“highlight of my trip!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
milwaukee
“highlight of my trip!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

On my trip, I traveled to 4 different cities. Witch's Rock was by far my favorite! The room, food, beach, and staff were all wonderful. In addition, the town has so many tourist attractions, not to mention happy hours! Surfing was absolutely amazing...It has been a goal of mine to learn how to surf, so I thank Witch's rock for helping me achieve that goal!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Life is too short so I am glad you went with your dream and it was a pleasure for us to be one of your favorite spots in Costa Rica.

Just in case you want to continue improving your surfing, we always offer special return guest discounts and we have a great 50/50 Guest Referral Program. Send us your favorite friends and family, and not only will we take care of them and make sure they have an amazing experience, everyone gets discounts!

Talk to you soon!

Julie Javelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Surf lessons were great and so was the food and hospitality. They helped me actually learn to surf. The staff there obviously cares about their job. So exciting! I didnt have a chance to stay in the hotel so ill have to book a trip back.
Luis G. .

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Make sure you reserve way in advance next time to stay at the camp, thank you to our awesome staff we are normally all full all year long!

Remember that we always offer special return guest discounts and we have a great 50/50 Guest Referral Program. Send us your favorite friends and family, and not only will we take care of them and make sure they have an amazing experience, everyone gets discounts!

See you soon at one of the most amazing sunsets on earth!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Overall great experience in a friendly environment and most important great surfing with awesome surf guides!

We chose the rain season due to the reduced price and got perfect waves! The occasional rain showers that usually only last for 20 minutes did actually feel quite amazing out on the ocean :-)

Would always go there again!

Pura vida

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Aren't the tropical rain the most relaxing thing ever? I know that feeling of sitting down on your board in the middle of the ocean with a nice tropical rain... AMAZING! Thanks you for sharing such a great experience with everyone!

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked Witch's rock on the recommendation from several friends who also surf. A big birthday in April demanded some celebration and Witch's Rock was an amazing choice.

The staff is so friendly and the surf instructors are great. Encouraging, helpful, and protective on the line up. It's also pretty inspiring to watch them surf too. Paco rocks!

The accommodations are basic, this is a surf camp so get zen and let the water roll off your back. We ended up with cold showers on two occasions after long day of surf, so that kind of sucked. Eventually fixed itself. I would highly recommend getting your evening shower in earlier, rather than later when the hot water is gone. Otherwise, an amazing stay in a good room.
Our drivers and boat captains were awesome, Maxie waxy is always smiling. Front Desk staff arranged a surprise birthday cake and mariachi band for my birthday! You guys rock!!
It really is a camp in the sense that we made some amazing friends while there and have already organized to meet again in November back at WRSC...can't wait!

Some tips: Bring your own beach towel or plan on buying one there. A cooler with ice and WATER and beer in your room wouldn't be a bad idea. If going on the Ollie's Point/Witch's Rock trip, bring cash as it costs $ to get your permit into the national park. And snacks.

Room Tip: Stay in a balcony room. More private, closer to the monkeys :-)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lieludalis
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Wow - gracias for the awesome review! So amazing to hear what a great time you had, even though you had to shower with cold water a couple of times. We will definitely look into that problem!

Remember that if you come back again, we offer great return guest discounts & have an awesome guest referral program!

Pura Vida and hope to see you again!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Witch's Rock Surf Camp is great for what it is - providing for a surf vacation that allows you to focus on surfing and forget about the logistics usually associated with that. I have been there now three times, can compare it to other surf resorts, and here is my take on it:

There are plenty of breaks nearby, many of them are quite sensitive to tides, swell direction, and wind. The guides are long-timers and have the places wired, vans and boats are on hand, so they are able to find the right break for you and there is hardly a day where absolutely nothing is working. This would be very hard to replicate on your own, not to mention the difficulties you'd have finding some of the spots. Also, the coaching tips from the guides are helpful - you will definitely improve your skills with their help and the videos and photos they take.

The accommodations are rather spartan, but functional and clean. Air conditioning and WiFi work well, and housekeeping is doing a terrific job - cleaning up after surfers can't be easy, but they do it very well. I wish the room had a retractable cloth line in the shower, though; that would make drying out things much easier.

The restaurant offers an included breakfast, which hit the spot for me especially after a 6 am surf session, and surfer food and sushi and drinks for the rest of the day. The quality is good, the portions large. They serve "Nachos as Big as your [--]" - I really hope my [--] isn't that big! It's still surfer food, though, but if you like something more sophisticated, there are fancier restaurants in town. I wish they had a better selection of wines, though, as I like to view the sunset with a glass of good wine in my hand, instead of a beer or cocktail which they have plenty of.

The front desk is helpful, transportation works, on-site massages are relaxing, and special events like Robert August's shaping demo can be exciting. And the camaraderie among the surfers is great. They have a decent but a bit limited selection of rental surfboards available for your use, and they even wax them for you. Hopefully, they'll add more to the quiver. But if you have your own board that you like, definitely bring it.

In summary, if you're looking for a surfing vacation where you can focus on surfing without having to worry about the logistics of it, this is the place for you. Don't expect a 4-star hotel or a fancy restaurant, though; that's not what this is.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank JCMeiners
Wow - thank you so much for such a detailed review on your WRSC experience!

Really glad to hear that you really enjoyed the entire experience!

Gracias amigo for such a nice review and taking the time to let all of us know about it, WRSC staff and potential guests alike! We will definitely put forth your idea on some retractable cables for drying your always wet surfing clothes! Thanks for the idea.

Pura Vida & your WRSC family will be waiting your return.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I traveled here alone looking for great waves. I found many. The surf guides were excellent' as were all the staff. Even after I left the camp to travel around Costa Rica the camp offered great advice and help.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for writing your thoughts on your Witch's Rock experience! Very stoked to hear that you had a wonderful time! Hope you had a great rest of your Costa Rican adventure!

Pura Vida!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I came with two friends a couple years ago. The accommodations are clean and modest and the camp itself is a cool hangout. I ate all my meals at the restaurant downstairs, which is pretty good and reasonably priced. I'm not a complete beginner on a surfboard, but I also can't handle huge waves or surfing over reefs, so the beach break in front of the surf camp was truly awesome, with consistent good waves between 2-5 feet in October. It was the end of rainy season and although it rained in the evenings, the days were beautiful and not too hot, and the island was green and lush. We arrived late and couldn't get in touch with Witches Rock staff upon arrival, so we had to rent an expensive hotel for our first night, but when we told Witches Rock about it they agreed to reimburse us the full amount! I also took a side trip through a salt marsh, which was really cool.

The downsides: The instructors are nice, but not good at all and in a big group you get almost no individual attention. I am not a complete beginner (I can stand up, ride green waves, make turns, etc.) but the only instruction I got in lessons was appropriate for someone who had never been on a surfboard before. I could not advance my surfing because I did not get appropriate instruction, and couldn't handle the more advanced breaks that they took us to (a 6-8 foot point break, and a 4-foot break with powerful rips), so I ended up sitting on the sidelines for entire afternoons. There is also basically no town to speak of, so your activities are limited to surfing, hanging out and drinking at the restaurant (not a bad option), and doing day trips like ziplining.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michaelsien81
Thank you for all of your insightful reviews. It is unfortunate that we have only heard about this two years after the fact, as we would have loved to have had the chance to correct which surf program you guys were enrolled in & turn your trip around - especially in the surf programs which we excel at!

I know that a couple of years ago, we were just introducing our Intermediate Coaching program, which sounds like the program you should have been signed up for. We may not have had it completely dialed in yet, but we sure do now and it is our most popular program today. Here is what it looks like now:

Intermediate Coaching Program - For the surfer who is catching their own green waves, and would like to greatly improve on their timing, turning and consistently riding down the line. Includes a DAILY three hour daily tour by boat or van (no more than 5 students per instructor), DAILY out of water surf seminar, DAILY board rental all day long, one time video analysis.

Hopefully if you read this, you can give us another chance, so that we may show you just how dialed in we have our Intermediate Coaching program - everyone leaves with tired arms & a smile on their face. If you don't come back, thank you for pointing this out now, never too late, so that we make sure that all guests coming now and in the future have a great time!

Pura Vida!