“OMG! I was speechless!!!!”
Review of Peace Lodge

Peace Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Heredia
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My husband I decided that we would have our wedding ceremony somewhere other than a beach....if that were the case I would have stayed in Los Angeles for the ceremony and gone to costa rica for the honeymoon. We had the ceremony at one of the beautiful waterfalls and were amazed at the beauty that this place has to offer.. Los angeles offers the crazy party life and peace lodge offers serenity. We stood there for 2 nights out of the 9 we stood in costa rica. Everyone was soooooooo friendly and went out of their way to make sure the ceremony and our stay was memorable.

Ive recommended to all my friends that a destination wedding is the way to go...as the memory and pictures will be amazing with such a breathtaking background. for a fraction of the price of an american wedding.

This place is a definite must to see in cr!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank msselena05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed March 18, 2008

We had deluxe rooms and they are so cool! The bathroom was like having a little bit of our own rainforest, with the 7 foot waterfall and plants. The waterfall shower feels great but I must admit the waterfall is quite loud. The prices for the mini bar and room service is decent. The restaurant on property is small and reservations are required to dine there in the evening.

The frog viewing is awesome and the snake exhibit is really great! If you ask, they will remove the boa from the cage and you are able to wrap it around your neck, etc.....totally safe.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We just returned from our first visit to Costa Rica, which started with a three night stay at the Peace Lodge.

The grounds were beautiful and couldn't be in a more peaceful setting. The view from our room was awesome. I never would have guessed that I could be so content at a location with no beach. The staff was extremely helpful and nice. And the breakfast...they may have the best pancakes I've ever eaten! The waterfall hike was one of the highlights of our whole trip. The main jacuzzi and pool was great to soak in after a long day of hiking and walking...and again, the views from the pool (part of which is very warm) and jacuzzi are just breathtaking. The jacuzzis on the balconies are pretty cool too.

The canopy tour and horseback riding at Pozo Azul (which we booked through Peace Lodge) were fun. But, later during our vacation, we heard that the best canopy tours are in the Arenal and Monteverde areas. On our way to Tamarindo, we stopped at the Taos volcano, which was worth the visit. We got there around 8:45 or 9:00 a.m. and got to view the volcano just before the clouds rolled in. Then we were off to Tamarindo.

About the food...I already mentioned that you should not miss breakfast! We didn't care for the food at the Trout Bar, but perhaps it was what we ordered. The drinks were good and the staff was friendly and attentive. We found dinner at Peace Lodge (I think the restaurant is called Tortilla's) to be good and fairly priced. For $35 per person you could get a 4 course meal...way too much food for me to eat. If you want something different, check out the French restaurant down the road called Colberts. The food wasn't outstanding, but it was good and the French guy who owns it was fun to talk to.

The things I would caution people about who are planning a trip to Peace Lodge: We loved it because we like to exercise and be in the outdoors, but if you don't like to hike or climb stairs, you might want to reconsider staying at Peace Lodge. Since it is on the side of a mountain there are stairs in just about every direction. The other thing is that Peace Lodge is great for couples and I think would be great for families with younger kids who like animals and outdoors, but not so much for teenagers. Our 17 year old daughter liked a few things about it, but after the first day she wanted to hang out in the room and watch movies, and was ready to move on to our next destination. Thankfully, Peace Lodge has a large selection of movies to borrow. Also, the sun comes up at about 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. and with that comes the bird activity. I thought it was very cool to wake up to the birds chirping, but I can see how some might find it annoying. Just a matter of opinion.

Oh, and don't forget warm clothing! Layers worked best during the day. Rain gear isn't a bad idea either.

Would we return to Peace Lodge? Absolutely...eventually. There are just so many areas of Costa Rica to explore, it might be a few years before we return to that area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AngelaJ068
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We stayed at the Peace Lodge for our honeymoon and it was wonderful! No need to repeat all the things everyone else has already said, but I will say one thing about other guests...

We were horrified by the way some of the guests were treating the staff. All the staff at the Peace Lodge were excellent, and we could not figure out why some guests were treating them so horribly. Just because you are American, retired, and rich does not give a person the right to treat hotel staff like dirt. Costa Rica is NOT the U.S.! Perhaps the pace is a little slower than some might be used to, but I'm sure waiting an extra few minutes for a martini won't kill anyone! Also, there are lots of stairs at the Peace Lodge...if a person complains about this, they should have researched the hotel more before making a booking! We loved the hotel and definitely enjoyed our stay, but were somewhat embarrassed by other American travelers and their patronizing attitudes. If you want to be treated like you're in the U.S., just stay there and stop giving those of us who enjoy experiencing other cultures a bad name!

