“Best surfers trip for solo travelers!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Recently learning to surf I picked Witchs Rock to kick up my abilities and for a perfect getaway! Not having traveled solo in many years I was nervous, but it turned out to be one of my favorite vacations, hence why I'm already booked to go back!
Diverse crowd, ages, single travelers, couples and groups.
GREAT friendly staff always available to accommodate. The instructors are knowledgable and can surely rip if you get the chance to see them!
The rooms are basic but clean---known and expected as its surf camp---best value at a great price!
Suggestions:
Bring GOOD (vertra, headhunter) sunscreen and a decent amount.
Rashguards so you don't burn.
Beach towel for post surf. A few simple, very light outfits for evenings, dinners, dancing out one or two nights!

Ladies---it's humid so I ended up throwing my hair up at night or wearing a hat.

A HUGE thank you overall for the experience, highly recommend this camp.
SURFS UP!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DelMarsGirl
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Gracias for coming down & having an amazing time with us. Very stoked to hear that all of your nervous feelings about coming down alone, proved to be absolutely fine when actually down here. We do get sooo many single travelers, and even our non-single travelers, hang out with everyone in the camp anyways. Just feels like a big family between guests and staff alike.

Great tips for other travelers as well such as sunscreen and hair dryers for woman. You just have to focus on your bikini and surfboard and not so much on your hair :-)

See you again in the future, we will be waiting with sunshine & a surfboard for ya!

Shawna

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I just got back from my first stay at WRSC, and I'm already planning to return in April and October next year! This was my second time in Tamarindo, and I'll never stay anywhere else ever again. As a solo female traveler, I can assure you that both the camp and the town are very safe. The camp has a great laid back vibe while still meeting the needs of their guests. The beach is just a few steps away and is an amazing sight any time of the day. The staff is super friendly. In fact, I spent my birthday here and they made it an incredibly special day for me. The lessons were so much fun and my instructor Pako is the absolute greatest ever! He helped me get up on my board, stay up and ride some sweet waves - in just a few days! Nothing but great things to say about WRSC! Stay here, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about your room, you won't be in there much!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kristina L

Gracias Kristina L! It was great celebrating your birthday with you down here.

We will make sure to pass on your comments to Pako, who will be stoked to hear how much you enjoyed his lessons.

See you down here again!

Shawna

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My cousin and I booked a trip for 7 days at the end of September. We were a little nervous about the weather since it's rainy season, but we figured we're going to get wet anyways, right?! The first few days we got majorly lucky. It was gorgeous every day and only rained once the sun went down. The last few days it seemed like the rain would happen in the afternoon just as we were ending our surf sessions, and the rain only lasted about an hour.

I started in the beginner class because I haven't surfed in a while. I learned some very basic things that I never thought about and it changed my surfing tremendously. I was then able to bump up to the intermediate class. These lessons went to different breaks and lasted about 3 hours long.

This trip is awesome for surfing. You wake up, eat your free breakfast, drink your extremely strong coffee, and head off to your surfing lesson. Then you eat lunch, and do whatever else you want with the rest of your day.. in my case, I went surfing again until the sun set. My instructors were awesome and helpful. (Love you Pako!!). Everyone else who attended the camp was also awesome and it didn't take long before I made plenty of friends.

I also went to Ollies Point and Witch's Rock. Ollies was an unbelievable, perfect wave. I hung out on the outside since I'm not an advanced surfer and I still had a ton of fun. I didn't surf Witch's Rock that day though since the waves were about head high and there was debris and logs floating in the water. The only complaint about that trip is we were gone all day and the only food they had for us was tiny (VERY tiny) tuna sandwhiches. No breakfast and no water. They didn't make this very clear so by the end of the trip we all felt a bit woozy.

I definitely recommend this trip to any surfer, or anyone who wants to learn. You'll definitely learn how to get up on the board with the awesome instructors. And, if you already kind of know but you've hit a blocker and you're having a hard time progressing, the awesome waves and helpful instructors will help you out big time.

I'm hoping to go back next year!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lindsay J

Hey Lindsay J!

