“What a dump! Stay away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Coco Rico

Hotel Coco Rico
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Hotel Coco Rico
You added Hotel Coco Rico to your Saves list
Ranked #45 of 48 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Corona, California
“What a dump! Stay away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I'm not sure if I should even write this review since I didn't actually stay the night in the hotel. I was shown the room and walked right out! So dirty!

The room I was shown had one double bed with no blankets. Only a sheet to keep warm with. The pillows were as flat as pancakes. The walls had brown stains all over them. I don't know what the stains were but it looked like some type of bodily fluids!

The shower, as I would later understand, is what the locals call a "suicide shower". There is an on-demand electrically powered water heater connected to the shower head. There were bare wires exposed where I'm supposed to take a shower?! Are you kidding me?

There a pool/hot tub thing that was dry and, because of rains, the driveway was completely wiped out. I barely made it out without serious car trouble.

The man showing us the room didn't seem in the least bit worried about the condition of the room.

STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Stevodadevo

Solo
Business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Located about a 5-10 minute walk away from the main strip, in a secluded area (not really ideal if you have to carry a surfboard/backpack daily). We had a standard room with a/c and only stayed one night. When we first walked in the room we noticed a gas/sewer-like smell and some creature could be heard scraping our roof. The room was small and seemed relatively clean but on inspection of the walls by the head of our bed, we saw many black specks that looked like many squished bugs, some of which fell onto our pillows. The washroom/shower curtains and towels were moldy and the hot water was non-existent. The only saving grace (if you could ignore the dead black flakes falling onto the pillow), was the bed, which was pretty comfortable.

Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor about this place, I definitely expected better. Even the "pool" was more of a kiddie pool. Probably the worst place we stayed in during our whole trip. I'd definitely recommend trying another place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank ludavinci
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed 5 days in this hotel with my wife and my 13 years old child and it was perfect for us. The french owner was very cool with us and the place is very nice and not expensive at all. A very good place for families with not huge budget.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vinzcarlamo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed here for 6 days in February 2009 and really loved it! It is a small, very affordable place to stay that is a block away from the main part of Tamarindo. It's definitely an advantage that it is not on the main strip, because it is quiet and there is hardly any traffic that goes by (unlike the main streets, where there are buses and nightlife etc). One of the highlights of our trip was the outdoor kitchen at the hotel- it allowed us to save a lot of money by keeping food in the fridge for lunch, and cooking at night, instead of having to buy every meal. Our room was cute and clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable. We had a porch with table and chairs that allowed us to sit outside at night. The caretakers are really nice, always around, and let us use their internet. The shower did not have hot water, but that was okay, because it was so hot outside anyway! I would highly recommend staying here over many of the other hotels in Tamarindo, which can be overpriced (i.e. Tamarindo Diria) or right in the middle of all the noise. This hotel made our stay so great. Please go here!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarastins
rico, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

The owners of this hotel are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful in the Tamarindo area. The rooms are clean, comfortable and have all of the basics to make you feel great after a long day in busy Tamarido. The hotel is close enough to the action, yet quiet and private when you need it. I would recommend Coco Rico, it is an exceptional value for the price!

• Liked — friendly, helpful owners, and price
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank singletrackjunkie
Encinitas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

I stayed there over Easter with 3 other friends and we all thought is was a great little hostel/hotel (about 8 rooms, I think).
Private rooms with the option of air conditioning (highly recommended in summer) or a fan. It was very clean and the owners are more than helpful with everything. They arranged so much for us, we were so thankful for finding such generous people!
Linens and towels were provided, and cleaned daily- very nice when backpacking! There's a kitchen and jacuzzi too.
Overall a great place that I highly recommend and would definitely go back.
Check it out!

• Liked — clean room, great owners
  • Disliked — small room for 4 people, but not a problem
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MegT79
vacouver, b.c.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

The hotel was nicely located just a five to ten minute to the beach so it was quite. The rooms were clean and air conditioned--nice get away from the heat of the day. The outdoor kitchen was well equiped for cooking. All in all I quite enjoyed my week stay at the Hotel Coco Rico. The owners were friendly and responsive to my needs and helped me in booking some side excursions.

• Liked — lopcation
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed March 2007
3 Thank jasmino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Cabinas Zullymar
Cabinas Marielos
Cabinas Marielos
#49 of 72 in Tamarindo
3.5 of 5 stars 64 reviews

Been to Hotel Coco Rico? Share your experiences!