“An unexpected hotel in a remote location”
Review of Hotel Chalet Tirol

Hotel Chalet Tirol
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Heredia
“An unexpected hotel in a remote location”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I came to costa rica looking to just get away for a few days and clear my mind. Hotel Tirol was the perfect place to do it. I've been to costa rica many times before and each time I've always gone to the beach. This time I chose to stay in the central valley, so I could access some of the areas volcano's...Barva, Poas etc. I found Tirol's location very interesting. Its high up in the mountains above san rafael de heredia. It looks very different from the costa rica I have visited in the past. It's very beautiful up there. Its a little removed from everything so some people might have an issue with that but I found it refreshing to be in a somewhat remote location. My only complaint is that there was construction going on at the hotel..it began at 6am everyday. Needless to say, the noise was not condusive to relaxation but thankfully I had earplugs. I felt they should have told me there was going to be construction or offered me a reduced rate. Other than that, the stay was perfect. I would definitly go back.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank jermy1
mbatalla, Owner at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Hello Jermy

Thank you for staying with us. I guess by now you understand why Costa Rica is considered the Switzerland of Central America.

As you know our hotel is only 45minutes from the Capital city, we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. Recently all our rooms were renovated, and that is the main reason that you were having trouble to sleep, honestly there is no excuse for this, we deeply apoligize for the inconvenience. It is too bad we were not able to find out about this before you left our hotel. We will like to offer you a nice discount on your next stay with us.

Please let us know next time you are here we will gladly offer you a discount rate.

Yours truly,

Maria Batalla
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Well appointed cabins high up in the mountains of Costa Rica. Very helpful and attentive staff. Nice resturant on site.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pageezer
mbatalla, Owner at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Our restaurant is vewry well known for our Gourmet food, we hope to see you again soon.
michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We actually just stayed here last night and had a great time. My boyfriend and I live in San Jose and needed a quick getaway for the night, this hotel was exactly what we were looking for. Know ahead of time that this is not a luxury stay, but more of a European feel (The owner is Costa Rican, but that is the style he was going for), rustic, in the cloud forest and woods. We had a great time, the grounds were well kept with beautiful gardens and paths, crisp cooler air and pines. We felt for having only driven 30 minutes through Heredia up the hill into the higher altitude, it was amazing the difference in climate and plant life. We stayed in a standard suite, nothing super deluxe, but exactly what we needed. Smaller beds although I might add great sheets, no skimping there, but in the cool night (gets down to the 50s/40s) it was good to snuggle! We had a fireplace that was fun, I learned how to build a fire, a couple of cute little chairs in front of the fireplace that we sat and had a couple of glasses of wine. There was a tv, but we didnt even use it. The bathroom looked newer than the rooms, im guessing they had been renovated, nice hot shower although we had to play with it for a minute to figure it out.

We actually printed out the coupon from this website (tripadvisor) for 30% off room rates, and 20% off food. With this savings, I felt the price was right. The room ended up being about $60, and dinner with 2 beers, 2 burgers, a salad and soup was around $40. Had we not had this savings, I think I might have felt it was a little over priced. Food was great though, was nice to have a touch of "pub food" while in Costa Rica.

All in all this was perfect for us and what we needed. You just have to know ahead of time what kind of stay it is!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teresita2933
rjcortes, Propietario at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Hi,

My name is Rodolfo Cortés and my family owns the Hotel. Thank you so much for your kind words. Our main goal is to insure that every single customer gets a totally satisfying experience. We love to hear that you liked our stay with us and hope you come back for more. We'll be thrilled to have you back!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Hotel Chalet el Tirol, in Costa Rica, is simply an spectacular place. Sorrounded by mountains, beatiful views and excellent service, we felt really great there. This is a very peaceful place, a spot to enjoy an amazing conection with Mother Nature. I was really happy with the sweet and warm service of its staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Hi,

My name is Rodolfo Cortés and my family owns the Hotel. I am absolutely thrilled reading your comment. Thank you so much for your kind words. It's nice to know that all our efforts, dedication and love pay off for our clients. Our main and only goal is to insure your total satisfaction and I'm completely happy that you felt that way when you stayed with us. I hope you come back and enjoy another delicious stay with us, we'll be waiting and happy to serve you again!
Panama City
Reviewed November 13, 2009

The Green Dragon Pub has good food and the staff at the hotel are extremely nice but the rooms are dreadful, the beds are falling apart. We stayed at the suite with jacuzzi but the jacuzzi is not a real jacuzzi. Also, the hotel has an odd feeling. I can't tell what it is, but for some reason I felt it uncomfortable that night. I can't explain, is not necessarily a heaviness but there's definitely something that goes bump in the night. If they refurbished the chalets and gave them some more light, air and a new bed with less creaking and a non destoryed matress, and a thorough cleaning, I would definitely stay there again. Still, the rooms are not clean, I had a bad case of asthma and my husband, who has never been allergic, also had to take a pill because of the humidity in the rooms and the very poor cleanliness of the place.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
rjcortes, Owner at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Hi,

My name is Rodolfo Cortés, and my family owns the Hotel. I was reading your review (I know its been a long time since your visit but still I needed to explain this to you). When you visited us in June 2007, we had a general manager that was not the best possible person to carry out the task of helming a prestigious hotel. I'm terribly sorry that your room was unclean, that is stank and that you felt uncomfortable, however I can assure you that if you come back you¡ll find a quite different scene. SInce then, I have become more involved in the management part of the business and we have done almost everything your review asks for. I can assure you that the Chalets have been remodeled almost to the very last square inch, we are now in the process of changing all the beds, removing the oldest furniture and basically rebirthing the Chalets as a new option within our Hotel. In regards to the heaviness you felt in the air, I can only assure you that our family is a devoted christian family and that we always pray for our hotel and our guests, I hope when you come back you'll see it for yourself. Thank you so much for visiting us and once again, I apologize for any inconvenience we caused you. We hope to see you soon.
Cleveland
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This hotel near Heredia is definitely worth a visit. Nestled in the mountains above the Central Valley it offers cozy chalets and great food, it also features many activities including guided hikes into nearby cloud forest, horseback riding, and even yoga. Staff can help arrange a tour of nearby Cafe Britt and other sightseeing. I found its staff to be exceptionally attentive and considerate. Great value.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
rjcortes, Owner at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Hi,

My name is Rodolfo Cortes and my family owns the hotel. Thank you so much for your incredible review, I'm incredibly happy to see such a satisfied customer, we hope you visit us again soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed here at the end of an Elderhostel program. The first impression is that it is very picturesque. But it doesn't stand up to closer inspection (walk around the block and look at the backside of the buildings). When we checked in at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, there were still the remains of breakfasts from previous guests on trays strewn around the foyer of the building we were assigned to. When we met others from our group in the bar before dinner, there was a lot of griping about the cleanliness of the rooms. This had not happened at any other hotel on the trip. Our room was dark. When I pulled the bedside table out to find something I had dropped, I noticed that the wall was covered in dust and really needed vacuuming. Pine needles had piled up outside on the very picturesque but dirty window panes. During the night I acquired several dozen insect bites--fleas? Didn't hear any mosquitos. This certainly didn't happen at any other hotel on the trip around the country. However, The women at the front desk were friendly and efficient and the food and service in the restaurant were good. A taxi into San Jose cost $20. The area around the hotel appeared to be inhabited by suburbanites getting away from the city. We preferred staying in San Jose.

• Stayed February 2009
rjcortes, Owner at Hotel Chalet Tirol, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Hi,

My name is Rodolfo Cortes and my family owns the hotel. I'm writing to you to apologize sincerely for the unclean conditions you found our hotel in. At the time of your visit we were going through a mangement transitional period, and things were a bit hectic, I know that's no excuse but I can now assure you that you will find a quite different hotel if you come back. We have remodeled every building in some sense or another, for example we have painted every single exterior wall of every single building, trying to recapture our Tirolesque alpine spirit. I hope you can visit our new website and see for yourself, just type Hotel Chalet Tirol in any search engine. I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you suffered while staying with us, hope to see you again soon though.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Peace Lodge
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn
Hotel Bougainvillea
Hotel Bougainvillea
#1 of 1 in Santo Domingo de Heredia

Been to Hotel Chalet Tirol? Share your experiences!