Thanks for "clearing up" any second thoughts on coming down here for our green season! Even when it does rain more than usual, you are wet anyways, and sometimes surfing in the rain is amazing!

Glad to hear you and your cousin had the trip of a lifetime! We will definitely make sure to pass on your comments to Pako who seemed to help you improve greatly in your surfing ability.

See you down here again in paradise!

Shawna Mullen

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was here in early February and am trying to go back this January I loved it so much. I have traveled pretty extensively and this is one of my top trips ever. It's basically like summer camp with beer for adults. It's also a great place to travel alone because you will immediately make friends, and as a single, petite woman, I felt incredibly safe. You surf twice a day - early in the morning and again in the afternoon. During the midday, people sleep, hang out in the restaurant bar, get massages, and just kind of relax. Evenings are fun because Tamarindo is so small and walkable that everyone from camp sort of travels in packs, jumping from restaurant to restaurant (and bar to bar, if you're interested in that). The accommodations at Witch's Rock are clean but fairly basic; if you want to, you can still do the program and stay at the much nicer resort about a block away. You can also, if you want to be in a little quiter setting, stay at the Cocodrillo, which is a few doors down and run by a great couple and their friend Stephen (HI, Stephen!!!). I ended up staying at the Cocodrillo because the rooms at Witch's Rock were sold out, but I totally would have stayed there had there been space. Everyone who works at the camp is super friendly and accessible. I improved a great deal as a surfer and felt like I got a lot of help. All in all, I cannot recommend this place enough, especially for solo travelers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! You have the schedule down pat. We're lucky enough to have great guests and, you already have surfing in common so it's really easy to make friends. Next time, just be sure to book in advance so we can get you in here on site!

Remember that we always offer special return guest discounts and we have a great 50/50 Guest Referral Program. Send us your favorite friends and family, and not only will we take care of them and make sure they have an amazing experience, everyone gets discounts!

Pura vida

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I went to WRSC solo in August and had a great time. Everyone is friendly and it is in a good location - great beach,water, waves, restaurants, shopping, etc. The staff at WRSC are super nice (wait staff, people at front desk/store, cleaning staff, board cage, the instructors and the camera guy. I had Isaac as my instructor for most of the week and he was awesome! Tips are a nice way to say thank you and they do appreciate it & don't forget the camera guy - he's the one taking the pics that you get to watch at the bar. Thank you WRSC. I had a great time and hope to be back soon. ~ pura vida

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you so much for the awesome review! We're pretty luck to have our amazing staff. They all do their best to make you feel like a member of the family.

Pura vida!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Good value to learn to surf and get the lay of the land. Great way to get access to all of the local and not so local surf spots. My only gripe would be the mosquitos and they were no ones fault so just bring bugspray. I would recommend trying different shortboards which I didn't just to see which ones work for you the best. Also they taught me to surf pretty well which I could only barely do before. Now I can get up almost everytime on every wave. Bottom line is everybody learns to surf by the begining of the week and can catch there own waves by about midweek. Had lots of fun here and met some great people. The town was a little quiet at night but I think it was the offseason. I would highly recommend this place to others wanting to surf. They were overbooked so I had to stay at the Crocodillo which was a short walk away but in the end I liked the hotel better b/c I had cable and a bigger rooom with a kitchen. It also had the best french bakery in the hotel which was unbelievable!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Muchas gracias for the great review! Glad you had a fun trip with us and were able to improve your surfing! Those mosquitoes can be pesky this time of year but, during out dry season November-April, they're not so pesky at all.

Pura vida!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I just finished our second trip to Witch's Rock. This time we brought our 11 year old son along for the fun. This was the most fun we've ever had on a vacation, thanks to the amazing location of the camp in Tamarindo, Costa Rica and all the friendly staff at Witch's Rock - Especially our instructors, Andres and J. Louis! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hi Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the camp. I am so glad you brought your son with you this time, I'm sure he had a blast! We can't wait to have you here for your third time!

See you soon in the water!

Julie Javelle