“Outraged by the Negative Review!!”
Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed January 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Los Altos for our honeymoon in November. We didn't feel we could possibly add to the wonderful comments everyone has left that based our decision, but after reading the only bad review, felt it essential to defend the place we think of everyday.

I think our review will also be helpful because we stayed in another "top-rated B& B" listed on this site. There was NO comparison to the service (I wish we could have brought Ari home with us) the beauty of the area, the beaches, or the attention to detail and unrelenting desire for our stay to be the most memorable vacation of our lives. Even when the power went out due to some late rain (thanks global warming!) we were in awe. Not only was the thunder storm and candelight breathtaking, but Jackie and Calvin made sure we were entertained as we played poker with coffee beans only soon to find out we were playing with Pinochle cards!!

Also to address some of the claims of the [--], we have to say we found every opportunity for alone time when we needed it (try the sunset massage, romantic dinner for two, and discover and roam the amazing beaches of Playa Conchal, Brasilito, and Avellanas.) No Tamarindo wasn't a great city to be in, but the owners fully disclosed this to us and recommended we experience the "real Costa Rica" and accomodated all our wishes, for example: when we couldn't find a rental car or taxi to our next destination, Ari spent hours on the phone finding us the best deal possible; when we read an article in a local magazine about the destruction of local habitats, staff helped us find tours on eco preservation and education; when I broke my sunglasses Francisco stopped at over 5 stores so I could buy new ones. But all these accounts of service are NOTHING to the undescribable beauty that captivates you the moment you walk in. If you worried about drapes, sheets, or feeling forced to eat at a community table (which is ridiculous, because we found ourselves eating by the pool many times to experience the magnificent sunsets) than you've lost the essence of why you came and why you'll never want to leave.
***feel free to email us on this or our other experiences in Costa Rica at layccn@yahoo.com

Lacey & Erik McDonald

P.S. Thanks Calvin & Jackie, everytime I listen to the Corinne Bailey Rae cd I first heard at Los Altos it takes me back to the magnificent honeymoon I had.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank snukepta

Reviewed January 21, 2007

We just got back from a week-long trip to Costa Rica, which blessedly included 3 nights at Los Altos de Eros. What a magnificent place! Staying there is like staying in someone's home (except that it's way nicer than the homes of any of my friends!). The setting is simply spectacular, and the hotel itself is warm, beautiful and inviting. The staff is so lovely, and they graciously tend to your every need. The meals they prepare for you are flawless. I could easily spend weeks there, simply lounging by that beautiful pool and enjoying sumptuous treatments in the spa. The nearby beaches (about 15-20 minutes by car) are perfect for walking, swimming, sunbathing and eating.

I cannot say enough about this place. It is perfection. We have already started planning our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank SFfoodlover
Reviewed January 21, 2007

A paradise setting for my birthday. A paradise...yes...but with a twist. Thsi review will be broken down in several parts. First a bit about us:
My fiancee is a Spa Manager, active, affluent, late 20's, vibrant personality, well educated, experienced traveler.
I am with mirrored characteristics, involved with resort management, but mid 30's.
We are well established in the cosmopolitan city of San Francisco, Ca which comforts our traditional/ liberal views.

The property and amenities:
The property rests within the Costa Rican hills providing a genuinely cerebral and natural environment. Gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. The natural elements are upclose and personable, often intermingling within the confides of the property. The property itself is new and tastefully exhibits a distinguished latin/ perhaps mediteranean influence. The rooms are quaint, with tranquil decor, fairly moderate fixtures. The infinity pool is the precursor to an endless image of serenity. First the beautiful green hills, integrating effortlessly with the blissful peace of the Pacific Ocean. From the pool, one must experience the tranquility of the intimate Tahitian influenced spa. Absolute Bliss. If the natural environments, tranquil design, and decor do not submit you to eternal peace....the service of their attentively detailed staff will. The property continues with separate venues designed for fitness and yoga. these sites provide similar natural characteristics as the spa. The ammenities included diligent service from staff, deliciously healthy cuisine served in an intimate communal setting, endless and attentive beverage service, complimentary communal shuttle service, clean surroundings, and much much more. Our finest moments were enjoyed utilizing the extrodinary satisfying spa services. My lovely fiancee is a Manager of a highly distinguished spa in San Francisco, Ca. To exceed her expectations in this particular area is unheard of. Upon completing our stay, and for weeks to come, she spread the word of here unbelievably satisfying experience with the spa services and staff to her most affluent clients.

With all that is good in this world, there is a considerable amount that is not so good (perhaps even bad/ or poor).

