“nachos supreme”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
seattle
“nachos supreme”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

we went the restraunt there... eat at joes..... i had seen an ad for it and we stopped by and it was great the service was great and cheery, and the food was good... and the foo foo drinks with the fruits and umbrellas was an extra touch for being in a beach side restraunt in the tropics... love it.. would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have traveled solo before, but it was in a much more remote location, so I was rather trepidatious about traveling and staying by myself- but I shouldn't have worried! Their blog on "Is Tamarindo safe" is right on- I always felt completely safe, and the staff took great care in answering any and every question I had! The surf lessons were great, our instructors were full of energy, and genuinely wanted you to catch waves. We learned in a group of three, and everyone was riding waves by the second day (caveat- I did not realize we were being given some assistance in the form of them pushing us to give us some momentum to catch the wave, but as I was a complete beginner, learning to "push up" was the priority, so I think it worked out best like that).

The ocean can get crowded, but I was able to hang out for about 3 hours on my board, trying to figure out the waves, and which ones to catch, after one of my lessons, and it wasn't so crowded that I got in anyone's way, so while it has a reputation for being a crowded place, it's really not that bad at all. And the trip to a separate place at the end of the beginner lessons was on a beautiful, uncrowded beach. I felt completely taken care of by my surf instructors, they were wonderful, and gave me a great foundation for continuing on a surf journey!

As for rooms, I have never stayed in a hostel type place, so at first I was *slightly* taken aback (I stayed in the tiki, no balcony room, as no balconies were available). Then I realized I had a bed, bathroom, place to put my stuff, and it even had air conditioning- by the end of the week, it was luxurious! I also slept maybe 4 hours a night, so I have no opinion regarding noisy rooms, as I was always in late and exhausted from a day of surfing. The shared rooms in the courtyard looked really nice, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the rooms. The restaurant/bar staff was awesome, always immediately grabbed whatever I wanted, even set me up poolside with plastic cups and pitchers. Being vegan, the food situation was slightly difficult, but I knew that going in, and their guacamole was awesome, so I was fine!!

There is a ton of fun nightlife and restaurants in and around Witches Rock, so you can venture out, I always felt safe, but like any city town, there are a number of unsavory characters (people on the street offering you things, etc), but I just ignored and never had any problems, it was nice to be able to walk around at night, or on the beach, and feel safe. Witches Rock, I believe, has it's own security guard at night, so that was nice.

Overall, I loved the laid back vibe, I wish they didn't have wi-fi! But it's a plus if you need to stay in touch, I loved being in my bathing suit all day, lucked out that the majority of the people that were there when I was were solo travelers, so it made night-time fun. Despite the laid back, pura vida philosophy, the staff is excellent at taking care of any snags- my first flight there was cancelled, so I arrived 8 or 9 hours later than planned, was emailing them as soon as I found out, and my airport transfer was still there to meet me at my new flight time, so the combination of super laid back but ready to handle any problems, the fact that I could stand up and ride a wave by the end, and the great extras (seminars, new friends, great bar/restaurant, great surf shop/staff) means I would definitely recommend this place to solo, couples, or friends, and will definitely be back (and hopefully able to try out intermediate by then)!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Alicia Marie C
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had always wanted to learn how to surf. My wife - not so much. She plays beach volleyball fairly regularly at Hermosa and Manhattan in So Cal, and she always wanted me to come and hang out with her. I have no interest in volleyball, but I did want to learn to surf. So, I booked us a week at Witch's Rock Surf Camp and hoped it would work out.

We had a great time. I wasn't sure that my wife would like it, but the bathtub warm water made the experience very pleasant for her. We had a great coach - Axel - who was very helpful and patient. We are in our late 40's, and probably slow learners for him. Nonetheless, by the end of the week, we were both standing up on our surfboards and having a great time.

The accommodations are spartan, but clean and comfortable. After being there for a week, you gain an appreciation for how hard the staff works to keep it clean as you track sand in from the beach. The restaurant staff are helpful and friendly, and the food is great. They have a microbrewery associated with the camp - I pretty much fell in love with the Gato Malo beer, and I'm not that big of a fan of beer. I'm not sure if it is a usual occurrence, but we were also treated to time with Robert August of Endless Summer fame - very cool.

My only criticism, and it is minor, is the fellow who keeps the boards was not particular helpful or friendly - remember the soup nazi from the Seinfeld episodes? Think of that with surfboards. He wouldn't let me use a particular board even though we pay for board rental as part of the package. I tried to enlist the help of one of the surf coaches who spoke to him, threw up his hands, and said - he's crazy and I can't help you.

We certainly plan on going back. We went for one week, and if you are newbies like us, and relatively fit, I would encourage you to consider two weeks. That's our plan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason B
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 15, 2013

What a nice place! Laid back, good food, cold drinks and even their own beer!!! What more to expect. The food is tasty and the service friendly. A place I will come back to again and again. For me watching the sunset - and later the stars,while drinking a cold beer and waiting for the snacks to arrive is a nice way to spend the evening..

Room Tip: I know nothing about the rooms - have just eaten there...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Witch's Rock Surf Camp is geared to those who are new to surfing, although they have intermediate classes and advanced spots. The hotel itself is spare; the rooms do not have televisions, they offer basic soap and towels. The emphasis is on a natural experience (Pura Vida), however they have very good air conditioners in each room. The bar/restaurant served very good food, the staff was very friendly and the prices were reasonable. Because this hotel is geared to surfers, the entire place goes dark by 10 p.m.

There are restaurants, souvenirs shops, tour companies, markets and other places within walking distance.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the second floor (with balcony) with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Janet L
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Even though this is known for the surffing the food at the restraunt is great. Service is cheery and friendly. Went several times for breakfast and lunch. Good value and easy to get to. Parking can be a little tight. Great surf shop on sight.

• Stayed February 2013
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the first week of a two week Costa Rica trip here. He has surfed his whole life and signed up for intermediate surfing as he is 60 and wasn't sure how he'd handle 8 days of surfing. He got to try different boards, enjoyed the company and loved the experience. His guides Paco and Flash were great and encouraged him to come back and sign up for the advanced group.

I don't surf, so I came prepared for spending the week relaxing with books and knitting. Our room had a balcony overlooking the ocean. The rooms are spartan, think "camp", but with comfortable beds and clean. My one complaint is there were no chairs out on the balcony or in our room. I spent most of the day sitting on a bed in the room which I got tired of after awhile. If we come back again I know to pack a folding chair. Great view, pretty beach, nice town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple