“Surfing in Costa Rica”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Columbia, Missouri
“Surfing in Costa Rica”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Lisa and I were in Costa Rica from 6/6-6/13 for vacation. It was more a trip for me than her. I went to Surf Camp at Witch's Rock, Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica. It was a true learning experience for me. I surfed twice before, once during a two hour lesson in Hawaii, lucky enough for it to be on the North Shore at Turtle Bay and another time in San Diego. This was a completely different experience. It was challenging and fun. The instructors are great people who are encouraging and dynamic. They all have great stories. I surfed everyday for several hours each day. I got beat up at Playa Avellenas the last day. I can now say I surf but it will take a lifetime of surfing before I will call myself a surfer. Part of me thinks its a lifestyle too or a mindset. Thanks to Pedro, and Flash. Chest up, paddle one arm at a time, feet together, and pop up.

The hotel is fine. I would suggest getting the penthouse facing the beach. I was able to walk out onto the rooftop patio every morning and have an amazing view of Playa Tamarindo. Food is fresh and tasty. Staff is considerate and friendly. It was also nice to meet several of the over guests.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Max878
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Surfing is a lifestyle, and I recommend that everyone get into that mind set. Once you catch your first green wave, there is no turning back. The most amazing experience you can come by.
Hope to see you again soon! Pura Vida-WRSC Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Santa Monica
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Went with some friends and did not know what to expect. Once we landed at the airport, our shuttle service was waiting for us, we did not even have to wait. This trip was so smooth and the staff at Witchs Rock Surf Camp are ALL so nice and genuine. Don't expect an all inclusive resort. The rooms are small and no television but it all makes sense once you wrap up the surf safety class and hit the waves. You dont spend time in the rooms as we were all out surfing 2-3 times a day. I had so much fun on this trip and made great new friends. The only thing I would change on this trip if I could was an increase in water pressure in the showers upstais, but that was the least of my concerns. I totally recommend this place and cannot wait to go back. Also, Pedro rocks!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
I am so super excited to hear that we really surprised you with our great service!
Next time we will get more pressure up in those showers for you. We do have the best hot water in town though :-)
Pura Vida-WRSC Family
CT
Reviewed June 1, 2009

WRSC is a really cool place. all the staff are super down to earth and easy to talk to. it has a great location right on the beach and right in downtown tamarindo, although it feels perfectly isolated. the rooms were actually the biggest ones we saw (we checked out a few other local hotels for our last few nights in tamarindo).

we were lucky to catch a decent swell while we were down there and got some killer waves at playa grande. David was our guide most days and was excellent! a great surfer and a super friendly guy. Ricardo was the boat driver and guide on the trip to witches rock and he was equally terrific, plus one cant complain about the beautiful scenary, perfectly formed sandbars, and the complete lack of crowds. it was worth the trip just to surf there that day.

only thing to really note is that the shortboard selection is pretty lacking, its worth paying the airline fee to bring your own board if this matters to you as the actual number of shortboards available was around 10 (not counting fishes) from 5'11" to 6'8" but really nothing in between 6' and 6'6"

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tampa, FL
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We booked a trip with WRSC for a one week surfing vacation in May 2009. Included in our package was our hotel room at WRSC as well as breakfast every day, surf board rental every day and private instruction every day. To say that we were pleasantly surprised with everything would be an understatement, we were blown away. The room was clean and adequate, comfortable enough for a good night's sleep or afternoon nap but spartan enough to make you want to get out and enjoy the beautiful Tamarindo surf. The restaurant and bar, "Eat at Joe's" named after WRSC's owner Joe Walsh was outstanding. We ate there several times a day, not because of convenience, but because it was really that good. Their fish tacos and fresh sushi selection were to die for. The view is dreamy and the staff is super courteous and friendly.

The absolute best part of WRSC however are the surf instructors. These guys are first class in everything they do. Their instruction is spot on, they're all super laid back and friendly, and they are great at what they do. We had 5 instructors over the week that we were there and loved every one of them. Now that we're home we miss them and can't wait to book our next trip to WRSC so we can surf some more and see our new friends again.

DEFINITELY check this place out, it is awesome. Pura Vida.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thomas5471
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, July 4, 2009
Thank you thomas5471 for your appreciation on our surf instructors. They really are one of a kind and always willing to show you a good time in and out of their work schedule.

Have a great summer and Pura Vida from the WRSC Family.
Kelowna
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This was my first trip to Costa Rica and first attempt at surfing. Considering it was a last minute trip I was fortunate to find a remarkable destination.

The trip was unlike anything I've experienced before; staying at the hotel provided an instant connection to everyone as you meet people daily. As the week progresses and the lesson groups change you get to know most of the people in the hotel. There was a great mix of singles and couples, from their early twenties to those in their fifties.

The staff, instructors and owners were great. I haven't hesitated recommending Witches Rock to my closest friends and can't wait for the opportunity to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelowna99
We can't wait for you to return either. Thanks for Pura Vida vibes to WRSC!

Enjoy your summer and hope you can get some waves!

WRSC Family
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Four months later, we were back in Tamarindo for another surfing experience with WRSC.

My husband David and two of our best friends-Marleta & Dain- arrived at Tamarindo on April 3rd to celebrate David's 33rd birthday. And for the next 10 days, we surfed and enjoyed our days in many different beaches along the northern pacific coast of CR. What an amazing experience!!!!!!!!

Of course, as soon as we arrived, we talked to Marcela who helped us with all our surfing needs. Marcela is always so friendly and wonderful, she is truly an amazing asset in WRSC.
David our surfing guide is so much fun, and he is such a great surfer. We adore him and always want to surf with him. Calin our driver is just so friendly. Every time we visit Witch Rock and Ollies, Ricardo takes us there in a boat, we feel safe and he is a lot of fun. And Carlos who is makes the surfing schedules truly rocks. He made it possible for us to travel in boat to different beaches most days, what an amazing experience.

Thank you to each one of you who help make WRSC THE BEST SURFING CAMP in Tamarindo.

Esperamos regresar pronto!
Amelia & David

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Amelia and David,

You guys ROCK! Thanks for being such loyal fans to WRSC! Can't wait for you both to come back. Our staff are missing your smiling faces here :-)

Pura Vida and see you in the new year,

WRSC Family
Montreal
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Having returned to WRSC 5 times tells the story. I love it.

If you are a surfer wannabe or a pro, WRSC will be fun. It may not be ideal for a all inclusive resort type, but if you surf or want to surf, this is the place.

Three hours after arriving I was surfing an offshore reef, a first for me, and on the way back to camp we caught some fish that the camp cooked up for us.

I'll be back for trip #6!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, April 30, 2009
You are right, 5 visits does tell the story. You know that our most visited guest just left from her 15th visit to WRSC.
You are all what makes us, along with our famous employees, we wouldn't be here with you all!