“A piece of Heaven in my mouth!”

Restaurante Colbert
Ranked #12 of 203 Restaurants in Heredia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My grandmother is french and I really miss her cuisine. I have been living in Costa Rica for over 1o years now and sometimes I miss the real french cuisine. Sure, there are some restaurants near San Jose, but boy they are pricey!! So one day I found this amazing and delicious place called Restaurante Colbert. The food is just exquisite (and the desserts are to die for!!!) and the chef is very very kind. So next time you are around La Paz waterfall or the Poas volcano, you HAVE to go to this restaurant. I assure you that you'll have one of the best meals in your live!

1  Thank Caritatica
joelsuire, General Manager at Restaurante Colbert, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

joel

There are newer reviews for Restaurante Colbert

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was our second fine dining experience at Colbert's French Restaurant. Truly a jewel and if you are at Poas Volcano for a visit, definitely, seek out this restaurant. The service is extraordinary as is the menu and the food. Bird feeders filled with hummingbirds entertain while you dine. They have a great wine selection as well.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful surprise while visiting the Poas Volcano on a chilly Sunday afternoon. We expected to have lunch at another "typical" Costa Rican food joint in the area. But what a great surprise! Bakery is excellent. You must buy bread! I had a very good steak au poivre vert, excellent sauce and vegetables, it was not medium rare as I ordered but I did not complain. My husband ordered a delicious rabbit in Dijon sauce. He enjoyed dessert. Very simple atmosphere, nice music. Don't expect any French country style decor, but enjoyed the fireplace as it was chilly.

joelsuire, General Manager at Restaurante Colbert, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

thank you very much!!! y hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place was closed on our last trip down, so it was a high priority for us on this trip down. I will say that I was a little doubtful about all the great reviews, but I will say that our first meal was so good that we went back the next day. Joel , the owner and chef of the restaurant, meets with all the customers and certainly makes sure that you get the attention that you expect from an upscale restaurant. The food is amazing, not just for Costa RIca, but I would love to have this little French Restaurant in my home town.The views on a clear day are also very nice. If you happen to be in the Poas / La Paz area, this is a must.

joelsuire, General Manager at Restaurante Colbert, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

thanks you very much!
y like your comments... where do you live??? hahaha
Joel

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were staying at the Poas Volcano Lodge, and needed someplace to eat dinner as we did not want what the Lodge was offering. We had passed this restaurant earlier in the day, and decided to give it a try though our first thought was "French food in Costa Rica? Really?" Yes, really. and it is is really good food. Colbert is the point of equilibrium between French wisdom and Costa-Rican natural richness. The menuJoël Suire is not only French, he is bequeathed with an ample moustache and wears a toque. All the bread and dishes are made in-house. Incredible paté and sauces simply make your mouth water. The quality and care that goes into preparing the food definitely translate into authentic, delicious taste. T
The menu offers a unique blend of choices, ranging from chicken to pheasant and rabbit with a lot of traditional French items ike onion soup and house-made pate (which I liked, and I don't even LIKE pate!) and a little of everything in between. Joël Suire (the owner chef) is not only French, he is bequeathed with an ample moustache and wears a toque. All the bread and dishes are made in-house. Incredible paté and sauces simply make your mouth water. The quality and care that goes into preparing the food definitely translate into authentic, delicious taste. There is a good wine list that is strong on vintages from South America and France. The first night we ate there, I had Chicken Crepes (delicious!) and companions had rabbit with the mustard sauce (a little too heavy on the mustard for the companion's taste though good non-the-less ... he ate every bite!) and shrimp cups which were shrimp in pastry cups - much lighter than they sounded and very good. Food is cooked to order (a fact we appreciated) so it is not fast food. . .we enjoyed a glass of wine with the wonderful warm bread (could have made a dinner of it) and the ambiance of the restaurant as the resident cat and dogs entertained us with their antics while we waited. The price is very reasonable given the quality and quantity of the dinner. The next night we decided to return as there were menu items we wanted to try! We were once again greeted by the chef-owner, and were treated to a truly delicious meal. We ended the evening sitting in the Adirondack chairs by the wood stove (it was chilly), eating dessert and sipping wine. So relaxing! No one trying to hurry you out the door, even though we were the last people there. If you are in the LaPaz Waterfall area, you absolutely HAVE to go to this treasure of a restaurant.

2  Thank Mrs-K-albany
joelsuire, Owner at Restaurante Colbert, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

a great thank's you very much!
see you again!