I've been to WRSC 3 times over the last several years, so I'm obviously a fan of the place. There are a lot of really good things about it - inexpensive, located right on the beach, clean rooms (while basic, the pillows aren't as bad as HawaiianStyle808 would have you believe), friendly staff, decent food, and while I didn't learn to surf there, everyone that I've met who did had a good experience.
Where I think they could dial it in more is with the surfing programs. They're definitely moving in the right direction with the recent addition of the intermediate group (it used to be just surf lessons and advanced tours). But I think there's room for a level in between intermediate and advanced. I don't want to generalize, but most of the people in the advanced level that I've met are experienced surfers in their 30's, 40's and 50's who want to get out there twice a day, but don't really want to charge the heavy, overhead stuff (and my guess is the guys who really want to go big probably aren't coming to WRSC). But currently, the advanced level seems to go for the biggest waves available, leaving a lot of us sitting on the shoulder of the wave, on the beach, or in the boat. So I think they should add a high advanced and a low advanced - they were running two boats for advanced when I was there anyway. I think they (Ok, you, since I know you guys at WRSC are reading this) would find that there's a lot of clients who'd really go for it. And for me, it would take the place from really good to really great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Witch's Rock Surf Camp is a small beach front hotel in Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We have 18-rooms on the beach directly in front of the best surfing waves in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We are located 45 minutes away from Liberia (LIR) Airport. We cater to surfers and anyone that wants to learn how to surf in Costa Rica. Come and join us for the surfing vacation of your life. Call Now! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Witch`s Rock Surf Camp Hotel Tamarindo
- Witchs Rock Surf Camp Tamarindo
- Witchs Rock Surf Camp Hotel