“Used this hotel many times”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
Coral Springs, Florida
“Used this hotel many times”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Extremely attentive staff, rooms are nice and comfortable. Could have a more varied menu in the restaurant but the staff is always willing to accomodate special requests. I have used this hotel many times for my business trips to Costa Rica and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms around the pool area a very nice
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is probably one of the best places to stay in San Jose, but the vibe at the hotel is very different from the other places we stayed in Costa Rica (including another Hilton in Guanacaste.) As soon as we saw the casino and all the guests in business suits, we knew to adjust our expectations!

I read the TripAdvisor reviews from people who said they stayed here for multiple days as a 'base camp' and took tours to other parts of the country, and loved it. But I would NOT recommend this, as the Doubletree Cariari does not feel like a "real" Costa Rican experience. I can't think of a good reason to stay at this location for more than one night if you have the opportunity to stay near beaches, mountains, rainforests, volcanoes, rivers, etc.

However, this is in no way a criticism of how the Doubletree Cariari is run. They're situated very close to the airport, so I WOULD recommend this hotel to people who, like us, needed to stay in San Jose for one night upon arrival or right before departure from the country. Staying here before our flight was actually a nice transition back into our fast-paced reality. I also think it would be an excellent choice for business travelers.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is impeccably clean, the breakfast is excellent, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The pool and hot tub area is nothing special, but far superior to what I would expect from an "airport hotel" which are usually bare bones in terms of atmosphere.

The only area which needed improvement was the business center, which features one "frozen" computer that couldn't be used and one which was so old and slow that I couldn't print my boarding passes (the browser was too outdated to run the airline's website, and guests aren't authorized to run updates.) I thought this was odd considering the hotel caters to business people. Fortunately, I was able to get the passes on my laptop, save as a PDF, email it to the front desk, and have it printed there at no charge.

This was a great place to stay the night before our flight. Highly recommended for that purpose.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Junkie745685
Alajuela
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The Sauna by the Pool was just the way a sauna should be, the Buffet by the Pool was some of the finest cuisine I can ever recall at any Hotel anywhere, and the Art Gallery leading from the front Lobby to the Pool was a very high Caliber collection of purchasable artwork. The Concierge was very helpful in pointing out the golf course facilities associated with the Hotel but located in a remote area of Santa Ana. They also neatly packaged up some food and clothing left for others to come and pick up after the date of departure which was very accommodating. Even the attendant in the gift shop was so conversational we stayed and talked for the longest time. Thumbs up!!!

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I was back in San Jose for work where I go 2 or 3 times per year and I always stay at the Doubletree...it is a great place to stay. The rooms are very comfortable and staff are wonderful. If you need something, just ask. The breakfast buffett is incredible....if you like to eat. :) There is a great tour counter to help you arrange your tour or you can book online and they will come to the Doubletree to pick you up. Since I had to work, I arranged a whitewater rafting tour for my 14 year old son and he went alone with the tour group...and had a great time.

There is a grocery store just down the block and if you are willing to walk a little further the other direction, about 15 minute walk, there is a mall with a food court, grocery store, and McDonalds which my son walked to a few times.

The hotel has a resort feel to it with a great pool and hottub. There is also a casino if that is your thing. Everytime I go there the staff remember me and address me by my name....and remember how I drink my coffee and that I want water rather than orange juice.

One day I had flower petals on my bed and a towel animal like you get on cruises. I know this doesn't mean much but these extra touches are the reason that I always stay there.

Room Tip: If you are a hilton gold or higher, you will have access to the executive rooms and the lounge
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel consistently over the past three years. I travel on business and so I can stay anywhere I'd like. I've stayed at the Marriott San Jose, The Ramada, and the Marriott Courtyard in Escazu. I choose to stay at the Doubletree Cariari because they treat you like family. The restaurant is great and they have a good selection of beef, fish, and chicken and 24 hour room service and a great breakfast buffet. Even housekeeping is great...they really clean those rooms because I've watched them. I've seen weddings, parties, and company events also take place there with everyone having a great time. It's right across from the mall and with the Fresh Market store, Pizza Place, and bar just a few steps away. I am happy to call the Cariari my home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank kmkvech
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Staff upgraded us to a balcony room due to my hiltonhonor gold status. We arrived about 7pm and the pool closed at 8pm which was disappointing but understandable given the arrangement of the room around the pool. The restaurant near the pool was deserted but our only option. The food was good but not outstanding. It was moderately priced--$60 for 2 adults and one child. Servous was good. Taxi from the airport was about $8. We didn't try to figure out their shuttle service. We took a taxi into San Jose the next day = $20 with tip.

From other reviews I was afraid that the hotel was just a business travel hotel with a couple of local trinkets on the wall. We fully enjoyed the local theming throughout the hotel. Robes and slippers are provided. The second floor balcony over the pool was very enjoyable and we rarely use a balcony.

Room Tip: 2nd floor around the pool was nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lookin4luxury
Indiana
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Doubletree Cariari is ideally situated for both business and pleasure. Near the airport and the growing Free Zones of Coyol and Alejuala, and just 90 minutes from the Pacific, the Cariari is in a perfect spot for someone trying to combine some tourism with business.

The staff are extremely professional and polite. The property is spotless. The beds are comfortable. A first class restaurant, open sided bar, casino, large pool and a large hot tub are all on site. Nearby, there is an AM/PM grocery for any misc. needs, and there is also a very nice golf course adjacent to the hotel grounds. Also, you can pay your departure tax here, saving a lot of time when checking in at the airport.

One word of caution, be careful with the shower....sometimes the temperature fluctuates suddenly. Other than that, this is a very good hotel and the only place I stay when in San Jose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank FritzP
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#6 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!