“Paradise Found”

Reviewed February 12, 2007

Los Alto's De' Eros- Near Tamarindo Costa Rica
January 27th, 2007
Reviewer: Michael and Kris Ernest
My wife and I are frequent travelers and have experienced some of the best. Los Eltos is one of the best. I would prefer not to offer a candid opinion of our experiences here. The reason is I prefer to keep it our little secret. This, however, would not be fair to Calvin, Jacqueline, Ari and the entire staff. The location, accommodations and hospitality were a solid ten plus. The facts are: Everything about it is unique. To sum things up! The whole operation should become a graduate school for World Hospitality. No "Pomp and Fair " just perfection of the basics. I wish I felt this comfortable with my family. Four Seasons could learn a lot from them. My wish is for nobody else to go there. We could just keep it for ourselves. Just Kidding! Wow!

Stayed January 2007
7 Thank rewardzone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Cary, NC
Reviewed February 9, 2007

We had the pleasure of staying at Los Altos for 10 days in November for our honeymoon. First off, Costa Rica is a jewel of a country and provides a good contrast of priorities for people like us who live in the suburbs of the eastern US. In Costa Rica, the environment, education, and health care are emphasized (not the military, and definitely not the roads!). In addition, the culture has not yet been whitewashed by the corporate monolith of culture that has taken hold here in the states (this reality stuck out once we were back in the states at the Miami airport food court searching out a bite to eat). Costa Ricans are incredibly warm, open, friendly people. Hospitality is inculcated and the owners of Los Altos have utilized this wonderful trait by hiring a staff of 25 Costa Ricans who in 10 days we got to know better than some of our neighbors in 4 months (despite speaking different languages!).

The hotel sits on top of a mountain in the jungle overlooking the pacific ocean. The architecture of the place uses this to great effect. Everything is set up to let the natural beauty invade (including some interesting critters, but never fear, the guard-puppy Osso is always on alert). We were able to relax morning, noon, and night in various parts of the hotel, from the dining table, to the recliners around the pool, to the spa. Ah, the spa. We're not really sure if anything of the stuff they do down there has any measurable therapeutic value, but all we can say is it was darn relaxing...

One of the major criticisms levied on TripAdvisor has been the lack of privacy and a sense of forced community. Since we stayed for an extended period of time, we saw a lot of folks come through. Sure, some of them were a little annoying, but truth be told, it was wonderful to get to know some nice folks who you wouldn't have ever come in contact with. We now have several more friends from all around the US...how can that be bad?

If you're the kind of people that need to be in control of every moment of your life (like, you even feel like you need minute-by-minute management of your vacation??) and aren't able to give up some of that for the possibility of the unknown being better than what you can plan, this isn't the place for you. However, if you want something a little different from the isolation we experience here in the states, and be pampered first-class like you were royalty, go to Los Altos.

Our favorite memory of the whole trip was not the beaches (which were awesome), not the food (scrumptious), not the spa...it was actually sitting in the backseat of one of the vans waiting to pick up another couple after dinner. To pass the five minute wait, we were conversing our driver and another staff member, comparing animal noises in the different languages (how do you say "cockadoodledoo" en Espanol?).

Jeff & Allison

• Liked — 100% Relaxation
  • Disliked — Having to read negative reviews on Trip Advisor
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank zafier
New York
Reviewed February 8, 2007

I have only fantastic things to say about Los Altos De Eros. My wife and I went there for 4 days as a part of our honeymoon and my only regret is that we did not stay longer.

The hotel's location is unbelievable. It is set with the most gorgeous view of the coast, but is slightly set back in the hillside, giving you the right amount of seclusion/privacy. The pool and poolside were both marvelous (a really elegant infiniti style pool).

The service was the best I have experienced. Not a moment went by that the staff was not catering to our every need. They offered cocktails, drinks, snacks, whenever we wanted. They arranged shuttles to any location we wanted and guides to any location on a moments notice.

The food at this hotel was the best that we had in costa rica (and there is great food in costa rica). Additionally, the owners catered to our exact dietary needs (vegetarians), and provided a really diverse choice of meal type. They made fruit smoothies, eggs, pastries, fresh coffee, every morning for breakfast. And great fish, chicken, and salad every day for lunch. Twice a week they offered great dinners which we thought were amazingly done.

They have a great spa 60 feet away that provides for all your spa needs. I dont usually go for spa treatments, but they offer some great packages for people staying at the hotes so I went for it--massage, facial, hand foot care, volcanic wrap etc. and really enjoyed them. My wife and I also had a couple's massage at sunset and they offer champagne and strawberries with this. It was quite romantic and I earned enormous points with my wife.

Wildlife is nearbye and we were able to see monkeys, tons of birds, and the like. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Enjoy, Mitch W , New York

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — There was nothing wrong with this place.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mitchwbg
SF Bay Area
Reviewed February 4, 2007

I was so fortunate to go for a most incredible spa day at this gorgeous spot. The attention to detail is truly impressive: the decor, the landscaping, the views, and the food. Everywhere I looked my eyes landed on beauty. The spa treatments are the most pampering and nurturing. Having a 1 1/2 hour massage on a private deck overlooking the Pacific, with gentle breezes was truly memorable. I did not stay overnight at the inn but I hope I will be able to on future visits to this area. Owners Calvin & Jacqueline really know how to make their guests feel taken care of. One more thing, the location, about 15 minutes outside of Tamarindo, is quiet and much cooler than being at sea level.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank grannyD
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Rarely do expectations meet reality, but in this case Los Altos de Eros not only meets them but exceeds them. My wife and I were looking for a battery recharge and pampering location and wow is this it. Even if you don't take advantage of the spa and yoga facilties(which would be a mistake) this is a world class spot in which to recover from the slings and arrows of everyday life. I won't repeat what others have said about the fantastic view, the spa facility with open air views down to the Pacific, the luxury, etc. All of it is true. However, certain items deserve to be highlighted. The staff is fantastic - they handle every need without being obtrusive or obsequious. The food, served family style, is outstanding, featuring local specialities. The owners are not only gracious but also extremely helpful in arranging dinner reservations, activities (if desired), picking something up for you if they happen to be going to town or just leaving you alone if that's what you want. I can't imagine what else you'd need in a vacation spot. we've made our reservations for next year.

• Liked — Beautiful and relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank dang213
New york
Reviewed January 25, 2007

Where should I start? My name is Christine and I am a travel agent. I travel often because of my job, so I have stayed at some of the best hotels. Los Altos is amazing, different, unique relaxing and such a special place.

The staff at Los Altos is the best. You don't have to think about anything, they will take care of it all. I booked a snorkel trip and I was thinking I should have packed a little bag for a change of clothes and stuff. Right before I was ready to leave the hotel I was handed a bag filled with towels and water for our trip. How awesome was that!!!!!! I can't even put in to words how wonderful the staff is. You have to experience it for yourself.

The food at the hotel was better then I could have ever expected. We had lunch in the spa {jumbo shrimp, pasta salad, fish, tomato mozz salad smoothies and to end it all chocolate cake} We had dinner at Los Altos 1 night WOW!!!! just as good as any 5 star restaurant. The dining experience is great. It is different then typical hotel dining. You dine with the other guests that are staying there. Unless you are an unsocial person you will love it...... This is part of what makes Los Altos so special. If you don't like to talk to other people maybe you shouldn't come out of your house......

Going in to town for dinner is an experience. The roads aren't great but after a few times it's really not that big of a deal. The food in town is great. Ask the staff they will give you ideas of where to go.

Jackie and Calvin are so wonderful and friendly. They will make sure that you have an amazing time. I think everyone needs to experience Los Altos for themselves. Guaranteed you will love it, just like I did. You can't have a bad time. You are in paradise. what's to complain about???

One last thing the spa is the is phenomenal. Defiantly do a spa day you will not regret it....

unforgettable

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NewyorkBella5
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 24, 2007

My new husband and I had our honeymoon from December 7-15th and what can we say...this place is fantastic. The owners are quite the couple, the staff is fun, wonderful, and awesome, and the spa was breath taking.
We arrived there late at night and met some couples that were sitting out at the dining table playing dice and we joined in and had a grand time.
Some say Tamarindo is a dangerous place, but we ended up going out to a dance club and stayed out until 2-3am in the morning and had no problems.
Jackie and Calvin are such a darling couple and you really feel the love for the country exuding from them. They are funny, lively, and accomodating in every possible way.
Wilfredo, Leo, Ari, Nadia, and the rest of the staff were just fantastic!
The hotel is always stocked with drinks, water, service, and smiles. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Next time we come, we are bringing our family so that they can see how beautiful this paradise truly is...they are all excited needless to say!

Stayed December 2006