WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Puerta del Sol Hotel

Puerta del Sol Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Heredia
Morlupo, Italy
“Frendly, clean and very good breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my staying in Puerta del Sol. I was there for 8 nights and I have to thank all the staff for their kindness.They were very friendly but also very prepared and helpful.
The rooms are very clean and there is lot of space. To comment some reviews I read I had no problems at all with the hot water, and I did not hear any other guest...the hotel was full because of a conference I attended too. The breakfast was very good, fresh and well cooked.
I really suggest this location to all those people who love empathy and typical hotels. For people who prefer fancy places it is not good, but not because the place is not...it is a matter of preferences. Also the price is good compared to the current prices in San José.
Federica

Room Tip: Rooms near the swimming pool are full of light and space
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
SJO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I booked this hotel because there were good reviews. Oh, was that a mistake. No hot water for 4 days, we could hear every word spoken by other guests in ajoining rooms, and breakfast was badly cooked and often 40 minutes after the 7am breakfast time. The breakfast coffee was some of the worst I have ever tried to drink in Costa Rica, and one morning they served a sandwich with fake ham, plastic processed cheese and salad instead of something worth eating - clearly they have never considered being vegetarian. Some staff were very kind and attentive, others were grumpy and rude. I wish I had stayed at the City Express across the road - you will be paying a few bucks more but it will be sooooo worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank A G

Travelers are raving about these Heredia hotels

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel is nothing special - rooms are okay (although ours was very dark with one small window into the hall, many others had nice windows). There was only hot water at night - morning showers, even at 7 am, were stone cold. Breakfasts were good and the staff very pleasant and helpful, but the owner and her daughter (?) seemed to have no interest in helping us and even complained about us in Spanish while we were in earshot when we asked if we could switch to a room with a window (I guess they assumed we couldn't understand?). The airport shuttle is overpriced (and again seemed to be an inconvenience to the owners). I am all for independent hotels and as a general rule avoid chains, but this time I wish I'd stayed somewhere else - for a comparable price there were many other options in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank botanybabe1
Cusco, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel while attending a conference down the road. The hotel was full and the hotel hot water system could not accomadate that many people. There was no hot water in the morning for 5 straight days. The rooms are also very noisy and since you are next to the main highway you can hear cars and trucks pass all night. The family also has a small dog that barks during the day but is put away at night. A group of conference attendees was robbed at gunpoint at the supermarket down the street. Breakfast was good and the staff was helpful in organizing taxis, etc. Unless you need a cheap place close to the airport I would highly recommend not staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank travelbug757
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Puerto Del Sol was a good fit for our needs. We came in to the main airport at night and were picked up and transported to the hotel by the by the owner. The price was $15 which was probably similiar to or less than a taxi. We left the next morning to take a flight on Nature Air which flys out of the Tobias Bolanos airport which is about a 15 minute drive. The breakfast was typical Costa Rican and very good. The room was clean with air conditioning if needed, and had nice pillows that were welcome. The hotel is located behind the Country Inn and a couple of blocks down from the Double Tree. I checked the prices at these hotels and they were much more expensive. We repeated the process on the way home and it worked out great for us.

I recommend the Puerto Del Sol as a nice place to stay when you need one night between airports.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jerry C
Somerset, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

As another review post mentions, this place definitely seemed better days and the price would fit if it was half. I booked this hotel on Hotwire as a mystery airport hotel for one night before leaving to go to our real destination. However, after realizing that I would have to pay for a shuttle service ($13 one way, but we were charged $15 because our flight was delayed) , I kind of regretted it because I could've just booked at a traditional airport hotel such as a Holiday Express that offers free shuttle service every 20 min for a similar price. However, the service was pretty good at least as well as the breakfast in the morning (Juice, sweet biscuits, eggs, mixed fruits, coffee). Host was very accommodating and very friendly!

The room itself was clean but outdated. Floors were evidently swept and sheets were crisp. It has a motel-esque feel to it because everything is old, but at least it's clean! However, I wasn't too excited to find little black ants all along the shower and the sink. Other than that, everything was functional. It has all the basic necessities you would need. I would recommend this hotel for a one night crash if your flight is getting in late.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EternityMoment7
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very Good location! (between the two airports) for me it was perfect because i arrived at the international airport and i left sanjose from the other airport.

They also provide a Transfer to airport for a fair price.
The BB is cheap and clean. the people are realy kind.

I was surprised about the good breakfest!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Colours Oasis Resort
Colours Oasis Resort
#28 of 84 in San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,172 reviews

Been to Puerta del Sol Hotel? Share your experiences!