“Great Stay, Great People”
Review of La Palapa

La Palapa
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at La Palapa for almost a week and I would have loved to stay more. The room was awesome. the lofted bed area and soft mattress makes it feel deluxe. It is right on the beach so i could walk right out of my room and be in the ocean in 2 minutes.
All of the food i ate there was delicious and I was always satisfied with the breakfast that came included. I always went with the tico choice of eggs, tortilla, queso fresco, plantains, fruit, juice and coffee.
Great sunsets everynight and you are close to everything that you need.
Most importantly all the staff were amazing. Logan and Helena were the managers and were super nice and accommodating. I had an unfortunate incident of losing my room and safe keys and everyone was so nice and understanding and got everything taken care so quickly and with positive attitudes.
i also ended up extending my stay and also had to stay longer on my last day because of a delay with my bus. With this and everything else, they were so helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very reasonable rates during low season for being right on the beach. Perfect location for shopping, dining, and beach activities. The manager was most accommodating and made
every effort to meet our requests. Extemely nice help. Great service. Clean and comfortable.
Thank you Elena, Nick and Dennis.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2013

As others here have said, it is not the Ritz and is not intended to be. It was a nice, clean room, right on the beach. You can't beat it. The restaurant is outdoors, right outside your door and is the only thing that separates your room from the beach. You can roll out of bed and walk 20 yards to a good breakfast with your toes in the sand, then walk 20 more yards and be in the ocean. Absolutely great spot.

The food is great as well. Nick, the restaurant manager was very friendly and accomodating, as were all the staff. We stayed 5 days from 5/3 to 5/8.

The only 2 negatives, and I'm nitpicking, are no pool - you're right on the ocean - and the rocks on the beach. You do have to be careful when swimming. That being said, great place and I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1. It is spacious with good air conditioning. We had no noise issues at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Older property with great staff. Ac hot water soft beds. Perfect location. Great price. Great food. But old Tico style. I would return if looking for get away but far from luxury. Food was perfect and Nick at bar was great help.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We returned yesterday from a week at La Palapa. Having never been to CR before I did a lot of research which left me a bit confused. Overall the ratings were good for La Palapa although some posters had some security issues. And its always the negative reviews that we remember the best. Anyway, during our stay in CR we felt completely safe at all times. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Denny, who turned out to be a wonderful host throughout the week. He speaks great english and is very accommodating. We walked thru the main building into the courtyard area and took a immediate right turn. And Denny, said "here is your room". Wow, it was right there, just off to the side of the courtyard/dining area, which is very nicely shaded. I didnt see any other rooms around ours at all, they sit back further than ours, but still nice. There are two big trees that make up the support for the palm, awning that covered a small tile porch. Two chairs and a small coffee table are on the porch for relaxing just out our room. Which was nice but with our room in the heart of everything there were more tables/chairs scattered around for relaxing. And the best part is the ocean is just a short distance away. Everything was right there, it was a perfect setup. A sliding glass door is the main door to enter the room. The door is a large, divided door with the other half of the door also glass. Serving as a great 7-8' picture window for a fantastic view of the palm trees and ocean. Upon entering the room I immediately noticed two individual, twin sized beds and a loft above the beds with another queen size bed. The size of the room is plenty big for two people, even though it sleeps four it could be cramped with four people if everyone was trying to dress at once. But who does any sitting around the room anyway. One wall was all closet area with shelving with alot of storage space. A good sized refrigerator and a wall safe are added benefits. Although if someone wanted to get the safe off it could be done. But with todays modern tools, nothing is safe anywhere. The lighting in the room is sparse, and the bathrooms lighting isnt much better but good enough. The shower was large and the water was super hot and hard to regulate. The best is to turn on the cold and slowly add hot. The room comes with a wall mounted tv, not a flat screen, but who cares about tv. The air conditioner worked good and the ceiling fan is also nice to have. Overall the room could use a some attention for a fussy traveler. But we had no issues and felt it to be very unique and fit our needs.

Daily breakfast is a bonus, its a $10 item on the menu, saving a couple $20 if they choose to eat there daily. There are cheaper items on the menu, with the breakfast they offer being the most expensive. One is started off by coffee, orange juice, followed by a plate of fresh fruit. Normally, a pineapple ring with mangos, pineapple pieces, watermelon, and cantaloupe. Then the main course will differ depending on your order. Usually, eggs, sausage, pancake, toast, and cereal.

