“Bad case of food poisoning”
Review of Oporto

Oporto
Ranked #135 of 211 Restaurants in Heredia
Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The only upscale resturaunt in Heredia..although they are understaffed
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The place looks fancy from the outside, despite the uninspiring location next to a nearly constant traffic jam, so we decided to check it out. On the inside, the furniture is cheap and plasticy, and the atmosphere is dull. The service was bad - no one came to ask if we needed more drinks etc, and they came and moved our table to squeeze in more guests right next to us. The price was high, the food was nothing special even for those who did not eat food which was a health hazard, as it was in my case. I ate the tuna, as recommended by the waiter, and after a few bites I got a weird metallic taste in my mouth and had trouble swallowing. Shortly after, the facial flushing, the rash and the diarrhea set in, and I was out for more than a week, I´ve never been so ill in my life. I was diagnosed with histamine poisoning, a typical result of eating improperly handled tuna. There are no other possible explanations to this than the food at Oporto in Heredia. Obviously, I will never go back there, except perhaps to burn the place down to the ground in order to save lives, and I wouldn´t have even if they had not tried to kill me, as the place was a huge disappointment even before the food had its effect.

5  Thank Zorblat

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a good restaurant located in San Francisco, Heredia on the south street of Walmart. Their food goes from very good to excellent. Warm, nice ambiance and service. Prices are a little steep for the regular local but it's worth it.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Nice small place with very good dishes, (not fancy) but very well elaborated, prices are reasonable, good deserts

Reviewed December 3, 2011

We had a nice meal here. The restaurant was not very busy, but the food was good.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Heredia so the former reviews were surprising to me. I have eaten here with friends every couple of months for the last 2-3 years and have never experienced anything like these reviewers. I am sorry because I find their menu to be creative and of excellent quality. At noon many times there are`so many customers that their cars do not fit in the parking lot and have to park on both sides of the street. This restaurant is not downtown, but hidden outside San Francisco de Heredia on the road behind Walmart that goes to La Aurora. The atmosphere is lovely, especially in the evening when small lights decorate the plantings outside. I particularly enjoy the Aztec soup and the Oporto salads. Last week my friends and I enjoyed turkey breast with maple syrup flavored sweet potatoes and salad (a special for Thanksgiving) and chicken and asparagus crepes that were delicious. Their desserts are also top-notch.