“Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Paradise”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon in February 2012 and had an amazing time. The atmosphere is relaxed and intimate. The rooms and hotel grounds are beautiful as well as the sights. The hotel staff is beyond 5 star quality. They are able to cater to any of your needs. The staff brought us around the town whenever we needed and made sure we were all set. The other great thing is that you have your meals with the other people at the hotel. Which is great because you are able to meet and talk with other people. I would recommend this to any couple wanting to have a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Spring for the honeymoon suite if you can.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I whole-heartedly agree with the other reviews that have been posted about this proprty. We just got back from a week long aniversary trip and had a great time. The staff are really amazing and seem to genuinely enjoy working there and their enthusiasm rubs off on you. Rather than regurgitate the reviews that have already been made, I'll simply offer some tips for the first time visitor:

1. If you have the means, spring for the Eros Suite. It's only an extra $100 a night as compared to the King Suite and well worth it. We stayed in that room and loved every minute of it. Its a big room with a separate shower room, toliet room and sinks in the main room so that you and your spouse can comfortably be using the facilities at the same time without being on top of each other (the bathrooms in the other rooms are fairly standard hotel type bathrooms, albeit with outdoor showers). Its also a nice retreat if you want some private time as there is a couch inside and two lounge chairs on a private deck outside where you can hang out. You always have the option of going down to the main level and hanging out by the pool with the other guests if you want to socialize. Definitely the best of both worlds for a couple looking to enjoy some private time together but also looking to meet some new people. As an aside, we enjoyed all of the other guests we met on our trip and loved dining with them and some of our fondest memories (and best stories) are of the new friends we met on our trip.

2. You will encounter wildlife both at the resort and away from it. The resort is an open air concept so you will see geckos climbing the wall (they eat the bugs, so their presence is actually encouraged) and you will most likely encounter the resident iguana by the pool during the day while he is sunning himself. At night, frogs (toads?) congregate on the pool deck. In the early morning, you will hear howler monkeys making grunting and hooting noises from the nearby trees. We did not see any tarantulas but did see two very small scorpions, which are not poisonous and which the staff made fairly short work of once alerted to their presence. I really enjoyed all of the wildlife, as it was a huge novelty to see such animals, however, I know that some people have an issue with such creatures. Regardless, as I stare out the window at 6 inches of snow, I fondly recall that just a few days ago, I was feeding bananas to an iguana by the pool.

3. The road from the resort to pretty much anywhere you want to go is unpaved and bumpy. It will take you about 30 minutes to get to Playa Avellanas and around 20 minutes to Tamarindo. I suspect that those prone to car sickness may encounter some issues with that, as we did see a few gringos in passing tour buses with their heads hanging out the window (altough that could very well have been the result of too many mojitos, it's hard to say exactly). The only paved roads we encountered were on the outskirts of Tamarindo and on the way to the airport. We relied solely on LADE for transportation and am glad we did as I can't imagine trying to navigate these roads by myself. The roads are in pretty rough shape and not very well marked. I would recommend letting the resort take care of transportation for you (especially since you are paying for it anyway as part of your accomodations). This is especially nice if you want to go into town for dinner and/or drinks and not have to worry about driving after imbibing a few too many.

4. Being a bit of a foodie, we tried to sample many of the finer restaurants in Tamarindo. Being a surfer town, what is considered "high end" might not be what you would expect as compared to a decent sized city in North America. As such, while the meals we had in town were decent, the food we had at LADE was superior is pretty much all respects. They provide you with a menu in the morning when they make your room (they leave the laminated menu on your bed) so you can always make a game day decision about whether to eat at LADE or in town if the menu is not to your liking. However, I would recommend eating at LADE as much as possible if you like good food. Its only $40 a person and wine and beer are included. The new chef, Andrea, is amazing and a real joy to talk to. Her cooking class was great and includes dinner (you get to eat the fruits of your labour). Given that its $50 a person and dinner is included (a $40 value), its really only $10 a peron for the class, which is a bargain. Also, the sunset couples massage followed by the romantic dinner in the spa was a real highlight of the trip. They give you an hour long couples massage, followed by sparkling wine and strawberries in the hot tub overlooking the jungle and then a catered meal in the privacy of the spa area with a nice bottle of wine (i.e. a step up from the house wine which is available every day). All of this for less than you would pay for a nice meal at a gourmet restaurant in North America. Amazing!