We ate supper the on our first night. I had the red snapper and my wife had lobster. We were both surprised on the amount of food we were given. I was given two red snappers and a plate full of other items that I cant remember now. But I do remember being over-stuffed. The lobster there isnt like a Maine lobster, but a decent size for the price, plus all of the extras on the plate make for great meal.

Denny arranged for us to spend a couple of nights at Aernal and a tour we did while there. One thing he offered to do blew me away. He offered for us not to have to pay for our room for the two nights we would be staying in Forutna. Unfortunately, we booked our room thru priceline.com, not La Palapa directly. We couldnt change our reservation thru priceline since we were already there, which is understandable. Next time I will book directly with them. Getting to another point. When we checked in, we were given the option to pay cash for our visit or credit. Cash meant we would save the 13% tax that must be charged to our credit card. Or he said they could split it up, meaning pay some nights cash and others credit card. Obviously, they like cash, and who doesnt. We ended up paying 5 nights cash, two credit. I told him we would see how much cash we had at the end of the week. I'm not a ATM guy, but at the end of the week we paid cash for 5 nights,and cc 2 nights. The savings is about $12/night cash. On seven nights, that would be like getting one night free.

A few tips for anyone staying there. The ocean is close and the waves can be big at times. When you first arrive and want to swin, be sure you SEE rocks in front of the hotel. If you dont see any rocks, dont swin there. The tide comes in and out several hundred feet daily. At high tide the rocks are covered, at low tide they are visible. The best bet is to turn right and walk down the awesome beach for a few minutes and watch where others are swimming. The ocean there is the warmest water I have swam in anywhere. The water is also very shallow for a long ways out making it good for children. But supervision is a must, big waves are never too far away. They show up every few minutes at high and low tide. Being the water is so shallow there, the big waves make it a fun place to swim, surf and boogie board. A turn to the left and a 5 minute walk will take you into even shallower water without a rock in sight. Its not uncommon to see 1000' of sand before the water during low tide to the left of the hotel, the elevation it that flat.

For the price, service, and location, I couldnt have been happier in a place that costs several hundred dollars/night. With the ocean right there and the uniqueness of our room the I would certainly do it again. And highly recommend it to anyone who doesnt think they have to stay at a place fit for royality. For the average traveler, which I saw a lot of in CR, it will fit the needs.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Reap
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is seriously a little gem! Understand its slightly outdated and not Americanized at all. It is very clean, the breakfast is great and it feels like its private hotel when you are there. If you are looking for nice beach front lodging with an amazing location you've found it. I stayed in room 1 for 3 nights and had reservations with the Hilton Papagayo, checked out of the Hilton Papagayo after 1 night and returned to the La Palapa room 5 for 2 nights. Both rooms were clean and functional and were in good condition, just slightly outdated. It's a cabin/beach bungalow type feel, with very good A/C. Prime location! Wake up, walk out for breakfast in your board shorts take a swim, catch a surf, everything is in walking distance. The canopy of trees is amazing maybe 30 yards wide by 50 long and there is the beach, you could live out of your room all day enjoying the activities restaurants and shops and just stop back at the room whenever. I also stayed at the Diria in Tamarindo, the Hilton Papagayo. I stay in Hotels 150 + nights a year and each has their expectations. While we were there the hotel had a few shady Gringos leave without paying, not cool and probably explains the review below.

Room Tip: Room 1 is spacious and has a king bed and is only 1 floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has a great location in the center of the action of town toward the back and right on the beach on the front. I would describe it as a small boutique hotel with some of the friendliest staff we ran into in Costa Rica. We did feel comfortable with overnight security checking our car and in general keeping riff raff out. The problem is the rooms: bad lighting, short celings, a ladder to get up to the second bed on the second floor and in general small hostel type rooms. In my room the air conditioning was on the second level so the person staying in that area froze while the person below was sweeting. All this being said, if you only sleep in your room you will be ok, and enjoy the location and people. Breakfast was quite good.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a different room, I should have.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends