“Hiking Paths in Disrepair Beware”

Tirimbina Biological Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$112.00*
and up
San Jose Tropical Rainforest Adventure including Chocolate Tasting
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited the Tirimbina Saraqiqui Reserva Biologica on a Saturday morning with a private guide. After putting on mud boots we began the tour which was lovely. The bridge was fun but once we got into the hike we found the upkeep of the paths to be in disrepair. This Reserve needs someone to walk all the paths and repair them immediately before someone gets seriously hurt. Our guide gave us a heads up when pieces of wood were missing on the path. Also where pieces of wood were crumbling causing us to walk over them. At one point he slipped and told me to take his hand but to no avail. I slipped and fell hard bruising my knee and entire lower leg. At another point we had to step down about a foot where the path was missing and then again step up again to continue on. The metal grating used in some parts were torn up. When we exited the reserve the guide said we had to fill out forms notifying the staff where I fell and what needed to be done in several other areas.

1  Thank srk60
There are newer reviews for Tirimbina Biological Reserve

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We explored this wonderful rainforest during the day as well as the night on an OAT tour. During the day we arrived early in the morning to walk the trails and do the suspension bridges, one which is the longest in Costa Rica. Along the way we saw a huge cutter ant colony, howler monkeys, and many beautiful birds. Being afraid of height I thought the bridges might be a challenge, but they were not at all scary. Loved our day hike and we also returned at night for a bat hike. This was very informative and helped me to see all the many reasons bats are helpful to the environment. This place is a Costa Rican gem and should not be missed.

1  Thank Rockport4
Reviewed February 3, 2014

After looking in vain for another bio park in the area, I told my wife to pull into Tirimbina. At that time, I knew nothing of this place other than what the roadside banner proclaimed. We were greeted by the parking security guard who told us where the reception was. On the nice stroll there, as we passed by the lodge cabins, I saw a sloth in a tree. I knew then we found what we were looking for. The helpful man behind the counter showed us the maps of the trails. We set out and spent two and a half hours hiking about three of many trails. The self guided tour pamphlet was delightful. You can hire a guide as well but we declined since we were on a photo hunt. The modest fee for hiking the trails was only $15us. Impressive suspension bridges brought you thru the canopy and over the river. We did not go on the chocolate trail since you must hire a guide to go on that trail. The restaurant was closed when we returned, bug the man behind the counter suggested a "soda" up the road that was great Tico food. Overall, a friendly place that has amazing biodiversity. Leaf cutter ants to anteaters to howler monkeys. Well maintained and well marked trails too!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The rainforest is beautiful and has lovely and easily-walkable trails. The suspension bridge is the longest in all of Central America. The naturalists at Tirimbina are passionate and knowledgeable. I didn't mind paying for science; otherwise, I would say that the chocolate tour is too expensive at $21. However, it goes to support the fine work they are doing there. We saw a toucanet and several other native birds there as well.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is probably the easiest tropical forest you can visit and get a good sense of what a tropical forest is, not having to walk 10 hours or more.
great facilities, nice guides