but they wanted $5 for it. Can't imagine what they would ask for a cappuccino.

As I said, first impressions were good and we enjoyed the cookies. But next time we'll go back to our favorite hotel, the Barcelo Palacio. Another guest in this column said they looked at the Adventure Inn just down the road and chose the Hilton because it was more modern. then they went on to describe the poor quality of the Hilton. I can tell them that the Adventure in is as good as the Hilton and for a much lower price.

Room Tip: Maybe a suite if you can afford it. the rooms are like dungeons there agin the suite might be the same.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drushton
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am concern about the inconveniences that you recently experienced at our hotel and I am writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right and provide us an insight into areas prone for improvements, therefore, I have addressed your comments to the appropriate managers so they can take the corrective actions to avoid these situation in the future.

I hope that despite of these inconveniences, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

this was our first night in costa rica, as we landed in san jose, before we started with my wife the travel across the country
I did not like the rooms (cold, old, no carpets). we did not like the food. the lounge is not what you expect. overall i do not recommend this hotel.
i do not recommend unless you have no choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to sent us your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right and provide us an insight into areas prone for improvements.
I hope that despite your experience, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in your next visit to Costa Rica. Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any further assistance. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

After a week of roughing it in off season hostels and "local" hotels, it was pure joy finding this property. Well managed and well maintained, it feels more like a beachfront Waikiki resort than an inland hotel. Bamboo, plants, open air, and the warmest welcome we got in Costa Rica abound. Our rooms were upgraded, the gym and pool were fabulous, and at $104/ night, it was a bargain. Watch the mixed drink tab, though, they'll sink you 10$. Wonderful place, wonderful people, wonderful end to a great trip!! 10 minute easy drive to the airport, very affordable spa. Sweet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our property to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose should you return to the San Jose area. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is close to the airport, and not far from Adventure Inn. We checked out Adventure Inn, but chose to stay at Doubletree, because it felt more modern. We were initially shown a good sized room with a king sized bed and large well appointed bathroom. We were told it was being cleaned and would be ready shortly. Then we were told the room had been booked, but there was another just like it that would require us to wait a bit. This was at 2pm. Really the agent was biding time until the 3pm check in time. We played along waiting for the room. At exactly 3:05pm we were taken to a room, not on the second floor, but on the first floor down the corridor to the immediate right of the reception area. Once the door was opened the room "looked" the same, but it that that um...musty smell, with the humidity factor from being close to a chlorinated pool. Our back door opened into the swimming pool and resto-lounge area.
We didn't bother asking for a room switch because we were only staying one night until our flight left the next morning. The hotel only offers free wi-fi in the reception area at one of the 4 computers. Otherwise the wi-fi is $10USD/day. As well our $125/night room rate did not include breakfast. We paid for the delicious buffet breakfast which was $20USD/person.

Most hotels in Costa Rica offer free wi-fi. This should have been given to us for making us wait without telling us why (because we could have gone to a competitor). Also, breakfast is usually included in the rates.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying at this Doubletree unless you sort out the room issue, ask for free wi-fi, and ask for the breakfast to be included for a reasonable price during low-season.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MsJAG416

Thank you for review about your recent stay at the Doubletree Cariari by Hilton. Your opinion about our services and facilities is very important to us, as your comments are valuable and instructive tools in assisting us as we strive for excellence.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that provides to its guests. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you perceived a musty smell in your room. Please accept my sincere apology.

I do believe this was caused by the abundant rain that we got during those days, increasing the humidity in the room, I am addressing your comment to our Housekeeping Manager so she can take the necessary measures to prevent this type of situations in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any further assistance. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Costa Rica. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spacious rooms, great restaurant, amazing pool, mediocre casino and really helpful staff. Hotel is in an excellent location with airport a quick ride away (use their shuttle to save hassle and $).

Overall I would give this hotel an A-.

Room Tip: Rooms are all titled and not carpet, rooms could use some updating.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels... Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.