“Unique and fun ending to a wonderful trip in Costa Rica”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Toucan Rescue Ranch
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I found the rescue ranch online before my trip to CR with my aunt and my uncle, and we decided to stay here the night before leaving in lieu of having to stay somewhere boring and sketchy in San Jose. What a gem of a place! I particularly loved the tour and hearing about all the birds' and animals' stories about how they have come to find refuge at the ranch. The property is gorgeous (hard to find, so make sure to get directions from Leslie before arriving- she is excellent at getting you there).

The room was nice and bright with comfortable beds and a little dining/sitting area next to a sink and refrigerator. The hot water for the shower is an on-demand heater so you have to play with it a little. One of our party could only get cold water, but I had no trouble with it the next morning (operator error?). I slept great, but make sure to bring ear plugs as the birds can make a lot of noise in the morning! Leslie and Jorge grow their own coffee and bananas on the edge of the property and so the banana pancakes and coffee in the morning were extra special! Leslie also made sure we had clear directions to the airport and they were perfect.

Being around all the animals is a great experience for any kind of traveler old or young. You can tell that Leslie and Jorge love what they do and genuinely care for the well being of these creatures. Meeting the resident sloths was so interesting since you won't see them up this close in any national park on your trip. Leslie and Jorge were helpful and very friendly and this last stop on our vacation was a great way to end the trip. I definitely recommend including the ranch on your trip to Costa Rica!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 30, 2011

There's little to add to the other glowing reviews for Toucan Rescue Ranch. My husband and I spent our last two nights in Costa Rica at the guesthouse here and we loved every minute of it. Leslie and Jorge were so friendly and helped us order food, get cabs, etc. There were so welcoming and allowed us to pretty much hang out on their main house porch our whole time while I asked question after question about the animals. What they do here is truly remarkable. They have rescued countless birds, and recently began taking on other animals like sloths, a monkey, a porcupine, etc. They work here is on-going, and is never done. There's always an animal who needs to be fed, or taken out, or put in, etc. It's amazing what they have done to help so many animals and nurse them back to health. I was honored to get to watch Leslie feed a baby macaw, and help prepare food for the sloths. Just hearing some of the stories of the shape the animals were in when there were brought here seriously made me cry, and knowing the work they put in to help these animals left me in awe. It's a full time job and takes a special person to be able to handle it.
As far as the accommodations, sure, it's not the 4 Seasons, but it's more than comfortable (not to mention it doesn't break the bank). We had plenty of hot water, and slept well each night. There's definitely noise with all of the animals, but personally I think that's half the fun. If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs, you'll be fine. The breakfasts that were included were delicious. I wanted to eat the banana pancakes for lunch and dinner as well. So good.
All in all, if you're an animal lover, I would definitely suggest you stay here for a night or two on your way in, or out of Costa Rica. Leslie and Jorge are doing amazing things to help some of the most interesting and beautiful animals in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heartravel21
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at the Toucan Rescue Ranch for 3 nights in June. When we arrived we knew we were at an extraordinary place. Leslie and Jorge were so genuine. You could see from their actions that they loved the animals they were caring for very much. While we were there, a newborn sloth came in and Leslie took it in like it was her own baby which included nightly feedings for awhile.

What an opportunity to see the Costa Rica wildlife in such an amazing hands on experience. Our 11 year old son was absolutely thrilled and enjoyed the interaction he had with all the animals and his "chores". For animal lovers this was a dream come true and wished we lived there to help volunteer with everything that needs to be done. Which is a lot.

We had an amazing breakfast every morning and spent lots of time feeding Milly the Two Toed Sloth her breakfast. Leslie was kind enough to order our take out food each evening, helping with the Spanish.
The guest house was clean, spacious and nicely decorated with photos Leslie has taken of animals. It was also very private and a ways from the main house. The landscape was also quite beautiful with amazing views during the day and night.

The location was so convenient to San Jose and after 2 weeks of scorching sun and humidity in other parts of Costa Rica we really enjoyed the cooler climate. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful long trip. Our son stated the Toucan Rescue Ranch was one of his top memories of our Costa Rica trip. We agreed. Thank you Leslie and Jorge for a wonderful experience with you in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