To be fair these notations must be made. The property does reside in a dry-jungle that has its own natural occupants. Repties, serpants, venomous insects, etc. The property and rooms in general are somewhat exposed to these elements which frequently kept my fiancee and I company. Some of which are rather dangerous and need to be addressed with caution. Fortunately, the staff is attentive, courteous, experienced and addressed every situation that arose. The real fruit of addressing this issue is that most individuals attempting to experience the level of tranquility that is targeted by the ownership, you don't want to be confronted by scorpions every few hours (especially in your bed). I will say once again, the staff holds a 5 star standard in terms of identifying, addressing, and accomodating their guests. A suggestion for ownership would be to remind or make aware of these potential matters to their guests on their website. As for the rooms, the beds were not luxurious (see Fairmont and top-level Starwood properties), but comfortable. The rooms are closely arranged to one another in an open court setting surrounding the pool area. I will say, for those who are accustomed to complete privacy while vacationing, you should understand that you will find yourself intermingling with the other guests regularly as a result of the property design (room locations, common areas, and dining/ activity arrangements, etc.). Honestly, I am one who expects options and alternatives to the basic ammenties of my vacation. I think to disregard the basic comfort needs of guests is contradictive and negligant to the purposeful interest of vacationing. These notations apply directly to the functions of dining and acitivities. They are designed in a communal setting. Now, to be fair, I do like the option of partaking in these activities, not forced into them. Fortunately, the staff again showed their distinct professionalism in finding alternative accomodations for these functions. The refreshing element to our scenerio was the absence of resistence or hesitation.

In conclusion, a paradise for most, but not for some. I do believe, especially reading the writings of guests and the owners of the resort, there is an element of miscommunication with maybe a hint of misrepresentation. By this, I am saying ownership should divulge more detailed information either by website or inquiry about services and accomodations. I believe by doing this, they will better serve their clients, meet their target demographic, and maintain integrity. I truly believe once you "leave the rat race for more serene pastures", you can't forget that your clients are doing the same. The difference is your clients will be going back . You, as owners, should undertand that your guests time there is limited and for purposes of relaxation. Not every person finds comfort with a constant communal environment. As for future travelers considering this property for staying, my advice is to do your due dilligence in extracting as much detailed information as possible about the property, services, and country of destination. If you do these things and still feel unsatisfied, speak up. If not, you might want to chalk this one up as perhaps one of those trips where you can laugh about the mishaps in 20 years and move on.

I can not say enough how impressed I was with the staff. Conversely, my opinion of ownership is different. Our arrival was welcoming. After undergoing 12 hours of travel time, we were instructed to partake in the communal dining. Time restrictions on the dinner arrangement gave us only an hour or so to get settled and rest before getting ushered to the setting. No alternatives. That set an uneasy tone which was followed by various encounters to the natural elements of Costa Rica inside our bed. Not a good start. I will say our free spirited and understanding ways enabled us to overcome these setbacks. I will say, the understanding and gratuitous manners displayed by the staff are ones which would greatly benefit the owners. As much as we loved our time together at this wonderful property, we left with a distint impression our business was not appreciated. For that reason we will not go back.

A NOTE TO THE OWNERSHIP: Please find our constructive critique beneficial towards future improvements of your business. There is no need to react with disparaging comments as you have with past reviews. To do so would display a lack or inability to adhere to your clients needs. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
39  Thank yostland98
Reviewed January 19, 2007

We visited Los Altos in the beginning of January. It was such an amazing find! The property's location away from the main area of Tamarindo is an added bonus. The property is kept in perfect condition. The owners, Jacqueline and Calvin, could not have done more for us. (except let us help clean up!!!) This was a great experience for us. I enjoyed having only 3 other couples share the property with us. The food was wonderful. The spa was to die for! Thank you for the opportunity to share your lovely slice of heaven with us. We especially enjoyed Bella and Oso. (they really stole the show in our hearts!) Also, thank you D & L, C & T for sharing the experience. We were fortunate to be with very wonderful couples who shared the same interests as us. Can't wait to visit again!!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

PS- The yoga was great...my first time and now I have joined a yoga class at home. Of course, the view won't be the same. Goodness, I miss the tranquility!

3  Thank Bonnie B
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We are afraid that the word will get out and we will not be able to get a reservation in the future.Los Altos de Eros is a gem and we cannot stop telling all our friends how wonderfull this place is. Calvin and Jaqueline are the most gracious hosts, the staff is attentive and friendly and everybody goes out of their way to please.We are sorry that we allowed only 3 nights at the end of our Tauck tour, but now we know better and we will return!
Robert and Tamara
Demarest, NJ

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank tkb1948
Reviewed January 16, 2007

My wife and I were at Los Altos de Eros from January 8th to January 14th. What can be said that hasn’t already been said? We loved this place. From the moment we were picked up at the airport until we were dropped off it has pure heaven.

