“It just doesn't get better than this.”
Review of Peace Lodge

Peace Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Heredia
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We arrived in Costa Rica to a beautiful airport, I mean lush green every where you looked. They had huge picture windows at the airport to show off the beauty. Flying from Newark, NJ Airport (the area surronding the runways of Newark airport are ugly) so of course we noticed the beauty of Costa Rica right away. We thought if the airport area looks this good, the country has to be wonderful. And Boy is it.

We went to get our rent a car, only to find out we over packed with a hug suitcase each (six in all) and we could not fit six big Americans into a single SUV and the huge baggage too.

But no worries because , the Costa Rican people could not be nicer and they love the fact that Americans (or anyone really) comes to their country to spend money on tourism there. They looked around for a big van that could seat 10 people and took some of the seats out of it for us so that all our luggage could fit nicely.

They helped us with directions to our first stop, the Peace Lodge.

Now we did have to stop a few times to make sure were were going the right way but each time the people we spoke to could not be nicer trying to help us find our way. Remember we only speak English and we would be asking people who only spoke Spanish for help. Even though they could not understand us they would get the word " Peace Lodge" and then draw us a map or point us the correct way.

We arrived a Peace Lodge before sunset.

They welcomes us with a free fresh juice cocktail we all enjoyed while they got hotel keys out and free breakfast information out.

Then they asked if we would like to make dinner reservations for tonight. I said I would have to talk it over with my friends. But the man said, "I got to tell you this is , the only resturant in the area."

So we booked right there.

They carried our luggage, (my suitcase alone is 50 pounds) right away down many steps. (Yes this is built in the rain forest on the side of a lush green mountain , where it rains most of the year) Our rooms were so beautiful that the website doesn't do them justice. Our last names were on our doors. They explained to us how to put up a private sign to keep outt the turn down service or not to be disturbed.

We were looking out at a view of the rainforest and mountains and big fog and clouds and humming birds, butterflies, and so much green.

There is no words for the beauty we could see from our private balconies looking out over the rainforest. They give you an unbrella for your stay.

The jacuzzi has a big over hang over it so you do not get rained on. They have two other pools that drop down. There is three different types of pools with 106, 100 and about 75 degrees. One has a waterfall in it.

Ok the rooms. You have a beautiful king size bed with a net. (you do not use it) big screened doors to the balcony that has humming birds coming and going (cause they do have a feeder out there) big chairs outside and a yes, a jacuzzi on your balcony.

The view from the bed and the balcony is unreal. I cannot even write the words.

The bathrooms are huge with a natural looking tub (like it was meant for the Garden of Eden) double sinks. A waterfall and CD music. Also some warm smelling stuff you could plug in, but it was so fresh there I just wanted to smell the rain forest. The shower had it's own waterfall or you could put the regular shower on.

The breakfast was wonderful and the coffee of Costa Rica may be the best in the world. Did you know that Starbucks gets most of their coffee from Costa Rica.

That dinner reservation we made was really a great idea. The dinner was wonderful and relaxing.

They have the wonder grounds of the La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park all around the hotel. You get to go to it for free.

We hired a guide for 35.00 to take us through it all. We are so glad we did. We leaned so much about the butterfiles. snakes, frogs and other animals of the rain forest. The waterfalls are breath taking, It is a three mile climb in the rain forest. Up and down a mountain side. If you go slow and you can walk on a usual day at home, you can make it. If you are a young person of normal health it is no problem at all. You are very high up and there is less oxygen to breath so take it slow if you do not exercise much at home.

Prices. Since once you check in and find out that there is not alot around the hotel your would think that that prices would be high. But NO. We used our mini bars in our rooms and opened the wine and beers we had the dinner there at night too and we all thought the prices were much better than the USA.

There are alot of activites to do from the Peace Lodge but a three day stay is all you need and the Hotel doesn't like people to stay too long. They even have other hotels listed on their website so that you can plan to move on and let other people enjoy the wonder that is the Peace Lodge. I am not going to give out the website. That you will have to get on your own. Like I said there are only 17 rooms at the Lodge.

Hope you can get one!

We hated to leave the Peace Lodge, but we only booked one night and they are always full because they only have 17 rooms to rent out.

I hate to tell people how nice this place is because I want to go back and I know it will be hard to get in next time. But sharing is good.