How fortunate that we found the Toucan Rescue Ranch- it was a visit we will never forget. We traveled to Costa Rica with two kids (7, 11) and wanted to experience the unique wildlife there. The first part of our trip was in the Osa Peninsula jungle, where we saw wildlife but more at a distance. The second part was at Toucan Rescue, where we got to see the wildlife close up! Leslie and Jorge invite you to their home and their lives with their animal ambassadors. They are the real deal: rescuers and rehabilitators-not collectors. The animals are beautiful and well cared for, and Jorge and Leslie have dedicated their lives to their welfare.
In terms of logistics, we arrived without a car, which means you are dependent on walking to local stores for food. It worked out for some things, but Jorge and Leslie generously took us on a few excursions to see local sites. The accommodations were clean and just the right size for our family of 4 (no issue with the hot water). I would encourage any animal lovers to check out the Toucan Ranch- it's truly a unique experience for all. You come in as strangers and leave as friends!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We recently spent 4 nights as we cared for dental work in San Jose... little apprehensive at first because so many "eco" businesses seem to be not as advertised and expensive. But we reasoned, "At the least, the expense will go toward a good cause." However, our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. Leslie and Jorge are gracious and thoughtful hosts and a relaxing setting with the geese, ducks and chickens roaming the expansive grounds and a tastefully decorated sutie. But the grand thing was what they are there doing, working with all kinds of rescued widlife indigenous to Costa Rica... what a joy and uplift to the spirit to witness these critters up close and personal... an encouraging, rewarding experience!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My husband and I are from Florida in the U.S. But now live in rural Costa Rica, up by the lake. We recently stayed at the Toucan Rescue Ranch, after finding their website in March 2011 when trying to determine the significance of different calls of toucans. I was so enamored of their work that I HAD to stay there on our next trip into San Jose and, trust me, we were so happy we did. A few words first about the accommodations although certainly that was the secondary reason for our stay there. Their guest house is adorable! The ceiling is constructed of bamboo, painstakingly laid one by one. It must've taken an inordinate amount of work and is very attractive. There is a matching bamboo screen divider that separates the bedroom area from the living/kitchen area. The pictures on the wall were all photographs taken by Leslie and are beautiful, the furnishings (including a leather loveseat) are very comfortable as are the beds (a very comfortable sleep). The “sitting area” outside the guesthouse is beautiful and peaceful. I, for one, had no interest in cooking so I wasn't at all upset about having no stove, although a microwave would've been ideal. There is a toaster oven, full sized refrigerator (scrupulously clean), and an array of tea choices to please even the most finicky tea drinker, coffee, sugar and milk for morning coffee. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. A note here to address what others thought was noise. In Costa Rica, EVERYONE here has chickens. In your visits to Costa Rica, you will just have to train yourself to tune out their noises. Just a fact of life.

The grounds at the Toucan Rescue Ranch are wonderful and give you the feeling of isolation. To me, the mix of city (which it is to us, coming from the countryside 3 hours away from San Jose) and rural is ideal because you can always go out of the grounds and get that pizza you crave! Now, the main reason for our stay at Toucan Rescue Ranch. What a wonderful opportunity to see the wildlife from Costa Rica (primarily birds) get a second chance in life after a history of abuse by God-knows-what. In the tour, Leslie introduces the many birds that have been brought to her for caring and relates the background of each. Leslie has a true love of birds and has, of late, been extending that love to a few other types of critters, namely, 3 sloths, a porcupine,kinkacho and Izzi, a squirrel monkey with whom I am in love. You will never have an opportunity to see such birds and animals up close and personal under the care of such professional and caring people. A special note: Leslie doesn't just “snap up” these animals....Because of her knowledge and extensive background in rehabilitation of birds and animals, she has been given permission by the government of Costa Rica to care for the animals and, in fact, has been brought several animals by the government's own environmental department. I'm being very truthful when I say that, if you want a golden opportunity to see the spectacular birds of Costa Rica with the security of knowing they are getting the best possible care, you must visit the Toucan Rescue Ranch.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimMichele
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We LOVE Toucan Rescue Ranch. My 7 yr old son and I visited for 2 days with Leslie and Jorge in April. They are kind, warm and loving people with a very precious resource - their Rescue Center - that they pour their heart and soul into. We visited many wonderful small and luxury properties on our trip to Costa Rica for 10 days - but this casual bed and breakfast was my son's and my favorite. It is not luxury - but clean, cozy and lovely - it is a property full of heart with great city and mountain views and warm host and hostess. The breakfasts are wonderful. My son is animal crazy (and loves birds). Jorge and Leslie very sweetly let him help with feeding the animals (sloths!), collecting the eggs, watering the chicks and baby ducks and generally let him be very free observing the animals and playing while I read a book, drew and enjoyed the fresh mountain air. Leslie drove us to a wonderful cafe for lunch (everything was shut it was Easter) and generously shared her stories with us. We learned more about Costa Rica here than anywhere else - through the animals and their stories. Yes, the geese honk, the rooster crows and the crisp air is filled with birdsong - we loved that. It is not a place for everyone but it was our favorite. If you go please be sure to say hi to Ralph - the gorgeous dandy of a duck. Also, we did not have a car and wanted to just be free and enjoy the animals - but it might be best for some to be mobile during the day if you have a car.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kanstatt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
15 mi away
#1 of 1 in Santo Domingo de Heredia
Puerta del Sol Hotel
Puerta del Sol Hotel
#4 of 7 in Heredia

Been to Toucan Rescue Ranch? Share your experiences!