After spending countless hours looking at the pictures on the website, nothing prepared us for the moment when the front door opens and you see that view for the first time. Stunning! LAdE is beautifully designed and constructed. As others have written, it’s like staying in the home of a wealthy friend. We walked in the door, were greeted by Calvin and Ari, shown our room and within 15 minutes we were sitting by the pool with wine and snacks. Heaven!

I can’t describe this place any better than others so I’ll just move on to the details:

Rooms:
Smallish but you’re not in them much. Bed is firm/hard but I never had a problem sleeping. The bathroom with the outdoor shower was wonderful. The shower has a quarter circle design and a wall approximately 6ft high, open to beautiful plants and trees and the amazing blue sky.

Pool:
Ahhhhh…the pool. The temperature is just cool enough to refresh you on a hot afternoon. The chairs are comfortable and there are plenty to go around in several locations.

The View:
The view…what a view. I never got tired of looking across the valley to the Pacific. And the sunsets are beautiful.

The Food:
Janine’s Kitchen:
Best meals we had were at the resort. From the lunch at the Spa to the group dinners on Tuesday and Saturday, the food was top notch. Do not skip any dessert! For in town dining, Jacqueline will not steer you wrong. Tabou and Pechanga were excellent.

The Spa:
My wife should write this part. I think she had EVERY treatment. Seriously. I think they were about to create a new treatment and name it after her. When you combine the setting, quality of the staff and the prices, this is the best spa we’ve ever been to. One day, one of the many monkeys that “swing by” the resort, stopped in the treatment room as she was having a massage. Maybe he smelled the coconut oil??? The Couples Sunset Massage and Romantic Dinner was one of the top 5 romantic evenings my wife and I have spent anywhere. Leonilda, thank you so much for everything!

The Staff:
The staff is the absolute best staff I have ever encountered anywhere I’ve been. Period. Calvin and Jacqueline have assembled a staff that is truly exceptional. From the drivers to the housekeepers, all first class. I do have to single out Ari, the GM. She is amazing and one of the warmest, friendliest people I’ve ever met. Ari, we’re sorry we didn’t get to say goodbye and we hope you enjoyed your trip to San Jose!

In General:
The concept of LAdE is different. It’s small. There were only 6-8 guests most of the time we were there. As such, interaction with other guests is inevitable. If that’s not what you’re looking for, this may not be for you. The group dinners, for us, were the highlights of the trip. Sitting around the outdoor table enjoying great food and good wine and getting to know the other guests was, for us, one of the reasons we chose LAdE. We met some wonderful people (hello T & C from Wales, M & C from Lancaster and C & O from Chicago!) and our stay was enhanced because of them. As Calvin told me, the dynamic changes each time a new guest arrives and another guest leaves.

How many times, upon leaving a hotel, have you hugged the staff, owners and other guests? That sums up our experience at Los Altos de Eros.

Oso, Bella, Calvin & Jacqueline, see you soon!

16  Thank DMChicago
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We had researched where to go on our honeymoon for months. I had been to numerous travel websites for places all over the world. My wife and I decided to take a chance and visit Costa Rica and we were floored by the amazing service we received while at the resort. The staff is like family. From the moment you arrive to the moment you head back to the airport you're completely pampered. Everyone in the staff, led by Ari, helped us with day trips, restaurant and all other recommendations. The resort is a total of five rooms so you get the feel of privacy within a small family like community.

I could go on all day about the food... it's absolutely amazing and super healthy. Breakfast was a mix of local culture, fruit, scrambled eggs and toast. But if you have special needs or restrictions the staff is more than happy to accommodate. Calvin and Jackie are the two sweetest people you'll ever meet within a resort. During meals we'd share stories of adventures and they provided us with fantastic restaurant recommendations. My wife and I are already planning our trip back as have never felt so relaxed. We spent 7 days and 6 nights at Los Altos de Eros and it felt like we had enjoyed a 3-week vacation. I would suggest staying from Tuesday through Sunday. This was absolutely one of my top 3 all time vacations... and I've been around South America, Europe and all over the U.S. Stay at Los Altos de Eros it'll be the best choice you make all year!!

Thanks again to the staff we had the most amazing time!!
Casandra & Tim - November 13th - 19th