“An added value attraction!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Toucan Rescue Ranch
Saint Andrews, Canada
“An added value attraction!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Toucan and Sloth rescue ranch. We had a great stay. Owners are informative and very helpful. They offered to help arrange taxi's/transport if needed as well. The new accommodations included a bunk bed, a queen bed and another bed. Enough for the whole family. There was a fridge and microwave if you want to bring some food. Nice patio overlooking the yard. Fun to sit out and watch the monkey play and the listen to the toucan calls. We were lucky that they just had a new baby sloth brought in that she was caring for. While we could not hold the larger sloths as they may bite, we were able to hold the baby for a bit. We ordered food in for delivery rather than going out. A tour including why each animal/bird was brought to the rescue center was included. While being more expensive than most hotels in the area, it was worth it, especially considering most of the money goes towards new animal cages, food, and care.

Room Tip: The new private cottage was excellent. Sleeps 5. Kitchenette.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zaljl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had read about the rescue ranch on the sight of my hotel for San Jose and had to come so I returned 1 night early from Manuel Antonio just to go visit this place. It was simply amazying. Me and my 8 year old grandson arrived and took the very imformative tour with Leslie (founder) She has many stories and pictures to show you of some of the animals before and you can see them now. They truely do amazing work here.

Some animals will be set free while others will stay as they just can't manage on their own. We saw many toucans, macaws, really amazing owls...sloths, porcupine., spider monkey.... etc...

One of the sloth's Millie... Leslie even wrote a book about. It's written in English & Spanish. I had to purchase it. They have great souvenirs. I also purchased a calendar that features pictures of the actual animals from the ranch. Oh and a stuffed animal...sloth for myself.

Truely a great place. The do have a guest house you can stay at also.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lesab33
Ireland
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We visited the Toucan Rescue Ranch during a recent month-long trip to CR and loved it! Leslie is a very good host and seems very passionate about what she does! We did not stay here but just came up for a tour. We got to see many different animals. In addition to rescuing toucans, Leslie rescues other animals as well. The tour took about 2.5 hours and you are asked for a contribution which goes entirely to helping the animals...totally worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sumo68
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ready for something completely different? After soaking in hot tubs, backpacking jungles, a cruise, or perhaps too many fruity cocktails...try staying in the little guest house of a local family caring for the animals that local government institutions cannot rehabilitate.

If you, or your children, would like to listen to private lectures given by someone who lives and works with tropical animals every day -- then this is may be the only place to go.

It is just delightful. I felt like I was staying with family (my Aunt Rhea, to be exact) drinking tea and exchanging stories. Only here I was surrounded by animals: a porcupine, sloths, macaws, owls, toucans...and participating in a lifeswork that merits imitation. Extraordinary.

Room Tip: There is only one room - embrace the fact that there is a cacophony of natural sounds here :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cherish_Travel
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our family had a great few hours at the ranch, learning about a wide variety of birds and beasts. Leslie and Jorge are sweet, caring people who have made many sacrifices to rescue and rehabilitate everything from toucans to sloths.

I never expected the sloths to steal my heart, but they did. They are so laid back and innocent, seeming to embody the "tranquilo" vibe of Central America.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Can't beat the ambience of the little casita in the corner next to the coffee farm.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Arthur G
Burbank, California
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Toucan Rescue Ranch was our last stop on a 10 days trip through Costa Rica. I booked the guest house for me, my husband, and my mother-in-law based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!

My mother-in-law came to CR primarily to see wildlife so reading about the rescue ranch it sounded perfect for us. I will start with the cons because there are so few. We rented a car and since this stop was at the end of our trip and our previous accommodation had very poor internet access we were unable to get good directions. We did pretty well for ourselves getting right to the area but we eventually passed it and couldn't find any locals who knew of the place. Luckily my mother-in-law's phone had reception (she had ATT. We could never use out phones in CR with Verizon) so we called them and got directions, it was fine after that.

The other con is the bit of noise at night. I was fine with my earplugs and they provide earplugs in the guest house but you have to know going in that this is a ranch with many animals like noisy toucans and many neighbors have roosters that crow at 4am. Otherwise it is quite relaxing and quiet. No street noise or other city noise.

The grounds are lovely and it is so neat to be able to walk around and peer into each cages at the various birds like owls, toucans, and macaws, the monkey, the porcupine, the several sloths. You can get right up next to the sloths and watch them climb around. We were so excited to help Leslie prepare the food for the sloths one night and watch her feed the baby sloths milk one morning.

Leslie and Jorge are extremely kind hosts with a wonderful story! The breakfast each morning was very delicious and filling!

For the price and the experience this was an amazing find. I highly recommend anyone interested in seeing animals up close to stay here. It's true all of the animals are in cages, they are not wild. Leslie tries to release them back into the wild whenever possible. Nevertheless, this was probably the highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: There are only two guest houses. The one that is a stand alone building is a little better, there ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JayCa
BOULDER
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the ranch one night before our departure from Costa Rica and had a great experience. Leslie and Jorge are delightful people and their story about the founding of the ranch and how they care for the birds and animals is truly inspirational. We couldn't stop smiling at the baby sloths, the monkey, Ralph the duck acting like a human part of our tour group, to the toucans, owls, and all the other creatures. The rental house is roomy and comfortably fit our family of five.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EdC_in_CO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Hotel Bougainvillea
#1 of 1 in Santo Domingo de Heredia
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn
Hotel de Montana y Restaurante Suria
Hotel de Montana y Restaurante S...
#4 of 4 in San Gerardo de Dota

Been to Toucan Rescue Ranch? Share your experiences!