“Pura Vida!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Milano
“Pura Vida!”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I've been there just for 5 night but i had amazing time!
i was 22, people had a couple year more
surf every morning in tamarindo bay alone, with other people and with an istructor
i was a beginner, advanced surfer also went to other beaches near tamarindo

in the afternoon surf or excursions (canopy), walk, etc.
in the evening there was the surf seminary and dinner

almost everybody were from USA and Canada, i was from italy and at first i had difficulties in comunicating cause my bad english Vs their slang but after a couple days i had a lots of friend

staff pleasent and helpful,
nice shop inside

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Columbia SC
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The surf instructor's and the rooms were great! My finance and I had a great time. My only complaint was Joe's. The food wasn't that good, better and cheaper food in the area. The wait staff was horrible. I know we are in Costa Rica and people take their time but they were real shady. They wouldn't sell me something because I was tourist. I witnessed a local buy something and they told me there we out (I could see the product behind the bar). The also lied about tips being included. So overall the place was great and waves were too. Just don't give a cent to Joe's. You can find better places. PS they tried to charge me for my free breakfast a couple of time as well.

1 Thank Brent P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is going to be short and sweet!

Whether you are traveling alone, with a bf/gf, with a big group of friends or with your family, WRSC is literally worth your stay!

1. Service is great: no hassle.. at all! They will not give excuses, they will fix any situations asap, why? Because they truly care for their surfer clients! (All I can say is: Shawna!)

2. Rooms are locally hip and clean (can be affordable for a small room or pay extra for a super sweet suite with a crazy view)

3. Restaurant: Don't complain! It's good, affordable and big size of plates. Like everyone says, try their NACHOS!
ps: everything on their breakfast menu is super yummy :)

4. Surfing for the 1st time? Don't worry! The instructors are really good at what they do! They will have EVERYONE get up on their boards on their 1 week of stay. Trust me! Also, you will leave that place with a surf addiction!

5. The camp and the town: Social and very friendly. I've been to WRSC twice, once with my ex bf and the second time on my own. Let me tell you how easy, relaxing and happy a foreign (us) can get, once you open yourself to the locals and the travellers.

In conclusion, If you are looking to have fun, to surf, to relax or to be wild - Tamarindo and WRSC is the place to visit!

Room Tip: If you have money to splurge: take the suite rooms upstairs (great view, big and spacious, BIG patio...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Agy2001
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have to say the single one thing that ruined my stay at Witches Rock Surf Camp was the constant sound of bad eighties rock 'n' roll looping throughout this place day and night.
I honestly do not understand why a place like this would choose such constant terrible music and in Costa Rica.
At first it was the novelty, "oh remember that song", only after one day of this do you realize it is constant and looped...terrible, terrible, terrible idea.
I found myself (and others I was with) to become irritated whenever we were around the place.
I asked several times to the bar staff to turn the music down or off or better how about a little diverse music selection like Salsa or Meringue....no deal...they were afraid to turn it down...the owners want the music to play constantly...Holly...WHY?????
There is no place to lounge at Witches Rock, meaning aside from the bar/restaurant there is nowhere to sit in a lounge chair and relax or a communal lounge of some type for tranquility.
The beach was so windy that it was painful to stay on it because of the sand whipping around. The fierce wind continued for days, it seems normal there.
The only other place to lounge is your room.
This place needs some kind of relaxing zone away from the beach and the bad eighties rock 'n' roll.
The wooden tables and stools at the bar/restaurant area seemed dirty and public worn...like too much sunscreen has worn off over years...greasy. They need to steam clean this furniture.
I appreciated the three things at Wiches Rock:
A few of the instructors: Percy in particular was very good and Tapon who played around on his surfboard most of the lesson but, the days he was my instructor I had surfing breakthroughs.
The housekeepers (not sure if the sheets were changed at all during my week long stay but, they sweep up all the sand and make your beds. (the same sunscreen stain on my bed sheet remained there for at least 3 days.)
The front desk staff always has the toughest job. They were always nice, especially Alonzo and the French woman.
I would not stay here again and I would not recommend staying here, for the amount of money you pay and what you get...go surf in Ecuador!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bougain V
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We just got back for a week long surf/hotel package at Witch's Rock, what a fantastic experience! The owners literally built the place over the years, and the camp just seems to attract great people and good vibes.

Our room was basic, but clean and air-conditioned and we spent very little time in the room anyway. The free wifi was a definite bonus!

Surf school was a highlight of the trip, each instructor has no more than 3 students and it was a great way to meet people as the whole group would usually end up at Eat at Joe's with a table of Imperials! The food there was amazing, our package included breakfast every morning and everything was super fresh and tasty.

We met an incredible group of people at WRSC, and are already hoping for a reunion trip next year!

Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2012

If you are looking for a chill vacation where you can meet some great people, eat some great food, relax, enjoy the sun and learn to surf, then WRSC is for you!

The Surfing

We started as complete beginners and at the end of a week of lessons we were up and catching our own waves. From speaking to more experienced surfers the break outside of WRSC was a great place to learn, providing easier waves than other places they had seen. The camp offers not only lessons, but daily seminars where you are taught about surf etiquette, proper paddling and how waves work. They even take videos during the lessons so that you can see what you look like surfing and learn what you can do to improve. The seminars are completely optional, but they are pretty laid back and helped us enjoy our time on the water. Go surfing just before sunset if you can, it is beautiful!

The Hotel

The rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed in one of the Courtyard Rooms, it had a/c, a safe in the room, private bathroom and a view of the ocean. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, responding to emails quickly when we were booking the trip and answering all of our questions during our stay. The airport pick up and drop off really made things easy.

The Restaurant

Eat at Joe's is great. It is a great chill place to hangout between surfing and have a beer (try the Witch's Rock Pale Ale when you can, it's really good but unfortunately they often run out) Breakfast was included in the surf package. We would recommend the classic pinto, waffles or scrambler... yum! Their sushi is delicious and the nachos are the best we have ever eaten (get the half order to split between two people). They also have live music almost every night.

Misc

Sign up to go on the rodeo, it's an experience you aren't going to get at home.

1 Thank Brad_and_Cathy
Essex County, NJ
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Stayed here for a few days in February. Having been to Tamarindo several times and staying at a more "resort-style" hotel, I decided to try the much-talked about WRSC. Everything was exactly as promised: great location, good waves, and good eats. The room was fine - very basic but clean with the beach just steps away. The instructors were good and they seemed to care about your progress. I would suggest asking for a different instructor each day, as each has a different method and style. Our first instructor was very helpful, but a bit intense for us. Our next instructor was just right - hands-on instruction with a great mellow vibe.

All-in-all, WRSC is a good place to put down your bags for a few days. You will slow down, relax, and take it easy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family