Witch's Rock Surf Camp
$179
Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$162
Bookit.com
Occidental Tamarindo(Playa Langosta)
$191
  • Pool
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$78
$73
Hotel Arco Iris(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$75
$258
$190
$286
  • Pool
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$67
$150
$146
  • Breakfast included
Los Altos de Eros(Tamarindo)
$325
$244
All reviewsboard cageintermediate groupvideo analysisel vaquerorobert augustpura vidanachosbeach breakcosta ricasolo tripcatch wavesboard selectionskill levelendless summernew friendsshared roombanana pancakes
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have had surf lessons else where. These guys broke it down where I could understand and were very patient.

My in structure Luis is fantastic. They also have seminars at the end of the day to add to your lessons, like surf etiquette.

I surfed for four days and wished for more. Loved every minute, I will come back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janner519
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend and I booked a last-minute surf package on a Tuesday to show up on Saturday. Elizabeth was extremely helpful and responsive in booking us. The camp's rooms were all full, so she booked us in La Colina, a short walk up the hill with views you can't imagine (we would have coffee on the balcony overlooking the Pacific each morning before heading to Joe's for breakfast - get the burrito with a side of extra guacamole!). The friendly shop staff let us put our bags behind the counter every day, so staying offsite was no problem. I'll add that a (now) friend stayed in the rooms and loved being so close to the beach/camp.

We were each first-time surfers, and the instructors had us up on our boards the first day (my friend got up on her first try ever). Thanks J-Louis!

I'd go back in a heartbeat, and I may just show up on Saturday again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've been to Witches Rock Surf Camp 3 times now and every trip has been great. The staff is wonderful. The location is right on the beach in Tamarindo, and is beautiful. My husband and I have different surfing skill levels and they have surf trips that are fun for both of us. The guides and instructors are fun and professional. This last trip we had our flights home cancelled because of a storm and they went way beyond what you might expect in helping us get new flights and lodging for the extra days in Costa Rica. We have surfed in many other places, including Puerto Rico and Hawaii, and we keep coming back to Witches Rock Surf camp.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

As a self described 'intermediate' level surfer, I had been interested in going to surf in Costa Rica for some time. I decided to book a trip for Feb. 2013 since the surf seemed to be a manageable size at that time of year along with excellent wind and weather conditions.

I decided to do the Solo Traveller deal since you save around $400 over having a single room. My roommates were great and since have become friends I hope to meet up with in the future. In my case, the Solo Traveller deal worked out great since the guys I shared the room with were interested in having the same type of experience I wanted, i.e., focus on surfing and chilling and not partying.

The room was spacious and clean which is all you really need if you are in Costa Rica primarily to surf. Housecleaning took care of everything on a daily basis. I'm actually glad that it didn't have a TV. The room is a 30 second walk to the restaurant which offers great meals especially for breakfast. To get the most out of your time in Tamarindo it is probably best to eat breakfast and maybe lunch at WRSC and your dinners out in town.

The best thing about this trip for me as a surfer was being able to surf 10 times in 7 days. In the morning you can often surf uncrowded waves at the Tamarindo beach break out front or at the Tamarindo rivermouth a few minutes walk north. The key is to wake up early and be on the beach by 7am or earlier. The intermediate guided surf trips were to Playa Grande (to the north) and Playa Avellanas (to the south). The waves were similar to Southern California beach breaks but with good shape most days, clean and clear warm water and relatively undeveloped beach fronts. For the intermediate tours, they put you in a van with other members of your tour group and drive you to the surf break. We usually surfed for about 2.5 hours.

As an intermediate surfer who has been surfing for close to six years, I thought I knew everything to do out in the water or at least was suppose to be doing. The excellent surf guides who are also all expert level surfers provided me with subtle but important tips to help take my surfing to the next level. Shout out to Flash, Paco and Andres.

I would highly recommend WRSC to the intermediate level surfer who wants to take his or her surfing to the next level and is visiting Costa Rica for the first time. They make everything easy for you like picking you up and dropping you off from the airport, providing a free breakfast and picking the best time and spot to surf for the surf tours.

Surfboard rental selection could be better for intermediate and advanced surfers. I would throw in some good small wave boards (Firewire Dominators, etc ...) and fish type boards.

Room Tip: Room #2 is suppose to be an especially good one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Ron_in_LA
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Review 1 of 2:
I had such a great experience at WRSC this past Nov that I ended up booking a return trip back for Jan. I'll start with my Nov trip. It didn't take long for me to feel totally comfortable and at ease with this place. Every facet of the place was friendly, helpful and inviting. All of the girls at the reception desk were always so accommodating and friendly, as were the restaurant staff. This is so important when you're traveling, especially alone. It didn't take long for me to feel at ease and at home with this place. Next came the surf lessons. The intermediate program is awesome! We got to surf different breaks in the local area (Avellanas, Grande) and went on longer day trips to Nosara and a secret spot. These road trips were fun experiences in themselves. Flash and JLuis were the guides on this trip and they were excellent! They were very helpful and friendly and I felt the sincerity behind their desire to help you improve on your skills. They also have their photographer and videographer Jiji film you every two days for your video analysis seminars which i really like because I am able to see my performance and receive critiques from the guides. The surf camp environment enables you to make friends easily. The hotel is beachfront and is very clean and safe. I like that it strikes the perfect balance between being close and far enough to town. Overall, i highly recommend this place for someone who likes the very casual bohemian, laid back experience without having to slum it up. I prefer staying onsite at WRSC as opposed to their sister hotel Cocodrillo as it tends to feel a bit disconnected. But everyone who I have talked to who stayed at Cocodrillo seemed to like it just fine.
The WRSC hotel is very simple, it's clean, convenient and cozy. My only gripe is that there are no fridges in the room, but the restaurant will hold your drinks/etc in their fridge for you.
Also, the board selection could be a little bit better in terms of variety.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo