“French Cooking - Not!!!!”

Restaurante Colbert
Ranked #12 of 205 Restaurants in Heredia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My spouse and I started by ordering a bottle of their mid priced Chardonnay to start our meal. None were available except the highest priced- which was still drinkable but was 5 years old! We next ordered the french onion soup to start. The soup was served in a desert bowl and lacked any flavor or finesse of a true french onion soup. We next had a main course of pheasant with orange sauce and quail in apple cider. The orange sauce tasted like vinegar with a hint of orange flavor. The pheasant was so tough it was difficult to cut.The quail was so small that it was streching it to be called a main course. The only connection to apple cider were the two half cooked slices of apple served with the brown thick gravy which would have been more appropriate with pot roast. We called the waiter and informed him of our displeasure who in turn sent out the "chef." He basically shrugged his shoulders and offered no aplogies. My wife and I are from NYC and know good food. This place is a disgrace to the reputation of French food everywhere. I don't know if the chef had been changed since the other reviews -but "cook" is stretching his culinary expertise! Diners beware!!

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I came here with my husband and daughter on Christmas Day, and yh variety is great, prices are excellent in relation with quality and taste! Met chef Joel and he really likes to show you how he "runs" the place, without stealing thunder from main point: delicious food

Reviewed September 14, 2011

What a goldmine of a place to find in the middle of nowhere, Costa Rica. Guess that's not fair as Poas Volcano is close. Views from this place are great and the food is a welcome oasis after endless Tico offerings. The bread is fresh and authentic French, as is everything else in the place. There are hummingbird feeders outside every window and the place is constantly a-buzz with world-class bird watching ops. The food and wine are divine---Make this place a MUST DO in Costa Rica!!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

For anyone visiting in that section of Costa Rica, it is a must stop. I enjoyed the local dishes of Costa Rica but this was an unexpected find. Just incredible French cuisine. You will not be disappointed. We were there for lunch on a Monday. We were the only ones in the restaurant. I don't know how they stay in business. It seems to be off the beaten path but I guess they do good dinner or weekend business.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I lived in Costa Rica and all I can say is: this is maybe one of the best restaurants in the area of Heredia–if not the country.

Great place to enjoy with your friends or your family. You can find many options on the menu and please: taste the delicious home-made bread. Desserts are just AMAZING! Prices are just good on what you’re receiving.

This French restaurant is on the way of the Poas Volcano. Beautiful Colibri birds are everywhere! So, don’t forget to stop by for lunch or coffee time and say hello to Joel- the chef & owner.

We will be back soon for sure!

2  Thank SEOCharlie