5. Try and book your activities through LADE. They have great connections with the local businesses that provide these activities and they seem to really cater to you as a LADE guest (likely to keep up the lucrative referral network - which really works in your favour). As a bonus, they will even pay for it and add it to your room bill, avoiding the need to carry lots of cash with you (since credit cards are not always accepted). We did the ziplining with Pura Aventura and had a great time with them. Their regular surf instructor was unavailable but they set us up with a replacement for surf lessons at Matos Surf Shop (Juan) who was amazing.

6. The spa services are really good and at half price for guests, a real bargain. My wife got a mud wrap, a facial and a pedicure and seemed happy with all three. We both got the couples massage, which was great. We ended up making more use of the gym that we imagined given that we had a bit of rain on the trip and also had a tremendous amount of time on our hands as we seemed to be unable to sleep in past 6 am (internal clock as a result of young kids). The open air gym is pretty basic (treadmill, eliptical and a bench complete with two sets of dumbells). It was enough to get in a decent work out and help build an appetite for all the wonderful food you'll be consuming. One of our highlights was getting in a good workout and getting very sweaty working out in all of the humidity and then diving straight into the pool in our workout gear to cool off. I also have a fond memory of Andrea bringing me a coconut to drink from to rehydrate while I was in the middle of a workout. Amazing service to say the least.

7. Don't be fooled by the weather forecast. We went in October during the rainy season (green season, according to the CR marketing folks). We were a bit freaked out when all of the weather forecasts we saw online were calling for rain every day (and not just rain, but torrential rain). We even considered postponing the trip or cutting it short and going somewhere else to chase the sun. We're glad we didn't. We got sporadic rain over the course of our trip but also got a significant amount of sun. There was only one day when it rained the entire day long and the staff made a real effort to keep us entertained, offering free cooking classes and facials and making fun blender drinks. On the few other instances when it did rain, we simply stayed on our covered deck and read, knowing that when the sun did come out, we'd have more than enough time to catch some rays. I never would have guessed that I'd come home with a sunburn, but that's exactly what happened.

Pura Vida
Pete

Room Tip: The suite is probably three times the size of the other rooms at a price that is well less than thre...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pyates123
Tatiana C, General Manager at Los Altos de Eros, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
"Thank you both for your kind words and for staying at Los Altos de Eros Boutique Hotel and Spa. We constantly evaluate the tours, activities, and restaurants that we offer the guests. We do not make any profit from the tours and other activities we suggest for our guests; but we do DEMAND our guests get preferential treatment and outstanding service."
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Where do I even begin!? Los Altos de Eros is beyond incredible. My husband and I took a trip to Costa Rica for our anniversary and this place exceeded expectations. The staff alone deserves their own standing ovation, they are amazing, so friendly and accommodating in every way. Great customer service is so important and the people at this hotel really go above and beyond to make you feel right at home. The smoothies are so fresh and free-flowing, and the food was really delicious.

We were intrigued that there are only 5 rooms on the property and thought we'd go for it. We don't always like staying at the big resort type places, we like to really experience the country and you don't really get that at a chain resort. Plus, it was nice to get to know some of the locals and push ourselves out of our comfort zone a bit. The other couples staying there were super cool and down-to-earth, we stayed up drinking wine with them after dinner a couple times, swapping stories... It was so fun!

My husband and I talk about how we would love to go back there someday with a bunch of other couples and rent the whole place out. It would be like we had our own mansion with a private chef, concierge, etc. Dreamy. The pool is great, the view is gorgeous, and there is lots of wildlife. We went for a walk and saw a ton of Howler monkeys.

The bumpy road you have to take to get there that everyone seems to mention is... well, bumpy. But that's Costa Rica for you, there are lots of unpaved roads and it's worth each and every bump once you arrive.