Thanks to everyone at the Peace Lodge for making our honeymoon stay amazing!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank evenstar422
Reviewed March 8, 2008

This hotel was fantastic! The room was simply gorgeous! The jacuzzi on the balcony was wonderful, we loved the decor. The service was fantastic, they refused to let us carry any of our own luggage and told us the hotel manager would be insulted if he knew we carried it ourselves. The grounds, waterfalls, butterfly observatory etc. provide lots of fun activities and the falls are just gorgeous. The breakfast was wonderful and included, which are both typical of any costa rican hotel. Our only concerns were the fact that you are pretty much stuck eating at the beatiful but expensive restaurant on site, so allow an extra 100$/day for that, and there was construction while we were there and a problem with our fire-place, but the management was very apologetic and actually discounted our bill because of these inconveniences. All in all, this hotel rocks if you want to splurge.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank costaricanvoyageur
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We spent three weeks in Costa Rica in Feb 2008. Our trip started with 20 family members and friends and our wedding at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort in Montezuma and winded down the second week in Arenal. We said our good -byes and ventured on to our honeymoon! I was so looking forward to Peace Lodge and our Honeymoon because of all the wonderful reviews and comments I read....what a total disappointment!!!

Yes the rooms are beautiful. Yes they are over the top impressive upon entering the room but unfortunately for us, it stopped there.

The beautiful and over the top waterfall shower in the room filled with water, seeped under the door and flooded the bathroom in less then 5 minutes! Our luggage was soaked, shoes soaked and half of our clothes. We called the reception desk and told them the drain was clogged and they assured us that someone would take care of it while we were at dinner. I also asked if the jacuzzi would be filled by the time we were done with dinner, to which I was told "yes." It would have been smarter to buy new clothes then to wash them all at the resort ($$$).... so we dried them ourselves in front of the fireplace, in front of the electric heater and out on the laundry room vent.

Ahhh dinner. You are pretty much trapped into eating at their restaurants as there is no where else to go. You have to make a reservation for dinner, which must be their way of justifying the high price for dinner. My husband ordered calamari as his appetizer (BIG MISTAKE)! The calamari was not fresh and tasted off... way off. Unfortunately for me I got suckered into the.... "here taste this...it tastes funny" routine. Well anyone who has had bad seafood knows.... that taste is with you for the rest of the night. Although they took the calamari away (we still paid for it!!!) we had a hard time enjoying dinner.

By now I am freezing. I packed clothes for beach weather - not the rain forest apparently so we went to the gift store to buy a sweatshirt. A $61.99 normal run-of-the-mill black sweatshirt with zipper and hood, but whatever.... it IS Vacation and it does say costa rica on it! :)

The jacuzzi was empty when we returned from dinner so we filled up the jacuzzi on the balcony. It was a bit hard to get comfortable with two people... but we were on our honeymoon so we managed :)

The next day we explored the gardens and checked out the animals. It only took about an hour so we did the waterfall trails. After the hike we decided to get a massage up at the reception area. I got a very deep and intense massage - it was wonderful! The masseuse told me to grab a pina colada and head for the jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was still empty so I called the front desk and I was told it would be filled in "one hour." I decided to get in the warm pool - OMG!! What a shock to the system! That pool was freezing and the cold pool was just a cold. After three hours we asked a staff member that was walking by about the jacuzzi and he said he would have it filled soon.

We ventured down to the Trout Bar for lunch and joked around with the wonderful staff members. They were in tears (from laughter) as I joked about the different ways I asked for the jacuzzi to be filled in Spanish and then questioned why their jacuzzi had water. The punch line was that their jacuzzi at the Trout Bar had water, but the heater was broken! LOL!

My husbands cheeseburger came and much to everyones amusement (punch drunk and giddy I guess) his second bite yields a long white melted plastic straw that was in the cheese. The cook and staff felt horrible.... but at this point all we could do was laugh and order another drink !!!! They quickly replaced the burger and apologized over and over. We laughed it off and told them not to worry about it.

The trout pond was our next destination. My husband wanted to try his hand at catching our dinner. Much to our dismay the trout pond was totally green without an ounce of clarity. Apparently something was wrong with the water system and they were still trying to figure out how they were going to clean it. Even the large windows that allows you a view into the pond (down below) were totally green and fish were barely visible. DH fished anyway and we joked around with Edward (who was just fabulous) about his green swimming pool pond! DH caught a trout and let it go.

We called the front desk about the jacuzzi since this was one of the reasons we picked the room to stay in. Still promises of water to come.

