“Affordable and convenient”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Harry's, El Escondite
Phoenix, Arizona
“Affordable and convenient”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Very affordable. Easy walk to the beach or town. Bikes and surfboards provided as a courtesy. Harry was a great host and was Always there if we needed him.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Augustine, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Harry's Cabinas were great and Harry himself was so helpful and did everything to make our stay the best. We stayed in the Orange and green cabinas, and had no problem moving from one to the other. They are set up in a kind of a square, with the pool and lush vegetation in the middle....perfect for privacy, but you can also see what's going on. We had everything we needed and it was nice to have a kitchen and fridge. The Cabinas themselves are nicely tiled and the AC worked great, most of the time (took a couple minutes to turn on). The water pressure is a little low, but hey, you're in Costa Rica! It was hot and that's all that matters to me. My only complaint was the bed in one of the rooms. We noticed that it drooped in the middle, but didn't think about it until the day we actually moved into the other cabina. On closer insepection, it turns out that the center beam was broken under the matress and that was why we didn't have the best sleep. Harry said that he was doing renovations on the place, which he was, and I know that it was fixed before the next guest got there.

My husband loved the use of the surfboards and we used them everday. My favorite part of the trip was just lounging on the hammocks talking to Harry and chilling by the pool. He took us to Nougi's the first night (great food and drinks) and told us about some other great spots, (Gil's for Mexican and about the country's exit fee, which we took care of at the local bank before we got to the airport....definitely do this to save time!) If you've never stayed in Tamarindo before, and don't mind being a five minute walk to the beach, definitely stay here. The place is at the end of a cul-de-sac and it is much quiter than the main strip and parts that have the noisy hostels. I felt very safe, and we just fell in LOVE with the lazy cat and Don't the dog. This place is really a hidden jewel and we would definitely return and recommend it to any of our friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Harijuana, Owner at Harry's, El Escondite, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
I do apologize for the bed. One of the slats that supported the mattress shifted a bit but was easily fixed. I would have fixed it sooner if I had known.

The A/C had it's capacitor replaced on the next maintenance check and now starts up immediately.

Costa Rica does suffer from bad water pressure at times. That's why I had a back up water system installed for the cabinas but unfortunately the bladder in the pressure tank needed to be recharged so it wasn't backing up as well as it normally would have. Once again my apologies for the inconveniences.

I hope this doesn't deter anyone considerig a vacation at the cabinas.

H :-)
Yukon
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Harry's is a perfect escape...close enough to Tamarindo to partake in dining, tours, nightlife. It's a short walk to just about anything in town. Plus just far enough out of the centre of town to be quiet, peaceful and secure. The cabinas are cozy, well maintained, and comfortable. The pool is fantastic; deep and refreshing. Harry is a great host and he knows the town inside and out. He has provided everything you need for a great holiday, including a sweet dog and a bossy cat! The place quickly feels like home! We'll definately be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Harry’s was great!! My wife and I had a terrific vacation due to Harry’s hospitality and local know-how. Harry took the time to walk us through Tamarindo on our first day to show us around. Any advice Harry gives about local cuisine, surf spots or tours is golden. The cabina we stayed in (green) was super clean and the a/c made everything comfortable. We loved the pool and used the bikes and surfboards everyday. We would go back to Harry’s in a heartbeat. Thanks again Harry!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ROOP_AE
Augusta, GA
Reviewed May 11, 2010

What can I say that’s not already been said? My husband and I spent a week (3-10 May) at Harry’s in the blue cabina, and I am already planning a return trip.

We arrived later than expected, due to a flight delay, but Harry and Don’t the Dog were there to greet us with smiles. Having experienced everything from hostels to resorts to 5-star hotels, I must say, Harry’s place is definitely my favorite!

Harry has a knack for knowing the needs of his guests--always was there when we needed him or wanted to chat, but also was magically invisible at times, so we felt as though we had the place to ourselves. He’s a quick friend, gracious host, and a breath of fresh air. His advice on things to do, places to eat, local customs, and spots to visit were more than we could have ever asked for. (I'm already sad that I won't be drinking a cranberry-vodka at Nougi's with him, watching the sunset!)

Everything was top notch! A few amenities that you’ll love: comfortable bed, great water pressure, deceptively deep pool, clean cabinas, and cold A/C. The location is a quick walk or bike ride into town or the beach and is at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, a friendly pup and a talkative cat! =)

Harry even went out of his way to surprise us with champagne that my work arranged to be waiting on us one night. When I got back to work this morning, one of the first things mentioned was how great, easy to work with, and on the ball he was when they emailed to coordinate the gift. I appreciate that he was willing to take the extra step that many would have just regarding as an inconvenience.

If you are contemplating where to stay in Tamarindo, don’t hesitate…book a cabina with Harry. I look forward to seeing him again soon!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Had a great stay at Harry's! Harry is very welcoming and the location is ideal and away from the noise. Loved the stay in 2008 and hoping to go back soon! If you want to stay somewhere wonderful in Tamarindo then stay at Harry's!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver,B.C.Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I would definately recommend staying at Harry's El Escondite! The Cabina's are clean & comfortable. Harry has thought of everything you would need & if it's not there he will arrange or advise where to get it. A couple of blocks from the Beach means that it is quiet when you want it to be but still close enough to get in on the night action! Stone was awesome (Harry's canine) he is such a cool guy! 7 nights was not enough! Costa Rica is amazing & made even better when your accomodations are perfect! I/we will be back.....& I can bet it will be soon!
Thanx Harry for everything!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends