“Would have been very interesting were it to have been in English”
Review of Britt Coffee Tour

and up
Britt Coffee Tour and Chocolate Tasting from San Jose
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Heredia
More attraction details
Owner description: Britt Coffee Tour has educated and entertained nearly 1 million friends and coffee lovers from around the world since 1991. We use humor and insight to show you the secrets behind an exquisite cup of coffee. Our experts lead the way on an enjoyable journey through the world of coffee. Discover coffee´s colorful history and the process that transforms the red coffee cherry into the delicious morning brew.Located in Heredia, 25 minutes away from Internacional Airport. Daily tours at 9am, 11am, 1:15pm and 3:15pm. Advanced reservation required. Our roastery campus and facilities include:•Lush green areas and colorful gardens. •Restrooms and pathways suitable to people of all ages and physical abilities. •On-site restaurant. •Plenty of secure parking. •Factory store with coffee, chocolates, cookies & more.•Door-to-door international coffee delivery service via courier.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The subject matter was very interesting---how a coffee bean gets from the plant to your cup. There were several types of coffee to sample, and they were all excellent. The gardens were beautiful. The bathrooms were clean and pleasant.
Now the bad parts--the tour did not start on time. busloads trickled participants in and we had to wait till there were enough people to start.
The presenters were actors and conducted most of the proceedings in Spanish--I understood only about a third of what they were saying. I would have enjoyed this tour much more had I been fluent in Spanish.
After the tour, I asked the woman presenter/actress what many of the episodes were actually about. She was not fluent in English and even when she tried to explain to me (which she did), I understood only every third word.
There were no fruiting coffee plants on this 'plantation'. Participants in another tour were given red berries with coffee seeds inside, but I did not see an actual berry, which was disappointing, as I realized I was on the wrong tour.
Here is a tip--take the all day tour which includes a coffee plantation, the Poaz volcano and the Waterfall Gardens--that was one amazing day (I was supposed to do the Poaz volcano and then the Waterfall Gardens, but the tour guide somehow got mixed up. I was picked up for the Poaz volcano half day trip and then transferred to the Waterfall tour at Poaz--I joined a bus that had done the coffee plantation first (I assume it was with the guide who was with the bus, who was excellent and spoke entirely in English) and realized that was the tour I should have taken. I did the Britt coffee plantation the next day and considered that trip a waste of a perfectly good day I could have done something better.

BrittCoffeeTour, Coordinator, Fiorella Miranda at Britt Coffee Tour, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear visitor,

Thank you very much for your feedback, your comments are very important to us, so we can keep improving. Our tours are bilingual (English and Spanish) and yes our guides are actors and are coffee experts. We are sorry you feel you missed out information, since the information we give is equal in both languages. Regarding our guide, we will work with her accent, so she keeps improving her English, again thanks for your valuable comments.

Our plantation is small, since we are roasters, so we buy our coffee from around 2000 independent growers from around the country, so we can focus on our specialty, being the best Costa Rican gourmet coffee roasters.
Our tour is very different, we want our visitors to have fun, relax and enjoy during their vacations, while learning about our history, culture and of course our specialty, Gourmet Coffee!

We do hope to have you back, so we can keep shearing our secrets.

Britt CoffeeTour Team

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Learned a lot about coffee and had an enjoyable experience with staff that were great. They showed us through the coffee fields and than presented a play about the history of coffee.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I dont like coffee, and I went in thinking this was going to be a boring tour, and the tour itself was ok, at the start of the tour you can sample 3 types of their coffee, and a lot more at the end. You could also sample their chocolate which was good. I dont know how much it was as it was included in my trip but if you are in San jose i would say its worth the 30min bus ride. The prices for their coffee are discounted from the actual stores here

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have done coffee tours before in Costa Rica. This place has the best coffee, and a really good lunch. This place buys and rost coffee. They are not an operating plantation. Go to Monteverde Tour for a real tour. This tour also lasted way too long because they did it in English and Spanish. It made it hard to follow and got really old. I would buy lunch and coffee and skip the tour. Go on a real tour and skip buying the coffee. All the best beans go to Britt. Buy the premium "Heritage" it is worth it.

1  Thank roadstarAustin_TX
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The tour is fun, a little childish and it feels like it is all an act. Nevertheless they teach you something about coffeemaking. We booked it through our hotel, and the leaflet said it would be from 10 untill 4 in the afternoon. We were back by 1:30, for $54 per person this is way too overpriced. The store is overpriced too. A bottle of water was $3!!!