“Perfect for Beginners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had never surfed before, so I can't tell you how this compares to any place else, but everything from the location, instructors, waves, sandy beaches, restaurant, staff, everything was great for me. They're really set up for solo travelers and beginning surfers -- the instructors are very helpful and patient and you're going to meet plenty of great people while you're there.

Their hotel was full during my trip, but they booked me in their sister property just down the street which I really liked (and it was better in some ways than WRSC, so if they offer this to you, it was great and there's nothing to worry about). Everyone who did stay at WRSC said good things about the rooms (simple, basic rooms, but very good for what you're there for).

The people at WRSC really took care of all of us and were helpful in booking trips off the property too.

If you want an active vacation, I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe F

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have been to CR once before, kind of hard core, and this this time traveled with my son. I am 59 and he is 32 and we both have some experience surfing. This trip all I wanted to do was find waves and maybe hit a few different breaks, and share the experience with my son. For us it was great. WRSC took us up to 2 different spots each day and we managed to find overhead conditions each day. Far from what we are used to here in the Northeast USA, but that's why we came. Every camper I met, from absolute beginner to surf rat was pretty happy. Staff was great for me. If you are looking for 'four star' amenities or artistic menu's - go somewhere else. If you want to surf, chill, surf, chill, repeat..this is the joint. (now if they could provide off-shores everyday, that would be better)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I'm just getting around to writing this review a year later!

My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Costa Rica last August. Spent a few days in the rainforest in Arenal and then a few days in Tamarindo and one last night farther up Guanacoste (sp?).

When we got to Tamarindo, we instantly liked it. Laid back, active, friendly. Our hotel was lovely. Can't even remember the name - up the hill just a bit with an Asian theme. It was perfectly fine, but then we visited Witch's Rock (a friend told us about it after we had booked and paid for our other hotel).

This is our kind of place. We changed our return flight home and stayed 2 more days just to sty there. I've never done that before.

If you like the kind of beach vacay where everything is covered in sand and sea salt and you don't have to worry about what you're wearing and just enjoy it, this is the place for you.

We had a room #1. ON THE BEACH. It was spacious and had cool vintage surboards for decor. The shower drain was slow, and the screen door would slam back on your fingers if you weren't careful, but that was our only complaint.

Wake up to a big picture window to check out the waves. Get a big, hearty, fresh eggs and bacon breakfast (included) and grab a surfboard and go out to the water. Come in, take a swim in the pool. Grab lunch. Go back out. Come back in, have a beer while watching the late day surfers, take a shower, walk through town. This was our "routine" and we loved it.

Surf instructors were great. Rooms were delightful. Breakfast was awesome. Price was amazing.

I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else on the beach in Costa Rica. (but we also didn't care for the uptight feel at a very posh place we stayed another night, so it just depends on your taste.)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shelli247
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our plan was to spend 2 days here then travel to playa grande, or some other nearby beach for our week vacation. I emailed the day before arriving and confirmed the reservation and pickup, all was a go. We get to the hotel and the person at reception appologized but they had overbooked and we were to stay at a sister property. They said they would credit back 1/3 of the "package" we bought for the 2 days and we were still scheduled for our lesson and trip (fiance beginner, i went for the advanced package). The credit back was at the bar/ restaurant, which i thought strange, We were tired from the trip so we went with it. When arriving at the new hotel, we were shocked that they substituted the beachfront, gorgeous wrsc, with this place. First, the reception was once a bar, but boxes and junk were piled up on all the tables, next the place was empty.... Not a person in sight excluding the grumpy owner/ receptionist. The place was clean, and had a great view, but it was 10 mins/1km from the beach down a sketchy poorly lit dirt road. Not what we bargined for. I emailed wrsc that i was disapointed with the subsitute and we wanted a refund and we would fend for ourselves to find another place.They said the refund would take a month to go back onto our cc! They continued that to make up for it, if we stayed at the substitute hotel for 2 nights, they would give us our 2 nights subsequently at wrsc. Basiclly they would pay for our 1st 2 nights, then make good on the 2 original nights we booked. We agreed, albeit it screwed up our plans to go to another town. The surf trips were amazing, and David our guide needs his own tv show. I would end this with a wrsc, "you made good" and when we finally stayed at the wrsc complex, the place and the atmosphere is a "5", but the day before we left i ran into someone who had just arrived, and, like us was told they were overbooked and had to stay at a "sister property".

So, basically, i would like to give this place a 4 or 5 star, but travelers need to understand the risk that they might not stay at the main property. I hope they get this resolved as i would love to go back someday.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Spent a week here surfing with a friend of mine that had perviously had no surfing experience. The instruction he received from Paco was excellent and was soon surfing with me.

The camp itself is on the edge of town. Tamarindo is a pretty small town. But you're not going there for the night life, you go for the waves, the people, and the nachos as big as your a$$. The accommodations are not bad at all. Clean rooms, hot water for showers, and even a rack in your room for a board. Having a nice pool to relax in after a morning of surfing was a big hit. I stayed in room #7, which had an awesome view of the water.

This surf camp is by far the coolest and chill place I've ever stayed. The staff is awesome and very accommodating. Although I didn't have my kids with me on this trip, I'm planning on returning with them next year. Totally family friendly. If you're looking for a perfect surfing get a way where you can wear board shorts or a bikini 24/7, then this is the place.

Pura Vida.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It's obvious that the management does a great job running this outfit.

The only think that keeps me from making this an excellent rating is the professionalism of some of the instructors. Some - but not all - of the instructors were amazing teachers and dedicated to the advancement of the skills of students.

In the surf shop, Sofia was especially amazing with making recommendations and going the extra mile to help customers.

Go here, stay on their property and eat their food. I don't think there is a better overall package available.

Room Tip: This isn't the Four Seasons, but they don't claim to be. Rooms are clean and functional.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank derekd783
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My son, Alex, and I just spent 6 days learning to surf at WRSC. This was a father/son trip to celebrate his HS graduation. We went in as complete greenhorns. Beyond weak attempts at body surfing, we had never surfed before visiting this great spot.

We had the same teacher (thanks Andreas) the entire time, but also got to know some of the other teachers as well: Percy, Paco, Kai and our 'go to guy' for advice on boards, Maxi!!! I was amazed how much progress we made. By the end of the week, we were surfing 6 foot swells on Playa Grande which I would have thought would have taken months of practice to achieve. The teaching method taught here combined with the perfect beginner waves in front of the hotel, gives one a confidence to move forward and advance quickly. Hats off to the crew and especially to Kai for managing the whole process.

The people at the front desk were also great to deal with. My son and I also did a zip line and ATV tour and arranged it all at the front desk - flawless execution. Thank you to Rachel, Pura Pura, Elizabeth et. al.

The overall vibe is kind of Goa, India meets the Beach Boys. Very laid back - not fancy at all, but very clean and great air conditioning and comfortable beds. Remember this isn't Club Med, this is a place to learn to surf. I could tell some of the other places on the beach were there for luxury and if you wanted to learn to surf, they would provide that as well. WRSC is about the surfing foremost. If you're looking for rooms with jet tubs, king size beds and flat screens, this is not your place. That's one of the reasons we chose it.

Finally, to top off everything, you get video critique of your surfing and a graduation party for beginners at the end - totally cool!

We met other guests from all over, all ages and all surfing abilities. Everyone checked their egos at the door - no posers, no looking down noses.

Hopefully, I'll be back with my 15 year old when he graduates high school as well. Thanks again WRSC staff - you made a great adventure for us!

Room Tip: Go the extra coin for the balcony rooms, they are in the back of the hotel on the beach and worth wh...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family