“Great Surf Week”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Toronto, Canada
“Great Surf Week”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just returned from a great week at Witch's Rock. Very laid back, low key vibe. Met lots of great people and enjoyed the food, beer and hospitality.

The best part, however, is the surfing. My son is an athletic 22 year old who had just ridden white water on his two or three previous outings. I have more experience and have surfed green waves, but not particularly well. We spent two days in the beginner class, then we were on boat trips with the intermediates. My son was riding down the line on 4 foot faces by the end of the week, and I carved up and down on a few larger waves. Great improvement for both of us, and entirely due to the great wave quality and variety of breaks, combined with the best instructors I have ever had, by far. Andres and Flash were outstanding, friendly, and professional in their jobs. Flash took us out on the boat for four days, and spent all of his time coaching and selecting waves for his guests. Tough for him not to ride the great surf, I am sure, but he took pride in his work and our improvement.

The beginner waves in front of the resort are very good to get newbies going. Even the board selection was reasonable for beginners/intermediates. I had a 7'6" McTavish Bobsled for the week.

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I am very happy to hear you had such a good experience with us! our main goal is to make you feel at home! Next time the two of you come it will right in the intermediate switching to advance ;) Waves are great in February, normally swells start to come in and the off shore winds are on all day!

Remember to ask for our return guest discount, whenever you want to return!

Pura Vida !

Julie Javelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Anahola
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I met truly great people before I even got off the shuttle, and spent the week surfing in a relaxed, professional, friendly environment that hosts first-timers and advanced surfers alike. I underline professional! I enjoyed it so much, I returned for my birthday with even more friends... and the second time was equally amazing. The staff, Shawna and Elizabeth in reservations, to the wait staff, to pro shop staff, to the instructors--are sincerely dedicated to making sure you have a trip to remember. I highly recommend Witch's Rock Surf Camp to anyone looking for a safe, fun, exciting way to spend a vacation. Mahalo!

A hui hou kakou

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! It really put a smile on my face! Everyone work very hard here to give you the best time, which is not that hard, we just try to give you the same passion as us, surfing! We are glad you have become part of the WRSC family! See you in water soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We didnt stay at the hotel or use the surf shop, just had lunch here one day. Great view of the beach. We loved the food. We stuck with the local type menu items, no sushi. Big selection on the menu, portions big.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Make sure you try our micro brew beer next time! See you soon and pura vida!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The restaurant serves mediocre food for way too much. We ordered sushi, and after waiting 50 minutes we enquired how much longer it would take. We were told 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, we asked again, and were again told 5 minutes. It finally came almost 80 minutes after the order was placed. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I first experienced Witch's Rock on a whim last November, after being recommended this place by a friend. I went solo at the last minute, and am so glad I did! I met amazing people before I even got off the shuttle, and spent a week learning to surf in a relaxed, professional, friendly environment that welcomes first-timers (like me!) and advanced surfers alike. I enjoyed it so much, I returned in May for my birthday with a couple friends... and had an equally amazing time. The staff there--from the Shawna and Elizabeth in reservations, to the wait staff, to pro shop staff, to the instructors--are GENUINELY dedicated to making sure you have a trip you'll never forget. I made friends for life at this place, and strongly recommend it to anybody looking for a safe, fun, exciting way to spend a vacation.

Room Tip: Tiki room for the solo traveler who wants privacy; shared accommodation for solo travelers on a budg...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
and thank you for all the goodies you bring with you! Thank you for being part of the WRSC family :)

Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I echo a lot of the previous reviews. Accommodations are simple. Rooms are clean with A/C. This is not a resort. I thought the food was excellent. Breakfast is free every morning if you are staying on property...I got the Banana Pancakes every day...they were awesome!

My review centers around the surfing experience. I went with a group of 5 guys. We are all relatively experienced surfers from Florida. I think it helped to be in a decent sized group of experienced surfers, because they basically gave us a boat and a guide every day and let us choose where we wanted to surf. We surfed as long as we wanted to and then returned to the "Camp." It was an ideal set-up because there were no instructions needed. The guide typically pointed out where the best breaks were, warned us if there was a heavy local crowd, and joined us for some surfing.

Out of 7 days of surfing, we took 2 bus tours, 4 boat tours, and 1 bus/boat tour to Witch's Rock. We surfed Tamarindo Beach, Grande, Avellanas, Marbella, and Witch's Rock/Ollie's Point. Tamarindo pretty much sucked....absolutely packed with people. Grande was fair but crowded too. Avellanas was pretty good. Marbella was our favorite. Witch's Rock COULD be good, but conditions were horrible while we were there.

I strongly recommend taking a spring-suit (shorty) wetsuit for your surf tour to Witch's Rock/Ollie's Point. When we were there, the wind was about 50 mph "off-shore" and the water was freezing cold. Waves were small b/c of high wind and impossible to catch. Half of our group didn't even try to surf because conditions were so poor and water was so cold. It was literally a wasted day. 2-3 hours in a bus and 2-3 hours by boat round trip for poor surf was no good. That being said, it still didn't ruin our trip or anything. It was just sort of a let down.

I think this place lends itself well to beginner surfers as well as advanced surfers. Our guides were excellent.

I do think the WRSC claim to have 2 guided surf tours per day is pretty misleading. You are most likely going to get 1 good, long, high-quality guided surf tour each day. Then if you want to go surf out in front of the Camp later you can do that on your own. You are at the mercy of the tide.

The surfboard selection at WRSC was not great, but it was adequate for me...some of my friends went across the street and rented better boards at Kelly Surf Shop.

Tips for your trip to WRSC:
1. Take your own Sunscreen (and lots of it)...it was ridiculously priced every where we went in Costa Rica
2. Search the future tide forecast before choosing your surf trip. The tides are huge (9') and they make a big difference. All surfing revolves around high tide. We picked a week where the peak high tide was mid-morning, and this was ideal.
3. Bring plenty of American $1 bills and $5 bills...bring more than you think you need...this is your standard currency in Tamarindo, CR.
4. If you have trouble sleeping (like I do when I'm in hotels), then get your doctor to prescribe you some Ambien. You will wake up refreshed without ever noticing that there may have been noise above you or beside you or on the street outside.
5. If you have never traveled to foreign countries before...especially where there is more poverty than you are used to...just keep and open mind and enjoy the adventure. This is not America. Some things are great....some things might not be to your liking...but this is someone's home. Don't be disrespectful and have fun.
6. Have a good attitude. If you are looking for problems, then you will surely find them.

Room Tip: If you have a large group (4 or 5), get one of the big rooms with the roof balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review to share your WRSC experience! We are glad you had such a good time! It sounds like you came during the off shore winds season! Yup water can get a little cold here when the cold currents come in, luckily it's only 3 month out of the year :) and nice warm weather all year round ! Also thank you for the tips for future customers ! See you back soon in the water!

Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Didn't stay at the camp but did go to Eat at Joe's. Food was excellent and there's a good surf spot right in front. It's definitely a great place to go off the map (so to speak) for a while. I recommend!

Stayed May 2013