Go to Los Altos. If you're cool, you'll love it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lambron
Tatiana C, General Manager at Los Altos de Eros, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you so much for acknowledging our amazing staff...they have been here for years. They love working here and that's what you feel as a guest. We sincerely hope you come back with several other couples and take over the whole place...remember, now we have 6 rooms!
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent 4 days at Los Altos in mid august for our honeymoon. we booked the trip based on the tripadvisor reviews which i must say are spot on. we loved the property, the view and overall intimate set up of Los Altos. what really sets this place apart though are Calvin, Ari, Tatiana and the entire staff who do everything possible to make you feel at home. The food was outstanding, the spa was very good, and the service was off the charts. whether it was the cooking class with Chef Monserrat., the morning walks with Cocoa, the family style dinners or heading into town for some surfing and fun, the overall stay was wonderful and we cant wait to go back. it was such a great stay that we cancelled our last night at our other hotel (supposed to be one of best in Costa Rica) in order to come back to Los Altos for the final night.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed good. was hardly ever in room but would recommend the rooms closest to the spa as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yateszee
We love it when guests leave here to go to another resort and then show up back here the next day because there is just no comparison ! You can check out but you can't leave LADE.
cincinnati
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just returned from Los Altos de Eros celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Our third time to Costa Rica and cannot say enough about the resort. From the time you step off the plane until your return home you are pampered and treated like a treasured guest. My husband loves to surf and the staff accommodated his early morning requests each day, in fact offering him a smoothie or coffee before he left. Our Saturday evening complimentary dinner was delicious, tenderloin baked in the wood burning oven and each breakfast was wholesome and tasty. My facial at the spa was relaxing and the view over the valley was breathtaking. The staff could not do enough: laundry, drinks , advice. The cooking class with Monserrat was the highlight. My husband who was a little skeptical, enjoyed every minute including eating the fruits of our labor. Would return and highly recommend. A retreat at the top of the world!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bwall
"Thank you for all the great comments about our cuisine. One of the great shortcomings of most vacation destinations is the lack of really great food. That won't happen here- We now have Chef Andrea...and she is taking us to new levels!
Savage, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Let me first start off by saying that when you see a place that comes so well reviewed, you might be skeptical. I booked my trip based on these reviews and couldn't help feeling that it would be "too good to be true." We spent a week here in mid-September and this place far exceeded our expectations. Los Altos De Eros is a home away from home. My only regret is not booking a longer stay. Highlights of the resort: The food is gourmet and after eating here for one night, you won't want to eat out (dinner prices are very reasonable). I informed the staff before arriving that I have a gluten allergy and they were more than accomodating. If there was something I couldn't eat, they offered me an alternative. Meals are served at the same table as other guests in the resort and we had a great time hanging out with everyone. Great bunch of people during our stay. No need to rent a car or call a cab, the drivers will take you where you need to go. The staff will set up any activities you want to do from surf lessons to zip line tours. We stayed close by and did the zip lines at Pura Aventura and the Pinilla ATV tour (highly recommend). If you like to surf, go with Luis @ Radical Surf CR. You won't be dissapointed. Each day when you return, you'll find your clothes are washed and folded in your room. Never before have I went home with a suitcase full of clean clothes! We absolutely love this place and are already planning our return. A special thanks to Calvin the owner, great job with this place. Thank you also to Ari, Tatiana, Yanina, Antonio, Mauedo, Greydin, all of the cooks and the rest of the staff I didn't meet personally. You do a great job here and made this a great vacation for us. Hasta pronto.

Room Tip: I don't know that this place has a bad room. Check the website to see a virtual tour. We loved t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jgris
Tatiana C, Gerente at Los Altos de Eros, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your review- we share all the reviews with the staff, and it is very important to hear that our efforts make people happy. We are very interested in learning about any dietary issues, because we do everything to keep our guests safe.

You are now a member of our family...remember that you will always have a home waiting for you in costa rica!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We spent 10 nights at Los Altos at the end of August. There is little we can add to the extensive reviews that have already been posted here. Los Altos is medicine for the soul. You are cocooned in a warm, fuzzy bubble for your entire stay - you feel safe, comfortable, *full* : ) - your every need is catered for. It is quiet. It is private. It is clean. It is modern but traditional. We loved the King Room as you have your own private deck with a perfect view of the ocean, forest, hummingbirds and (cute, little!) lizards. As much as we went away to spend time together, we also loved meeting new people over the dinner table - who you can spend as much or as little time with as you wish while you are there. We made some great new friends.

As an aside, we are a (low key) same sex couple and were a little wary of the reception we would get, but we needn't have worried - Calvin, Tatiana, Ari, Hanniah, Francisco, Montserrat - everyone could not have been nicer. Special mention also to Coco the gorgeous lab. I fell in love with him and cried when I had to leave.

The only minor fly in the ointment, and really this is minor, was that the treadmill was out of service. But otherwise we had the time of our lives.

Room Tip: It's really down to personal preference.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissMarpleTheCat
Tatiana C, Managers at Los Altos de Eros, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. WE HAD TEARS IN OUR EYES, TOO!
Guests like you are the reason why we enjoy our work so much and the cause of the smiles on our faces.