Stayed: December 2006
5  Thank skipthelightfandango
Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed January 1, 2007

We started our honeymoon out here and i must say that NOTHING else we did or saw was as amazing as the peace lodge. We enjoyed everything the grounds had to offer. I have a hard time planning other vacations because my expectations are so high from the Peace Lodge. I highly reccomend it!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2006

I am completely speechless...My Husband and I got married on December 5th at the Waterfall Gardens. We stayed two nights at the Peace Lodge. It is straight from a fairytale. Our taxi pulled up and we were instantly welcomed by a friendly man by the name of Leonardo. He welcomed us with our own peacelodge bracelets. An escort took us to our room. It was more than we could have hoped for I could have lived in the bathroom!! There were two showers(one with a waterfall option) A jacuzzi with a waterfall pouring behind it. The view from the balcony is stunning and there were hummingbirds fluttering everywhere. I have read past reviews where people have made negative comments about the Peace Lodge. Honestly I don't know what they could complain about. Some said it was to Disney....if that is the case sign me up because this property was so beautiful everyone was so friendly, and the attention to detail was unbelievable. Cindy and Lee have outdone themselves with this rare jem. And I am jealous they get to stay there anytime they want. Some people also commented on the dinner being expensive. It was $28 a person for a four course meal( the shrimp was the best seafood I had throughout my stay in C.R.) The Hummingbird Garden was amazing (the hummingbirds eat out of tiny feeders from your hands) The Frog tour was very interesting and the best photos you will ever get. The Butterfly garden was very cool you could watch the butterflys hatching from there cacoons! My Husband and I are missing the Peace Lodge very much. I would build a house there in a second.(Cindy and Lee if you need a manager let me know :) ) I would recommend staying at this hotel at the end of your trip it will spoil you. And I would stay longer than two days if possible. Pura Vida!!!

If you have any questions feel free to send me an e-mail at JHustad@sbcglobal.net

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JRabbit82
Reviewed December 13, 2006

We splurged and stayed one night in the deluxe room and it was worth every penny. We were greeted with a fruit kabob and cold fruit drink. Front desk staff was very friendly, and check in was easy. We arrived at noon and was pleased to here our room was clean and ready for us. As you arrive at your front door they have you name on the door. The rooms are gorgous. They are done very tastefully and would not call them Disneylandish. The bathrooms are gorgous also, and would say they did resemble the Flintstones though not Disneyland. But we still loved the effect. The bed was very comfortable, and loved the fireplace. We spent the day enjoying all the La Paz Water Fall Gardens had to offer. At the end of the day we stopped by the new pool bar and were given a complementary rum punch and ordered some bocas. Even though we had heard the dinner wasn't good we decided to try it anyways. It was by far our most expensive dinner of our 15 day trip, and by far the worst. We wished we had just had a sandwich or room service. We did order room service for breakfast which was very good. It was really nice having breakfast on our private porch and watching all the amazing hummingbirds. The Peace lodge is a beautiful lodge in a beautiful setting and definantely worth at least a 1 night stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bertini
Reviewed November 26, 2006

It was our second time to the Peace Lodge. Construciton is done. A different place, very romantic. Food in the restaurant is excellant. When you stay there, you get admision to the falls. You can see them before the tour busses arrive. Hummingbirds are everywhere and the new night forg tour was interesting. Poas Volcano is only 25 minutes away. We reccomend it to everyone and it is only 45 minutes from the airport but a world away. You won't be disapointed.

Stayed: October 2006
6  Thank cadknow
Reviewed November 14, 2006

After a long day of travel from Maryland to CR, we arrive in our rental car at The Peace Lodge. Although it was almost nightfall, we could see how beautiful the grounds were. At check -in, we were presented with our Peace Lodge wooden bracelets, our "guide" showed us a map of the grounds and led us to our room. Beside the door was our name in wooden letters - and each room is identified by a species of butterfly.
Once inside, we were delighted. Our large, deluxe room had a beautiful stone, gas burning fireplace facing the beautiful king size canopy platform bed. The balcony had an outdoor stone jacuzzi, a hammock and an amazing view. The bathroom had yet another stone jacuzzi, a waterfall, 2 showers, a large vanity with 2 sinks and beautiful native foliage.
The proprietors left us a bottle of wine with a note congratulating us on our honeymoon.
The service was as amazing as the room itself...The Peace Lodge is one of the most relaxing places I have ever had the pleasure staying and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank clouisep
Reviewed November 6, 2006

We were so ready for a little pampering, and Peace Lodge delivers. The check-in is impressive, it gives you that feeling of anticipation to see your room, because you know it is going to be an experience! The grounds and trails are amazing and I found it to be very peaceful....like we weren't sure anyone else was there.
The dinner was a bit pricey, but wonderful and the breakfast buffet was good. However I would venture out for lunch rather than eat there the next time. I definitely have it on my list for places to go back to someday. Overall, there may be a little "fakeness" in the midst of a paradise, but it was just what we needed.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank teamvickers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
15 mi away
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Puerta del Sol Hotel
Puerta del Sol Hotel
#4 of 7 in Heredia

Been to Peace Lodge? Share your experiences!