We call it a night.

We awoke at 2:30AM having trouble breathing and rush to the balcony - our room has filled with gas from the fireplace. We have a gas fireplace so my husband was checking it out and it seemed okay. The doors were open and even though the fumes were escaping... there was still gas coming into the room. We called the front desk and did not get an answer. We let it ring for about 20 minutes. We figured the gas was from the upstairs room and called the front desk again. At this point we have headaches and I am nauseas. Finally we got an answer at 3:00 AM. We were asked if the pilot light was on (it was) and then we were told that if the pilot light was on that everything was fine and we could go back to bed!!!! OMG! We spent the night out on the cold, very cold balcony. I slept in the hammock and DH slept at the table sitting in a chair. The last thing we wanted to do was die of carbon monoxide poisoning on our honeymoon.

At 6 AM sharp I went to the reception desk and asked for them to send someone to look at the fireplace in our room and the upstairs room. At this point there was some BS about sulfur from the volcano. I explained that the smell was in our room and coming from the fireplace. He did not seem concerned in the least bit.

The jacuzzi still has no water. I am beginning to hate the jacuzzi and the lack of sleep is making me ornery. We ate the breakfast that was SUPPOSE to be complimentary but was really about 20 bucks a person.

I am annoyed now that the brochure says 24 hour access to the park, but the gates are locked at dark and you really only have access to the road.

I am annoyed that we have to pay 6.00 if we choose to wear the slippers in the room.

I am annoyed that we have to pay $10 dollars to see the frogs at night.

So we go shopping!! LOL!!! We blew through $400 dollars in about an hour buying all kinds of things in the gift shop. Beautiful handmade photo albums for our wedding pictures, handmade frames, jewelery, tee shirts, sauces, Britt stuff, shot glasses, key chains, pottery.... the works!

We walked the property again, but by now it is getting rather boring since we have seen everything over and over. We venture to the snakes and Saralita let DH hold the Boa - a highlight for him.. then I feed the humming birds... a highlight for me.

We decided to eat a late lunch again and forgo dinner so we returned to our favorite spot - the Trout Bar. Walter is just fabulous!!! He found out that the jacuzzi was broken and was not going to be fixed for another two days.... so we wouldn't be able to use it. We laughed and joked that the hotel tried to snuff us out to keep us quite about the jacuzzi. We ate and then went back to the room and watched movies.

We slept uncomfortably with the fire off and the doors open. Brrrr.

The next day we checked out earlier then we needed to. The manager refused to speak with us. We were told he was too busy (maybe on the phone with the jacuzzi mechanic or fireplace technician?!?) My husband demanded to speak to him, and again we were told he was just too busy. We asked where the owners were and we told they were in Florida. We were offered a 20% discount by the reception guy, still no manager, we took it and left Peace Lodge. A beautiful place with a whole lot of issues.

If you are going to Peace Lodge to experience Costa Rica you are being misled. This would be the Epcot version of Costa Rica. The park staff and the Trout bar staff totally exceeded my expectations as a consumer.... the rest of the place.... left the taste of bad calamari in our mouthes.

I wished I had never left Ylang Ylang! My honeymoon was spoiled.... but Costa Rica is still my favorite place in the world and this latest vacation was still the best time I had in my entire life (thanks to Ylang Ylang!)

I would not recommend this place to anyone. Way too many stairs for older people. Stairs, Stairs and more stairs. Definitely not a place for a honeymoon and totally not a nature preserve. Families with kids will not enjoy this place either. People with children were leaving early because there was nothing for them to do. If you like birds, I guess it is a good place to view some in a aviary up close and personal...... but for 300 bucks a night..... you know where I would be.... Ylang Ylang, on the beach...... paradise!

Pura Vida!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank NcMysteryShopper
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We had stayed at the Peace Lodge last year and loved it. So, why not stay again as it fit into our plans. The place is amazing, the rooms and grounds are gorgeous with a lot of attention to detail, love the waterfall shower.

But, I was disappointed when I checked in and was asked to sign the acknowledgement of the reservation that in big letters "No breakfast included" was on the form. I showed them my reservation which said it was, they would not budge, said the owners changed the policy (I was not notified). This put a damper on my attitude and stay. I probably will not return again, to pay these kind of prices and not have a $20 breakfast included is ridiculous. Also, shame on them for not honoring the reservation which said it was.

But, besides that, I have to say we do enjoy feeding the humingbirds, walking the trails and all the aviaries. It's worth a one night stay just to enjoy the property and the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank owlwoman1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
15 mi away
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
22 mi away
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve

Been to Peace Lodge? Share your experiences!